Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What qualities are important for armor?  (Read 768 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
What qualities are important for armor?
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:49:56 pm »

What tokens in the raws make "better" armor?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: What qualities are important for armor?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:56:02 pm »

Depends. Are you talking about the armor itself or the materials? If its materials, ask someone else (I think the wiki might have info on this).

If you're asking about the armor itself, one of the things that's pretty standard is the COVERAGE value- this is pretty much a %chance of whether or not an attack will even hit the armor (so a 50 Coverage value wouldn't do anything half the time- think of a chainmail bikini.)
The other big thing is the LAYER_SIZE. I've done some science to determine that the bigger this number is, the more protection the piece actually offers. Of note, though- this counts towards the LAYER_PERMIT of anything going over it- make sure the two mesh. Check the wiki on this as well. They've got a good description of LAYER_PERMIT.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »

LAYER_SIZE also affects how heavy the armor is, although that doesn't really matter for anything but enemies since Armor User reduces armor weight down to nothing at very high skill levels.

oh_no

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »

LAYER_SIZE also affects how heavy the armor is, although that doesn't really matter for anything but enemies since Armor User reduces armor weight down to nothing at very high skill levels.

He just asked for better armor- it's not my fault if the dwarves can't handle the power.
Also, you sure about that? It could be the MATERIAL_SIZE
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »

I doubled the LAYER_SIZE/PERMIT of all the stuff in this thing just for funsies, and armor became extremely heavy. (And a tad too protective.)
Tripling the MATERIAL_SIZE did jackshit to the weight, and I assume it's a value purely about how much material is required to produce the item.

oh_no

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:23:03 pm »

The thicker the armor is, the better it protects. LAYER_SIZE, COVERAGE, the STEP factors (hem/sleeve/leg length) and the size of the protected body part itself all contribute to the volume. This is why greaves are so incredibly impenetrable compared to helmets and gauntlets.

MATERIAL_SIZE is only relevant for craftsmen.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I learned much information I needed.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something