Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192856 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1650 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:23 pm »

It's two diagrams, and both of them are really neat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 01, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »

Four arms would be fun on to treant.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 01, 2016, 09:15:10 pm »

Minmaxers... Unite?
Pathfinder players, I need help for my brother.
He's going to be playing a game (I'm not in) in which the DM is challenging players to create strange, wild, potentially OP characters using the Race Builder rules.
The idea is to go hog wild and find advantages.

As a starting point, he wants to play a strong character.  Probably a plant.  He considered minotaur, but it's a bit "overplayed".  So some manner of treant...  I assume with high reach, because apparently that's cheap as hell, but I don't know pathfinder at all.

He's also looking at Rock Throwing which seems pretty great for a strong slow character.

We were talking about Ent, but I think he was hoping for something even more unusual.  Remember, the DM is specifically looking for oddball stuff.

(thanks that update Sergius, how has it been going since then?  I hope it's working out)

How many racial points does he get? What class does he want to play? What level are we starting at? What amount of magical items does he have access to? Does it include custom items? Can't properly min-max without this info.

Personally I'd drop the Large size idea, since getting that is as simple as drinking a potion of Enlarge Person. You want to ideally pick stuff that isn't offered by any other easily accessed spell or ability, and will apply to almost all situations.

As an example, here's a compilation of stuff I'd put on my shortlist of must haves:

Lucky, Lesser (2 RP) - Flat +1 on all saves that stacks with everything and can't be bought
Spell-Like Ability, Lesser (1-2 RP) - Gain a 1/day spell from any first or second level list. Creativity is key here, but focus on stuff you can't get in potion form, like the Shield spell.
Spell-Like Ability, Greater (3-4 RP) - Gain a 1/day spell from any third or fourth level list. As above, but gets incredibly good when you consider options from the Paladin list like Greater Angelic Aspect or Holy Sword, as well as stuff like being able to cast Stoneskin or Restoration without a material component cost. Creativity is rewarded with this.
Flight (4 RP) - Having flight is an automatic win against some types of enemies, especially at low levels. Worth the cost, though not more than once.
See in Darkness (4 RP) - Screw light and concealment, this means you never have to worry about vision based troubles again, though watch out for invisibility.

Finally, all the stat increase options are good, but my favourites are Dexterity and Constitution, plus the caster stat if you're playing some form of spellcaster or Strength if you're playing a melee character. +2 Dexterity is equal to +1 initiative, +1 AC, +1 reflex saves and +1 on a bunch of skills, and so it's always a good investment. More Constitution is always a good thing, and then you put your final +2 into the stat that matters most to your character role, be it weapon damage or spell saving throw DC.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:06 pm »

Argh sorry, I thought I said.  30 points.

I can probably convince him to take spell-like-abilities, but it'll be a bit tough.
Mostly I think he wants to play a strong melee character with long reach, but also some options, and probably he wants at least *some* ability to negotiate with people.  As a player he's damn good at that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 02, 2016, 01:26:01 am »

It's two diagrams, and both of them are really neat.

Well, one of them is a map actually.
Unless a map counts as a diagram. No idea...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 02, 2016, 03:04:31 am »

I can probably convince him to take spell-like-abilities, but it'll be a bit tough.
Mostly I think he wants to play a strong melee character with long reach, but also some options, and probably he wants at least *some* ability to negotiate with people.  As a player he's damn good at that.
In that case, +2 Strength, Dexterity and Constitution for 12 points, Lesser Lucky, Flight and See in Darkness to take you up to 22 points, then a greater and a lesser spell-like ability and 2 RP to spend wherever you want, such as +1 natural armor or Shadow Resistance to gain cold and electricity resistance 5. Or swap the lesser SLA for a second greater instead. Seriously, what other thing can you take that equals gaining low-light vision, darkvision 60 feet, DR 10/evil, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, resistance to electricity and fire 10, a +4 racial bonus on saves against poison, protective aura and truespeech as supernatural abilities, a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against evil creatures, grant all your weapons the ability to bypass DR/good, and a fly speed of 60 feet with good maneuverability for one minute per level once per day? Or hell, just the ability to cast Teleport 1/day as a SLA (4th level Summoner spell) can save your damned bacon pretty often.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:14:31 am by Jimmy »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 02, 2016, 03:36:16 am »

Finally have access to Red Markets! YUS!

Also does anyone have a link to a digital copy of Eclipse Phase new book, X-Risk?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »

In that case, +2 Strength, Dexterity and Constitution for 12 points, Lesser Lucky, Flight and See in Darkness to take you up to 22 points, then a greater and a lesser spell-like ability and 2 RP to spend wherever you want, such as +1 natural armor or Shadow Resistance to gain cold and electricity resistance 5. Or swap the lesser SLA for a second greater instead. Seriously, what other thing can you take that equals gaining low-light vision, darkvision 60 feet, DR 10/evil, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, resistance to electricity and fire 10, a +4 racial bonus on saves against poison, protective aura and truespeech as supernatural abilities, a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against evil creatures, grant all your weapons the ability to bypass DR/good, and a fly speed of 60 feet with good maneuverability for one minute per level once per day? Or hell, just the ability to cast Teleport 1/day as a SLA (4th level Summoner spell) can save your damned bacon pretty often.
An at-will SLA of a low level might be nice, too. There's some good battlefield control and buff spells through the first three levels. Haste and Heroism are level 2 spells through Summoner and Bard; the former starts to pick up once it starts hitting a bunch of allies, and the latter is basically a permanent +2 morale bonus to attacks, saves, and skills, forever, for the entire party.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 02, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »

While I'm no char-op expert, one thing going Large does give you is that you can still use Enlarge Person on a Large species, which makes you Huge: 15' reach, ahoy.  If you combine it with some other non-magical, non-SLA method of increasing size further (since magical methods of increasing size do not stack, precisely to avoid these kinds of shenanigans), you can hit Gargantuan.  I don't think that the only methods of doing that jibe well with the character concept, but I mention it mostly for the sake of completeness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 03, 2016, 06:44:49 pm »

How do you guys come up with names for player characters or NPCs? Like, say, for D&D or Pathfinder.

I'm kinda just throwing vowels and consonants together to see what works. Feel like they're all weird sounding names. (Im, Glod, Dulzen, Drer, Ztan, examples I just came up with on the spot). Also not sure what to do with last names. Using the same trick just seems like using gibberish for a full name.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 03, 2016, 06:52:30 pm »

You could always use a random name generator for whatever it is you're making.

Foreign languages can be used to give a name related to the character.

Or just give them, well, names similiar to those that already exist, whether modern or historical.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 03, 2016, 06:56:12 pm »

I use rng for some. Others I take an appropriate sounding first name from somewhere, maybe tweak it slightly, the ndo a nounverb or nounnoun or similar last name

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 03, 2016, 07:26:55 pm »

Lately I've been finding real names I've never heard of before. There's a chance they're common names elsewhere in the world and would sound boring to some people on the internet, but I find that possibility pretty funny.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 03, 2016, 08:35:52 pm »

I use this website. In Tolkien-clone settings, I recommend Breton, Welsh, Celtic, and maybe Native American names for elves, Scandinavian or Germanic names for dwarves, and maybe try some Russian ones if you're feeling adventurous, and Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, possibly Norse, and maybe English names for humans, the last only if you're willing to sift through loads and loads of utterly mundane ones. If none of those strike your fancy, you could try the Dwarf Fortress languages. (I, myself, make an effort to include a dwarf named Libash somewhere in all of my games, as a little in-joke.)

I used to punch random words into Google Translate, but then I realized how silly I'd sound if any of my players spoke the relevant language and started using Behind the Name instead. Long before that, I would lightly mash keys on my keyboard until I found something I could corrupt into a name. I stopped doing this when I realized a week after coming up with a plot-important NPC that his name looked (although not sounded) like a double entendre.

Also, on last names; you can get away with using regular words in foreign languages here, and with some characters (e.g. warrior cultures, Britain analogues) you can manage just putting two English words together, Luke Skywalker-style.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 03, 2016, 09:04:35 pm »

I use this website.
Wow, great website.

In about 10 minutes I got a short list of names I could use, and with the help of google translate and some good old language corruption I managed to throw together a last name of Skjeggsbar, from Skjeggs (scandinavian for beard) and Barbar (scandinavian for barbarian according to google).

Arnborr Skjeggsbar sounds like a decent fantasy name for a dwarf barbarian, yeah?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 131