Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Chess Discussion Thread  (Read 9573 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Chess Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:44 pm »

I'm fond of chess, and I taught my niece how to play as well.  I'm not especially good, though, since I have an awkward tendency not to think things through. 

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »

Forum chess, eh? I think that there might be some applicable Unicode you could use with teletype.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

Forum chess, eh? I think that there might be some applicable Unicode you could use with teletype.
So, something like...
ABCDEFGH
...this?  It seems a bit more difficult to distinguish, even with dots added to more readily distinguish empty squares.  I think classic notation symbols and color-coding (I used red-blue since red used to be a valid substitution for white and since white-black would have difficulties on either the black or white forum themes, but any others could work) might be easier to distinguish. 

ABCDEFGH
8RNBQKBNR
7PPPPPPPP
2PPPPPPPP
1RNBQKBNR
Of course, the real issue with both is that updating the board each turn might be a bit of an issue. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:51:14 pm by Culise »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:40 pm »

Eh, just state your move, and make it on the board yourself. Cheating would be pretty obvious.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »

I was thinking more "tedious" than "chicanery" as far as potential issues, but if it works, it works.  I wouldn't be averse to playing forum chess again, myself, even with that in mind.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »

chess

We actually had a bay 12 chess group a few years back. We played on chess.com. A tournament was organized at one point, but I don't remember how it turned out. Interest was high for a while then dropped off after a couple months.

If bay12 wants to do chess again, I'm in.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:36 pm »

Yeah, I saw that thread and I was thinking for a while before deciding to make a new thread.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:53 am »

If Bay12 Chess is going to be a thing I will definitely create an account for that site or whatever.

I can promise I won't show up for any kind of tournament though.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:12 am »

Talking about tournaments remind me that I should also put lichess.org up on the list.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »

Participated to the last tournament and if were going to have another go, I'm in this time as well.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 12:54:57 pm »

Does Caroline run lichess.com?

I've never really got into chess although I can play moderately acceptably. The only person I could play against until I got internet access was my brother who's a provincial level player. That was quite dicouraging.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:24 am »

I usually won at chess, but the only people I played agaisnt were my high school friends, so I don't think that counts.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »

Pretty much the same story here. I went from winning local tournaments and consistently beating everyone I knew...to stepping into the world of nationally ranked players, and losing horribly. Kind of a funny story when I made that switch. Guy casually mentioned to my employer at a business meeting that he played chess. So she got all excited and asked him to play me, and made some sort of bet to settle some thing that had been in dispute at the meeting. We agreed, I was all internally triumphant, thinking "haha! I'm going to play this off casually then slaughter him yay!"

After about five moves in he starts to get this confused look on his face that just kept growing as the game continued. Eventually I make a move, and he just...stops. Looks at the board, leans in frowns, then looks bewildered. Eventually he shrugs and basically says "ok, I don't get it. I don't see it. You're probably going to win, but I'm sorry...I just really don't see it."

So he makes this totally innocuous move that to me looks like it has no bearing on anything.

I was in checkmate, like 10 moves later.

Three moves? Absolutely. Anyone can do three.  Five? Sure, I've done five. Not consistently, but I've done it. No, this was genuinely like ten moves ahead that he saw checkmate. I asked him to walk me through it, and he did.  I remember asking him if he was a grandmaster and his response was "no, no...nothing like that." Pause "But I've played a few."

That was about when I realized I was a big fish relative only to the size of a very small pond.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

Sounds like we should all play, for I too am a big fish in small ponds.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

Fuckin hell, one thing I'm actually good at in my rather boring and feature-less life! All in for a b12 tournament.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7