Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Nations of Etraxia OOC  (Read 25051 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nations of Etraxia OOC
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:06 am »

I take it different resources would be worth different amounts in total?

Yes; gold is far more valuable than grain (however, grain can have more useful strategic bonuses).

Also, for the purposes of trade agreements, it would probably be best if everyone did reveal the resources that they got for those purposes?

Yes; people will obviously want to earn the maximum cash possible, so they'll probably want to know what they're trading. And they'd find out after trading it anyway.

Keep in mind, also: You can either get the passive, or use a strategic effect of the resource - either on yourself or someone else. You cannot do both. So if you want to maximize the amount of CASH you're getting from the trade route, do not use the trade goods strategically - just let your merchants go crazy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:47:01 am by DontBanTheMan »
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:59 am »

Alright, I'll be the one to take a lead on this then: I can offer the furs of many an exotic beast that had it's skull caved in, it's skin torn off and it's- You get the picture :P

Still, the sort of thing you don't want to leave at the market.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2014, 12:55:12 am »

Alright, I'll be the one to take a lead on this then: I can offer the furs of many an exotic beast that had it's skull caved in, it's skin torn off and it's- You get the picture :P

Still, the sort of thing you don't want to leave at the market.

Man, those animal freaks in Xerithania are gunna loooooove this.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:47 am »

Could we get some numbers to compare our stats to? Right now I am feeling a bit lost regarding what to consider "alot" and little in for example population and economic strength

Do a city need to connect directly to the coast on the map to be considered a coastal city?

Can you explain the practical differences between resources and wealth? When do I use resources compared to wealth? 

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2014, 01:40:15 am »

Resources are likely used to actually build things and the like, where as wealth only buys resources, and pays your troops.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2014, 01:43:29 am »

Could we get some numbers to compare our stats to? Right now I am feeling a bit lost regarding what to consider "alot" and little in for example population and economic strength

Do a city need to connect directly to the coast on the map to be considered a coastal city?

Can you explain the practical differences between resources and wealth? When do I use resources compared to wealth?

Most people have in the range of 330,000 population, give or take a few tens of thousand.  Economic size correlates with population, and is where wealth comes from.

No, if a city is obviously right next to the coast, it is a coastal city.

Resources: Use for building buildings, training troops, etc. (think of this as stone, lumber, bronze, etc.)
Wealth: It's money. Use it for what you would use money for. (paying people, paying troops, buying stuff; most stuff will require money)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:46:59 am by DontBanTheMan »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:22 am »

Most people have in the range of 330,000 population, give or take a few tens of thousand.  Economic size correlates with population, and is where wealth comes from.

No, if a city is obviously right next to the coast, it is a coastal city.

Resources: Use for building buildings, training troops, etc. (think of this as stone, lumber, bronze, etc.)
Wealth: It's money. Use it for what you would use money for.

Thanks for the clarifications. Could you also give a similar comparison regarding the national power? What is considered good and bad? And I assume that these national powers act as passive buffers to actions, that they aren't expandable?

Also:
Narsis is willing to open up traderouts with secular civilisations, with exotic dye as our main commodity.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:56:04 am by Evil Marahadja »

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2014, 02:52:27 am »

Thanks for the clarifications. Could you also give a similar comparison regarding the national power? What is considered good and bad? And I assume that these national powers act as passive buffers to actions, that they aren't expandable?

National Power is essentially how skilled your leader is (and his advisors). Good is 5-6, bad is 1-2. It is not passive (other than to represent how skilled your leader is); you generate power and can use that power on actions; some actions (exploring, quelling unrest, annexing) require power, and others (searching for resources, spying, reforms) greatly benefit from it. In general, without power, you cannot effectively do actions of that category. The only way to change your power/turn is to get a new leader or acquire new advisors.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:55:57 am by DontBanTheMan »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2014, 03:00:10 am »

...Well, if 6 is good...

* Taricus smiles evilly

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2014, 11:41:20 am »

I have gems and grain available for trade(no horses, sadly...). Can I ask what strategic bonuses grain gives? I'm guessing it helps out with troops and possibly public order(bread 'n circuses, after all)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2014, 12:00:24 pm »

So is anyone willing to trade? I am most interested to trade with Playergamer and Theyakami, because of relative closeness, but other trade-routs are acceptable aswell. Even though sea-trade is ineffective now we need some kind of initiative for our merchants to start coming up with more durable and faster boats.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »

- Do players have to have a land border to allow trade? Does having a nation allow sea trade to occur, or does more research need to take place?
If each player has a coastal city, no land border is required. Also, if you both have a trade agreement with a nation between you, you can form a trade agreement with each other, port or no. Sea trade tends to be horribly inefficient (think 1/3 efficiency) until Sailing and more advanced research is gotten.
Also, the sea trade being super inefficient is really weird...even in bronze age greece, Athens rose to power as a maritime trading power for a reason...it's typically cheaper to put something on a boat and ship it halfway across the world then it is to put it on a cart and send it to the next city over...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

theyamikami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »

I have Silver, and Citrus.

Evil, I would trade with you once I find more advanced shipping technology.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

- Do players have to have a land border to allow trade? Does having a nation allow sea trade to occur, or does more research need to take place?
If each player has a coastal city, no land border is required. Also, if you both have a trade agreement with a nation between you, you can form a trade agreement with each other, port or no. Sea trade tends to be horribly inefficient (think 1/3 efficiency) until Sailing and more advanced research is gotten.
Also, the sea trade being super inefficient is really weird...even in bronze age greece, Athens rose to power as a maritime trading power for a reason...it's typically cheaper to put something on a boat and ship it halfway across the world then it is to put it on a cart and send it to the next city over...

Once you have sailing, it will not be super inefficient (a large reason for this is because the Mediterranean is an inland sea, meaning ships didn't really need to have sails; in the ocean, though, it's pretty much required to travel long distances).

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »

I have gems and grain available for trade(no horses, sadly...). Can I ask what strategic bonuses grain gives? I'm guessing it helps out with troops and possibly public order(bread 'n circuses, after all)

Hmmm, I changed your sheet because I forgot that you were like horse people. You no longer have grain, but you have horses now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27