Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70981 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Jedi Mind Tricks
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2014, 02:40:00 am »

((Orion's going to run out of energy eventually~ Then the wolf will play~))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2014, 02:46:38 am »

"Fascinating! Been a while since I've seen a display of localized psionics like this. Hmm, do you think we should intervene?"

Jaina hears the dialogue soon after.
"Wait, he's making threats?"

She switches to comms.
'Assistance requested in the hall outside the bar. Target named 'Orion' is making threats against Guild personnel. Take him alive if possible.'

Flip the switch. Bash his head in. Either works. Incapacitate him. Ignore his threat. He can't do anything worse then disable the connection of mine for a second. Too many lockout mechanisms in the mechanical augments of mine for him to use them. Reestablishing connection.

Poor Deuce gets subverted again instead of Orion himself speaking.

"Nanites? Electronics don't work well in regions of high magnetic flux. All it takes is a thought to fry your whole system..."

[4-1] Nerin's augmented vision gives him a warning about high energy particles. Tachyons, to be specific. Tuning in, Nerin sees them coming from the red bead and immediately recognizes the pattern. It's a message, running on an outdated encoding patented by GenTek in its early years, bearing some similarities to the up-to-date protocol KX9 use. Worth investigating.

The message consists of a string of encrypted integers representing uppercase ASCII characters. It reads: PLAN B ON YOUR CALL.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:51:45 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2014, 02:49:38 am »

Atlos, being prudent, surreptitiously double-checks the self-defense capabilities of his travel unit.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2014, 02:56:32 am »

Atlos, being prudent, surreptitiously double-checks the self-defense capabilities of his travel unit.

[1] Your unit unfortunately lacks any sort of weapons.

[4] The glass should withstand anything a drunken person, psionically subverted or not, could throw at it. Small arms fire too. Flare launchers and other emergency equipment could technically be used for defense.
The unit also has a smokescreen of sorts, projecting a cloud of harmful nanite-based toxins which cause temporary blindness and dizziness when inhaled, and bypass most forms of biological or even augmented immunity. The unit's onboard computer can selectively choose to mark nearby beings as friendly, allowing the cloud to be used offensively if you can catch up to the targets.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2014, 03:07:19 am »

(That sphere would probably fry his travel unit pretty fast, though he doesn't know that.)

Atlos deemed that, at this moment, it would not be prudent to intervene. "Any idea what that is they're fighting over?"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2014, 03:17:02 am »

Nerin relays all data known about Orion and the bead so far through the Worldgate to Den 63. "High priority research object and knowledgable subject. Potential Cascade Event in progress. Potential Lost GenTec Asset involvement. Mobilize Researchcore and Combatcore. This is Nerin/Valrak of Scoutcore. Priority Two situation, potentially Priority One. Retrieval of subject's brain intact is preferable to retrieve data." Worry, concern, bleeding over anger from Valrak. Anxiety.

"I'm mobilizing KX9 assets and agents. New data suggests Orion is a high priority target. The KX9 will retrieve him. He will not leave this system outside of custody. Preferably alive, but we only need his brain."

Valrak leaves the fray and returns to Nerin when Nerin relays the new data to him.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2014, 03:54:04 am »

(That sphere would probably fry his travel unit pretty fast, though he doesn't know that.)

Atlos deemed that, at this moment, it would not be prudent to intervene. "Any idea what that is they're fighting over?"

"Looks like a... jewel? I saw him snatch it out of a cup on the table as he ran"

Nerin relays all data known about Orion and the bead so far through the Worldgate to Den 63. "High priority research object and knowledgable subject. Potential Cascade Event in progress. Potential Lost GenTec Asset involvement. Mobilize Researchcore and Combatcore. This is Nerin/Valrak of Scoutcore. Priority Two situation, potentially Priority One. Retrieval of subject's brain intact is preferable to retrieve data." Worry, concern, bleeding over anger from Valrak. Anxiety.

"I'm mobilizing KX9 assets and agents. New data suggests Orion is a high priority target. The KX9 will retrieve him. He will not leave this system outside of custody. Preferably alive, but we only need his brain."

Valrak leaves the fray and returns to Nerin when Nerin relays the new data to him.

You receive multiple affirmation pings from throughout the system, and also from the direction of the worldgate. It seems backup is indeed on its way, although not immediately. KX9's have lives and business of their own, although the threat of a cascade is enough to mobilize most.

One ping comes from a KX9 on another part of the Askarian ridge. Some thoughts bleed over, mostly enthusiasm and a sort of mental knuckle cracking of sorts.

It's unclear exactly how the KX9's will track him before the ships arrive. However, being wanted by an FTL hivemind is never a good thing. If he gets away from this world, he won't get far.

"I suppose that saves us the trouble? Can you tell me about that red gem? Seems like a petty thing to fight over.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:32 am »

((Okay I have no idea of what I'm meant to do here. Just wait? Argh!))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:46 am »

Tachyon emitting crystalline structure. Some gamma as well. Reacts violently with metal. Metal heats up and melts rapidly. Valrak is not equipped with the nonlethal ranged weapons required to to take down the subject and his augments are too plentiful to engage at close range with that thing active. It may be computerized to some extent based on a burst tachyon transmission it made. Potentially sapient. Also possibly related to the now defunct GenTec. KX9 have a vested interest in all those. If the subject had not engaged guild personal, it would not have been discovered. Also may as well catalogue the subject's implants. His brain is more important though. What he knows.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Shady dealings
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »

'McMarlo, you're not in the bar. What's the status on the captain?'

"Well, not here, but the broker has records, lots of records that go on forever..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »

((Okay I have no idea of what I'm meant to do here. Just wait? Argh!))

((The waiting is supposed to be the motivation to do something. ;)

You're not supposed to wait.))

Tachyon emitting crystalline structure. Some gamma as well. Reacts violently with metal. Metal heats up and melts rapidly. Valrak is not equipped with the nonlethal ranged weapons required to to take down the subject and his augments are too plentiful to engage at close range with that thing active. It may be computerized to some extent based on a burst tachyon transmission it made. Potentially sapient. Also possibly related to the now defunct GenTec. KX9 have a vested interest in all those. If the subject had not engaged guild personal, it would not have been discovered. Also may as well catalogue the subject's implants. His brain is more important though. What he knows.

"A shame I left my repeater in the cockpit. We really should carry concealed arms during non-operational trips, though I didn't quite expect something like this.

I presume the KX9 are going to surround the planet and associated worldgates? Would they be willing to join us in the assault on Ulysses after the orbital defenses are down? Could use all the help we can find."

Nerin feels another transmission, this time using heavier encryption than before. You are still able to crack it although the computational work has drained a significant amount of carbohydrates from your system.
It reads: YOU ARE BEING TRACKED BY KX9 MAINTAINING RADIO SILENCE UNLESS NEEDED.

"Well, not here, but the broker has records, lots of records that go on forever..."

'I see. How long will it take for his computer to go through the files? If needed, I can download the records to the shuttle and fly over the cloud belt in order to transmit them to the colony fleet.'

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »

"Sir or Madam Dwarf (this hasn't been specified)* has computing power at the speed of thumb." McMarlo said, not explaining.

*McMarlo says this out loud, in a carrying way that anyone in the room he is in can't possibly miss
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:33:51 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2014, 04:40:17 pm »

Nerin relays the new data to the KX9. "Subject appears capable of decoding data from the groupmind. Sending a 63 to synchronize the retrieval group is advisable." Interest. Curiosity. Annoyance. Some bleedover anger from Valrak.

"The KX9 have no interest in the station currently. Honestly I'm confused as to why you didn't just launch BFG's at it. Kinetic Mass Bombardment for a station that can't move out of its orbital path. A big enough projectile prevents deflection by stationborne weapons and shields. If it's going fast enough it'll destroy the defenses and cause the station to begin falling out of orbit. Although then you can dock ships and boost it back into a stable orbit. Minimal collateral damage. Maybe some civilian deaths. But generally a military operation has civilian casualties regardless. If you provide compensation in the form of raw material, some of Combatcore may be willing to help. Although with a Priority two/one subject and item.. They may be more interested in securing it."

"Bartender. What food do you have that's high in calories and carbs?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll 7- Intermission
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:17 pm »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

Nerin relays the new data to the KX9. "Subject appears capable of decoding data from the groupmind. Sending a 63 to synchronize the retrieval group is advisable." Interest. Curiosity. Annoyance. Some bleedover anger from Valrak.

"The KX9 have no interest in the station currently. Honestly I'm confused as to why you didn't just launch BFG's at it. Kinetic Mass Bombardment for a station that can't move out of its orbital path. A big enough projectile prevents deflection by stationborne weapons and shields. If it's going fast enough it'll destroy the defenses and cause the station to begin falling out of orbit. Although then you can dock ships and boost it back into a stable orbit. Minimal collateral damage. Maybe some civilian deaths. But generally a military operation has civilian casualties regardless. If you provide compensation in the form of raw material, some of Combatcore may be willing to help. Although with a Priority two/one subject and item.. They may be more interested in securing it."

"Bartender. What food do you have that's high in calories and carbs?"

Jaina stares at you. She seems rather informed about the the situation for a pilot.

"Those orbital defenses are skyscraper-sized railgun platforms in separate orbits. You shoot at them, they'll shoot back with ten times the firepower. Not to mention most of the station is just habitat. Shooting it won't do anything but kill civilians. On the off chance we get lucky the nearby tugs will keep it in orbit. Either way we're not getting anywhere close until those defenses are down.

Are you suggesting we kidnap Orion and put him onboard the Megacity just so that you can bring the combatcore in? That actually sounds like a really good idea... We need to separate him from that bead, however, or else we won't have anyone capable of handling him."

The bartender replies to your request.
"Sodas, primarily. We don't really got any plants growin up here though. Just seafood and drinks."

Deuce: [2] vs (5-2) You're unable to hold your grip on Orion. He forces you to release him and gets up, running away as fast as he can.

Valrak: Orion runs away from you as soon as you get free. [5] No physical damage sustained, although your various bio-sensors have collected valuable data on your augments' reactions to high magnetic flux. This could help design better augments in the future, although you're unable to discern which logs are actually useful.

It seems that the stranger has escaped his captors, primarily due to the threat.

As his footsteps echo throughout the halls, a figure walks up to Deuce, who is currently dusting himself off and moving the unhinged door out of the way. The door itself has a crack in it that's leaking a green fluid.

The stranger, wearing a purple-white uniform with several images stenciled onto the arms and legs speaks up. She does not remove her helmet.

"Were you chasing that young man out in the hall?"

Dwarf's Office
In Utter Darkness (+2 to deception, -2 to observation, -1 to offensive combat actions)

"Ooh, shinies."

Take the plasma globe, and silently take the toy gun out of its package. Also make a mental note to have a custom suit made with a lot of pockets. Like, a shit ton of pockets.

[3+2] You silently remove the items from the cache without attracting the attention of birdman, dwarf, or human.
Even your well-adjusted eyes are unable to make out too many of the details on the packaging, however. Slicing it open, using your claws to make incisions, you discover that it looks much like a watergun for children, but the water tank actually looks (and feels) like a large capacitor.

'McMarlo, you're not in the bar. What's the status on the captain?'

[4-1] "Huh? You said sumthin?"

He holds onto his augmented monocle and looks up.
"Are you in a hurry? I'll do my best. Oh and I prefer to be addressed as Mr. Shem."

The next page takes about 20 seconds to read.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Zero Sum
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2014, 06:18:01 pm »

Give chase to Orion!
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49