Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70192 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is centered about killing enemies. It's the key part of the FUN of DF, and taking it out turns DF into a boring city simulator.

Also, most of mechanics in the game are used only during combat. Bodyparts, weapons, armor, traps, siege weapons, physical strength, all these things matter only for combat. You can deny it all you want, but Dwarf Fortress is a game centered around killing stuff.
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »

...although adding peacetime crime and plagues would make the city simulation much less boring.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »

I embarked in a tile away from a dark fortress with 10,000 gobbos and 5,000 trolls. Nothing happened for years. I think it would feel more "realistic" if the goblins would send a couple of soldiers ASAP to fuck up those 7 crazy dwarfs who are trying to build a new fortress within spitting distance of their capital.
This. The current setup should be satisfying to NEITHER people who want to be attacked NOR people who enjoy realism, because it is accomplishing neither.

If you can fix it by just making them slightly more aggressive or something, then great. If it's too much more complicated than that, though, then I don't think we should have to wait for 2 years for a more complicated solution with a game that is boring for anybody who knows the basics of setting up a fort already.

Spawning goblins is an easy fix until the more complicated things can be put in place. But sure, only if actually necessary. Go ahead and try some simple realistic fixes first, by all means. Smaller armies that circulate more might help too.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »

An easy way to fix this would be to allow smaller raiding parties to leave goblin fortresses as well as big armies. Small forts, below the size needed for a mayor, would be attacked by these parties of perhaps 20 goblins or so, and they would range over a short distance around the fortress. Just making them more aggressive to very close forts could also work if it did not unbalance the game in other ways.

Spawning goblins, if it is implemented as a stopgap fix, should be optional, at least by DFhack or something.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2014, 04:16:55 pm »

I'm slowly growing the highly uninformed thought that eventually DF will cease to function before "1.0" is realized.. I'm just not so sure I care where the army that just attacked me came from, even if I were able to trace their movement through Legends, or to research the squad commander and find out his son was kidnapped by the opposing army and is now their leader..

I dunno.. I may not muster up the eloquence I need, here.. :> For now it feels like every siege can be handled with the exact same tactics, and it barely matters who is out there needing killed.. Just with the enhanced fruit/plant set-up, its easier than ever to just close the gate and ignore attackers.. It always makes me think of Terraria and their "clown" enemy, who had the unique power of being able to destroy things you built.. That clown had the power to strike fear into your heart, and enough people complained about fear so that now the clown bombs cannot destroy blocks (and as a result I view the clown as.. well, a clown!)

Not saying we complained the fear out of DF, at all! Just saying that recent updates have enhanced survivability while adding little-to-no new danger elements to the game.. For instance, now that food production is quite a bit easier, maybe its time to consider implementing that food-rot/preservation mechanic fully.. or maybe try to get rising water levels added back in..

A part of the "I'm SAFE!!" feeling a lot of players have had recently could be due to a lack of danger in the natural world.. Somewhere I suggested 'animal migration' swarms, where a herd of randomized-yet-plausible animals (wolves, bears, keas, snakes, birds, anything, really..) enter and cross the map from east-to-west/west-to-east or north-south/south-north, like they're migrating across.. I'm sure other things are coming later on, like on-site sabotage, but for now I think DF balance is thrown off by an overly large influx of "good" content..

We need more evil :> Ah, and its always nice to keep options available for setting up a fully peaceful world (or fully psychotic world), just to cater to that play style..

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2014, 04:18:55 pm »

So is anyone getting attacked regularly by goblins and have tips to ensure they are attacking?

Might try very few civilisations and hope the lack of them encourages the goblins to attack me, rather than anyone else.

As LOSING IS FUN, and it's getting harder to lose, not losing is quite often quite boring.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

If you don't want to get attacked, there are better city simulators. If you want to fight war, there are better war games.

But Dwarf Fortress is a special kind of both, and more. That's why I play it, anyway. Or used to. I'll have to wait until invasions actually happen again.

It's fun and all to make defenses, that is true. But it's no fun unless they are eventually tested, so that we can see how well they work, or die hilariously.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2014, 04:36:47 pm »

Well, things are just like aways for me... I think you guys are suffering from the old "forgot to check neighborhood before embarking" problem. It's just that now embarking needs extra attention, because distance.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »

I have Fortress Defense installed, a three year fort and 60 dwarves. 230000 created wealth. So yes, I do believe I should have seen a goblin ambush, not to mention a frogman siege.

All I have seen is three kobold thieves. Nothing more.

It's not worth it playing dwarf fortress without enemies.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:53:32 pm by Naryar »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »

Oh, I think you got angered the RNG... Anyone made the bug report yet? This may get fixed soon, but probably without "goblins out of thin air" workaround.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2014, 05:00:47 pm »

I hope toady sees all this and fixes something.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »

Well, he probably already saw, and the bug report ensures that he will take care of it sooner or later. Besides this isn't a small issue like undergarments over pants(yes, I'm talking about you, superdudes) this is a gamebreaking bug, so will be taken care of soon.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »

community fort i'm in is enjoying some attacks. Population just hit 80 again (had dropped from some FB's somehow enterring the fort).

Feel free to ask for a turn: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142169.300
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:30 pm »

I don't know if anyone play Adventure mode , but in adventure mode you sometime run into "army in march" , troops that leave their homeplace to go attack another location.

Unfortunately there's a big bug there ( reported here ) that is present since the 1st release of DF2014 : you will notice those armies will stop to camp, but then will never move again, when you get to such location, you usually notice that the "armies" are not only very small, ... but more importantly they're sleeping, you can wait day , night , months, whatever , they will never wake up.

It's not only armies, it's nearly every groups (refugees too) and not only goblins but dwarves/humans/elven "armies" (well small parties i should say) that are affected.

Now that Fortress Mode is working together with Adventure Mode, i wonder if this big adventure mode bug is responsible too of the boring lack of invaders despite one may play with invaders enabled and close to goblin sites.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:58:12 pm by Robsoie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2014, 12:06:49 am »

I don't know if anyone play Adventure mode , but in adventure mode you sometime run into "army in march" , troops that leave their homeplace to go attack another location.

Unfortunately there's a big bug there ( reported here ) that is present since the 1st release of DF2014 : you will notice those armies will stop to camp, but then will never move again, when you get to such location, you usually notice that the "armies" are not only very small, ... but more importantly they're sleeping, you can wait day , night , months, whatever , they will never wake up.

It's not only armies, it's nearly every groups (refugees too) and not only goblins but dwarves/humans/elven "armies" (well small parties i should say) that are affected.

Now that Fortress Mode is working together with Adventure Mode, i wonder if this big adventure mode bug is responsible too of the boring lack of invaders despite one may play with invaders enabled and close to goblin sites.

Actually, I've seen big groups, including the one I linked to in the report there.  Oddly, that army kept respawning, even after using DFhack to give them a magma bath.

I've also seen armies consisting of animals for some odd reason.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28