Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Pokemon Rivals Tournament #3, the rivalening  (Read 15944 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Rivals Tournament #3, the rivalening
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 10:48:04 am »

Alright, I should be on Showdown for the next 7 hours or so, with a break for lunch. Hopefully I can catch Orb and Broken. I'll try and be on tonight as well, just in case.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »

I'm double-posting to let everyone know I'm done with the route rework. Every Pokemon can be found on at least 2 routes, the majority of them can be found on 3 or 4. I just realized that none of the Pokemon I had in my preliminary party of 6 are found on the first set of routes though, so I'll be right along with you all in figuring out how to use the available Pokemon to fill out your teams. Anyway, the full spreadsheet of route lists is HERE, and I'll post lists for the individual routes as we get to them. If you want to start looking at the first three, here they are in spoiler form. Lists include National Dex numbers and names, and are sorted by dex number.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

I already knew what I'd pick, and I'm glad to see it's still there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »

Broken vs. Me. Broken wins.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:07 pm »

Hum I realized in my second battle that i was using a level 25 vulpix ( I had built my team days ago, and i thought combat started at round 2. Sorry Bluerobin)

Anyway, me vs Urist. Urist wins thanks to recover, despite the sun.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-188671591
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:02:13 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »

So we need to redo our battle, right?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:49 pm »

I was expecting to have to stall out the sun.

If I catch a pokemon that evolves at/before level 25, am I allowed to evolve it before round 2?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2014, 03:00:30 pm »

So we need to redo our battle, right?

Yep
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »

Yes. You could have a Butterfree, Ivysaur, or Escavalier. You can have moves that earier evolutions could learn, but only if it could have actually been done by leveling up (you could have a Butterfree with Bug Bite since Caterpie learns it at level 15, but that Butterfree wouldn't know Sleep Powder because it wasn't a Butterfree at level 12). You can assume if you take an evolved Pokemon that it would have moves it would only learn at level 1 once it evolved, like Double Edge on Escavalier. I'm going to say that if a Pokemon has a move it learns at Start or Level 1 AND later on (like Fell Stinger on Escavalier), then you can't start with it, you have to learn it later when it's naturally learned, just to keep a sort of consistency with the Egg Move rule.

Edit: Rematch with Broken ended the same way: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-188676510

Edit2: Huh. Apparently Conversion 2 doesn't work in Showdown. It appears to be the only move that's broken, so it shouldn't really affect anyone other than me, and I'm getting rid of it next turn so that's ok.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:18:12 pm by Bluerobin »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »

Me vs Rory. I win despite infavorable matching type.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-188686616

Lots of sand spam.

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 04:06:24 pm »

With the routes, can we catch Pokemon that shouldn't exist at level 25?
Signatures are displayed at teh bottom of each post or personal message.

Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 379

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2014, 04:09:46 pm »

No and I don't think Showdown will allow it either. I just haven't taken the couple hours that it would take to filter through all of the Pokemon and do that. It wouldn't be completely accurate either, because later on you can go back and get a Pokemon from a route you didn't travel down, and the higher level would mean you could get more evolved mons.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »

I don't think Showdown will allow it either.
It does. Just tested with a level 10 Azumarill.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »

Oh ok, I think that's new in the past year because we ran into that issue in the first or second tournament. But yeah, it's supposed to mimic a playthrough of the game, so you're typically going to find things that have moves and evolution states appropriate to their level. The new mechanic in ORAS where you can end up catching wild Pokemon with a single egg move works out well, since that's about the best you can hope for here as well.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2014, 05:23:59 pm »

Still online for a bit, but I'll probably be off in less than an hour.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14