Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74185 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »

I predict that arguing with you is useless, so I am not going to comment your posts any further.

You start with an accusation that the west is to blame and then act offended when I turn it around.  What possible purpose does this serve except to be a dick?  You just act like a dick, wait for someone to call you a dick and then tell them your rude.

Hey guys, what do you think the possible outcome will be that the Russian government is tyrannical and wants to kill as many non-Russians as possible?  I ask politely so please dont antagonize me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:44:06 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »

I predict that arguing with you is useless, so I am not going to comment your posts any further.

You start with an accusation that the west is to blame and then act offended when I turn it around.  What possible purpose does this serve except to be a dick?  You just act like a dick, wait for someone to call you a dick and then tell them your rude.
Both the west and Russia are to blame for getting into this hardheaded conrontation and prolonging the war.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2014, 04:48:15 pm »

Both the west and Russia are to blame for getting into this hardheaded conrontation and prolonging the war.

Yeah just keep telling yourself that, buddy.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »

Why make an agreement with someone who just broke several? Also "we take what we want" is not exactly a compromise. "West" would effectively lose its creditability and face by just letting Russia, that has the initiative now, get whatever it wants.

Do Russians understand that EU and NATO both to a very large degree exist because people are fed up with wars and arms races and don't really happen to care if their countries are world wide military powers or not, and especially they don't want the borders to be moved in Europe by force ever again. The scars of the 2 world wars remain very deep.

One can understand Russia's behavior but it doesn't need to be accepted.

I predict that Russians will continue to blame Obama for their own aggression.

Probably.

It should be easy to to pull troops out of East Ukraine. It would have been easy to not annex Crimea.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:04 pm »

Yeah just keep telling yourself that, buddy.
Fine, Russia's evil, Putin's Hitler, no excuse for invading Ukraine. Can we please get to actual discussion now?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »

Semi-related, Russia being our neighbor and a most peace loving totally not at all an expansionist power led by former KGB warmongers, I just received a letter yesterday informing me of my promotion to the rank that probably matches Staff Sergeant(edit: or Sergeant 1st class, I'm not sure tbh as we have considerably less ranks in use) in the US Army.

The enclose also contained a "how-to-self-update-your-military-passport" guide(although I dont have one, the last ones were issued in the 90s or something) and an invite for one to a promotion event with a buffet table and live music.
Finland? If then, you shouldn't worry. We still remember how you kicked our asses in the Winter War and how you saved Saint-Petersburg by didn't kicking our asses in the Second World War.

Why worry? I've had this avatar picture since I registered. These colors don't run.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »

Fine, Russia's evil, Putin's Hitler, no excuse for invading Ukraine. Can we please get to actual discussion now?

What's to discuss?  You start with the assumption that the big bad west should give Putin a free hand in Ukraine.  We disagree with that assumption.  Discussion of that goes nowhere.  If we disagree on this point then all discussion will come back to it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »

And also easy to not do it right after the Olympics which makes Russia look like a complete jerk and that they don't care about their reputation.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2014, 05:03:04 pm »

Well, I got it. You are very confrontational mainiac: time and time again I find myself agreeing with you in substance, but wishing you were wrong just so I could put you down.
Who needs enemies when you've got friends like these, amirite?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »

And also easy to not do it right after the Olympics which makes Russia look like a complete jerk and that they don't care about their reputation.

So it would look better if they did before it or waited a year for it? 
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2014, 05:06:38 pm »

So it would look better if they did before it or waited a year for it? 

Not really.

No idea where my reasoning is going here actually since you have me stumped for an answer.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »

Well I think that bluntness is a virtue when faced with doublespeak or evasion.  It's much better to call someone a dirty name then to deceive them.  Frankly I find it disturbing that people put the appearance of respect above respecting someone enough to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:11:41 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »

But let's get back onto tracks: can anybody imagine the future of this conflict? Obama has so far refused all of Putin's attempts to reach a compromise at the G20, while Vova has equally steadfastly refused to yield to the western demands and intends to make this a show of will. Escalation, both in warfare and in rhethoric, seems inevitable, and in the worst case scenario we will get another positional artillery war with no clear goal and, consequently, piles of corpses.

Russia will back up because of sanctions (dont think it will happen), or the things will move in favour of rebels with retaking  the east ukraine and stopping there. But pro rebel control areas are lost for sure, as it lost local support of ukraine after the fuck ups it did.
Make love not war

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »

I mean that sounds nice but I've been thinking about it for about ten minutes now and dont see how it really would work in this case.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »

EDIT: fixed broken abbr tag.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:25:58 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62