Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192902 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1530 on: March 07, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

pen & paper, mtg with ante and hentai?

Well, MtG does technically have a rule specifying that the removal of one's pants is faster than a mana source. :P

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 08, 2016, 04:37:16 am »

Anyone interested in having a game of something on Tabletop Simulator today???
From this post over the next 6 or so hours.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 08, 2016, 07:01:04 am »

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:42 am »

Second WoD (Vampire the Requiem) session.  We actually met our sires, got things explained, and as local neonates were put in a room together and told to "stay".  We exchanged some pleasantries but mostly just watched Blade until we fell asleep at dawn.

The next night, after watching a bit of Blade 2, we got hungry and decided to sneak out for a bite.  Particularly since the Malkavian woke up as some famous mobster named Frankie.  (He didn't seem to notice or mind being in a woman's body).  I was a little hesitant, but it had been almost 24 hours, and nobody was watching the hall.  Besides, not like a 1STR Mekhet like me could stop the Malkavian and Gangrel even had I wanted.

Basically we went bar hopping.  Turns out vampires can totally get drunk by spending a little blood to digest.  At the first bar we came close to causing a masquerade violation, because "Frankie" had a pile of over a dozen shots with more coming.  Keeping in mind "he" was actually a fairly light young woman.  Fortunately the Gangrel was a former bouncer, and we had been enjoying a single drink each.  I talked to "Frankie" as the gangrel dragged "him" out.

It was around this time that the gangrel thought she saw someone tailing us, but wasn't sure enough to mention it.  I assume the local vampires were keeping tabs on the newbies, possibly concerned.

Kinda understandable.  Being buzzed, buzzed, and blind drunk, we... kinda failed to hire some hookers in a parking garage.  Since we had no cash at all left on hand.  Some burly men approached us at which point Frankie started waving his revolver around.  We dragged him off while the bouncers backed away quickly.

A few hours later we found a quieter bar on the outskirts of town.  This time we didn't drink... blood.  Frankie told a huge drunk guy "he" had some pretty friends outside looking for fun.  Worked perfectly, the Gangrel pulled the dude into the alley (though he almost shook free, actually!)  We took turns, and finished the night almost full.  Though we all got really drunk from the blood alcohol!

We didn't kill the guy, but Frankie actually lost a humanity point for stealing the guy's wallet and not being at all sorry.  Being a Ventrue, he almost gained a new derangement too, but lucked out.

Frankie and I flubbed out streetwise+wits spectacularly, having no idea how to get back home.  The Gangrel actually got 4 successes on 4 dice (and as Gangrel, the dice didn't explode and 1's would have been negating!).  Rather appropriately, the former bouncer led our drunk asses home where we watched Blade 2, Blade Trinity, and started Bladerunner before falling asleep.

We only got 3 experience but eh, we didn't exactly foil any plots.  Just managed to feed without getting ourselves killed.

Ironically I didn't drink anything but virgin V8 juice.  I had a fresh bottle of rum but didn't feel any desire for it, was having plenty of fun already.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:53 am »

I want to run a DBZ esque game using Wild Talents. Maybe do the WMAT or do a set up like, YYH to give it more structure, and more things to do.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:29 am »

I have detected a problem with having a sizable RPG library. According to RPGGeek, I have 142 RPG Items. Not all are core books, however, so my actual number of games is somewhat lower than that.

I finally decided to ask some coworkers if they wanted to play in a different type of group. As I've said, I've got lots of games. I've played two of them (one of which through Mythic Game Master Emulator so I'm not entirely sure it counts). My idea was to pull a book off of the shelf, make characters, and then run through a one-shot or short adventure before starting the process again with a new system.

And now I have a problem. The number of games coupled with various work-related depression shenanigans result in analysis paralysis. As 2/3 coworkers started with D&D 5th Edition, I considered going way back to Basic Set, 3d6 straight down, etc. It was made for a different age, however. I don't think I could run a game where first-level magic-users and clerics have one and zero spells per day, respectively.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 10, 2016, 08:58:53 am »

Obviously, the answer is to introduce them to F.A.T.A.L.

Or, y'know, something less crunchy like homebrew. You can do a lot with the 5e advantage/disadvantage mechanics, for example. Honestly, unless they're all super-nerds, it's probably best to save breaking out the retro gaming rules for the old grognard crowd and keep things fast paced.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 10, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

Does anyone know how to handle ties in World of Darkness?  Specifically first edition Vampire the Requiem, for grapple checks.

Amused happy rant:
I'm pretty sure I even saw one discipline (vampire power) that *did* specify what to do with a tie, but it's hard to search these books.  They are ABSURDLY wordy, bits of mechanics sandwiched between long tracts of fluff.  The main 9 stats are explained between three interlaced short stories.  It's kinda great, but it makes it hard to find hard rules.

Oh and then the clanbooks just intentionally retcon certain aspects of the setting.  And I don't mean all the clans claiming Rasputin (though they do), I mean the main book says you have to feed the victim blood immediately after they die in order to make a new vampire.  The Mekhet book is like "Haha people think that but it's wrong, you can embrace victims who've undergone total mummification and sat in the ground for like a week."

And the Armory book!  "Contrary to popular belief, suppressors can be made for all firearms, including shotguns and revolvers".  That popular belief?  THE CORE RAW lol.

Basically the rules are a lot softer than 3.5e and we're really enjoying that so far.  I'm still sick of Tome of Battle hijinks, so many hard rules interacting with each other in weird ways.  Rules lawyering was fun for a while but I got tired of *having* to do it just to resolve every battle.  I wasn't even using the weird complicated rules (until the last few sessions).

Edit: Well we haven't done much combat yet to be fair, but it's relatively simple.  Most interactions are really just "Add an appropriate stat to an appropriate skill, whatever the Story Teller approves you using, roll that many d10 and count successes".  With roll20, super easy.

Er so yeah what do we do for ties?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:20:44 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

I don't know anything about the World of Darkness system, but if you intend on playing a lot and it's really that hard to find the rules, it might be worth taking the time to make a reference sheet for yourself.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 10, 2016, 06:35:58 pm »

Problem is the core rules are pretty simple, it's really mostly "roll a stat plus a skill, whatever seems good".  Combat has more rules than that but not many, and it's basically just that with modifiers.

Almost all of what we look up is vampire stuff.  Like being low on blood and thinking "Hey do I need to make a roll to resist hunger frenzy".  Or "Can I adopt a bloodline at 1 potency or do I need 2".  I coulda sworn we need 2, but then I couldn't find that rule later despite several minutes of searching.  But it's cool, the rules are soft so it really didn't matter either way.  Bloodlines are fun and fluffy after all, mine is pretty unhelpful (mnemosyne) but it's nifty and flavorful for my espionage character.

On the other hand, I just found the actual grapple rules and oh jeez.  We weren't doing it right.  They're pretty much equivalent in complexity with the 3.5e ones, similar in many ways...  Not actually all *that* bad, but likely to slow things down if things go wrong.
She/they

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 10, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »

There are no such thing as good grapple rules. Not even in Wrestling focus RPGs, which their entire combat system are about the grapple.

I think it has to do with combat systems being turn base, and trying to resolve these two folks in their separate initiative order from the rest.   
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:55 pm »

There are no such thing as good grapple rules. Not even in Wrestling focus RPGs, which their entire combat system are about the grapple.

Lies. My system of choice has an entire supplement dedicated to the subject. Can you say the same?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 10, 2016, 10:03:53 pm »

Detailed/complex =/= Good.*

*See F.A.T.A.L.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 10, 2016, 10:07:24 pm »

Yeah holy crap, my problem with grapple in 3.5e and WoD is not that it's *simple*

I mean sure it's a complicated thing, but the last thing I want is an entire book dedicated to it
I want the rules to be as simple and understandable as possible, considering how complicated it is.  At the expense of realism.  Perhaps with optional rules for added realism, if the group wants.
She/they

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:49 pm »

That's why I like 5e's rules: you roll to grapple, and then they roll to escape the grapple. Then you can pin/move them. They roll to escape, and you roll to hold. It's really just about that simple.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 131