Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192847 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 18, 2016, 05:26:52 am »

I also live in the land of dropbears, but I'm afraid I already have a Pathfinder game I DM, so no +1 here. Shame, since it's so rare to find gamers in my own timezone online.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 18, 2016, 05:40:02 am »

Ah, if only B12 was a marker for quality.
Literally quality. Or better than quality. Like, a catchphrase or something.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:06 am »

You need to play DF more.

[INTRO:YES]

Bay12 = Beyond Quality.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:44 am »

No, he said everything. As in, everything.
The only answer to that is, depending on who you ask, either 42, 420, or  "Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

*shrug* I think Conan's answer is far more acceptable.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:39 am »

Actually, studies have shown that eating fat is healthy.*

*For given values of healthy

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:32 am »

Uh, because we're scattered amongst different continents, it would be difficult for us to play face-to-face on a regular basis.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 21, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »

Got some questions about wizards in Pathfinder. Pathfinder character sheet has a column for "spells known". The core rulebook says wizards can "know any number of spells", but he's limited because he has to select and prepare what spells he can cast in a day. So do I just ignore the "spells known" column?

Also, is "spells per day" the number of total spells of that level that can be cast that day? Say I have 2 different lvl 1 spells, spell A and spell B, prepared at level 2.  Can I cast Spell A and Spell B only once that day? Would I need to prepare two instances of Spell A to cast Spell A twice in one day? Or could I cast either Spell A twice or Spell B twice or Spell A and Spell B once?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:06 pm »

1. Correct, you can disregard "spells known" unless you wish to track that for whatever reason.  Since the character sheet is general to all characters and classes, it needs fields to track things that sorcerers, f'rex, need to care about, but clerics (who get everything on their list), wizards (who get anything scribed to their spellbooks), and non-casters need not concern themselves with.

2. Spells per day is the total spells of that level that can be cast in a day, not including any extra spells per day you gain from your INT bonus (r.f. Ability Modifiers And Bonus Spells table, which can also be found by scrolling down on this page of the online OGL).  If I recall properly, you do need to prepare two instances of Spell A in Pathfinder if you want to be able to cast Spell A twice, just as in D&D 3.5, though don't hesitate to correct me if that's incorrect. 

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 22, 2016, 01:25:54 am »

Wizards do actually only know a certain number of spells- they can copy new spells into their spellbooks from anywhere though.

Druids on the other hand have all spells forever available and just have to prepare daily.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 22, 2016, 01:44:35 am »

Wizards do actually only know a certain number of spells- they can copy new spells into their spellbooks from anywhere though.
But they can choose any spell listed in the section of the core rulebook for wizard spells, right? No restriction based on spell category (except if they have a specialty school and are trying to learn a spell from one of their chosen "bad" schools which makes the spell take 2 spell slots to prepare) for what spell they can learn and prepare aside from level limitations?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 22, 2016, 01:53:50 am »

Indeed, zero restrictions like that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:58 am »

Well, I guess it's as good time as any for a report on Fate of the Ur-Quan.

Our heroes, already having built the Precursor Tugboat/Flagship thing, with the help of a friendly precursor AI, set course to Earth, which they found encased in a red shield.

Anyone who has already played Star Control 2, most of the story went without many deviations. Combats were stupidly easy, like, the entire flagship (with one attack per player plus one for the nigh-useless crew) versus a single damaged Ilwrath, a single Slylandro probe. I suppose it's ok for a tutorial fight. Next time it's going to be the players vs 5 ships or something.

They found the decoys on the moon, tracked the signal to Pluto, were they had to go on foot because something was jamming sensors from the surface.

As they approached a crater, they found a huge Spathi ship, which killed ensign Kowalski with its defense turrets before they could manage to get inside it (they tried to dissolve the lock with nanites, but the Spathi captain agreed to open the door if they cut it out. He also apologized for the accident with the "automated" turrets).

Inside the ship, they walked thru one of the crew compartments, which was filled with cheap plastic Spathi mannequins, modified to send lifesigns to biosensors. Eventually they go to the bridge. One of the PCs snuck under the floor and to the captain's balcony/thingy that was isolated, while another PC climbed on the class to get to the captain, which he desperately tried to discourage with the windshield wipers and washer fluid.

Eventually, they captured him, tied him up, found out his name was Fwiffo, and was the only one left "guarding" Earth, but he got too scared of the sneaky hunams and hid in Pluto. After volunteering all the information about his homeworld, secret password, etc, they managed to recruit him ("huge ship protecting me? where do I sign up...").

In the end they set course for Spathiwa (encountering the lone probe along the way), and that was the end of the session (couple sessions actually).

So, in the meantime before our next session, been trying to think up a way to set up battles in space, using some sort of board. I came up with this thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Made up a bunch of rules for the planet, but basically you move one space normally, and roll if you want to move more than one, which is just typical Fate. Then the center zone has some special rules. A ship can only move once regardless of how many characters are controlling it.

(oh yeah, and the outer ring spaces are connected to the one on the opposite side)

I've been working on the ships-as-gadgets from the Atomic Robo ruleset, so I think I may have something going on there. Also made a bunch of decals from all the ship sprites, now I can make tokens 8)

Anyway, back to the regular programming.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:18:31 am by Sergius »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 01, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »

Minmaxers... Unite?
Pathfinder players, I need help for my brother.
He's going to be playing a game (I'm not in) in which the DM is challenging players to create strange, wild, potentially OP characters using the Race Builder rules.
The idea is to go hog wild and find advantages.

As a starting point, he wants to play a strong character.  Probably a plant.  He considered minotaur, but it's a bit "overplayed".  So some manner of treant...  I assume with high reach, because apparently that's cheap as hell, but I don't know pathfinder at all.

He's also looking at Rock Throwing which seems pretty great for a strong slow character.

We were talking about Ent, but I think he was hoping for something even more unusual.  Remember, the DM is specifically looking for oddball stuff.

(thanks that update Sergius, how has it been going since then?  I hope it's working out)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 01, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »

We've not played again since, there was a hiatus for fathers day and some other stuff, and we've given another player a chance to GM Scion for a couple sessions. So in about two weeks we'll continue with what they've affectionately started calling "The Heroic Adventures of Fwiffo, and friends".

One good piece of feedback I got from our regular DM-guy was that I should treat each "Issue" (2-3 session-long, minor milestone or whatever we call it) as a separate Adventure/Module, rather than just have an open world and drop clues for where to go next.

I did find a VERY useful diagram here, which I'm going to use to come up with said "Modules".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 01, 2016, 07:43:34 pm »

That's a really neat diagram.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 131