Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192599 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:45 am »

Pathfinder familiars are a pain. If a vermin creature gains an intelligence score it's supposed to get a feat and a skill point, but familiars are supposed to be normal creatures even though they gain an intelligence score. I have no idea which way to go on this one.

Don't familiars change type to Magical Beast?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 27, 2015, 05:58:31 am »

Unrelated: Is gangsta rap a Perform (Sing) check or a Perform (Oratory) check? Discuss.
Depends. I would say Oratory, because most of it is spoken word with little actually singing.
Sing; format aside, rap follows the rhythmic and melodic properties of music.

Alternatively, if it's improvised on-spot, split it into a check for Sing first to see if it doesn't scare everyone off by botched technical details, then an Oratory check to see if the improvised text achieves its goal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 27, 2015, 07:29:51 pm »

Speaking of rap, it would be a funny gag to have Olidammara or some other god of rogues hand down a set of commandments that are all phrases from rap music and the associated culture, like "Fuck da' police" and "Don't hate the playa" and "Smoke weed every day"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:21 am »

Got a chance to play Settlers of Catan finally. It was at college where one of my classes was on game design. Our group had to learn how to play in a hurry, we had to pick a game we'd never played before, work it out, and write a report and teach others the rules.

It was confusing at first since it's not a "normal" board game by far. But it was surprisingly fast playing once we got the rules down and played a round.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 02, 2015, 09:20:05 am »

How well known is it in America? Around here you'll be hard pressed to find someone who has never played it, it's practically our national board game.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 02, 2015, 09:30:45 am »

At least in my experience a majority of people have not and will not play anything more then monopoly. But for the niche crowd that does play actual boardgames, settlers of catan is sorta like 'babbys first real boardgame', and everyone has played it.

At least, that's my experience with the people who I hang out with and hung out with in the past.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:45 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:57:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:40 am »

Out of curiosity I checked out whether they have a Monopoly World Championship. Apparently they do, but no-one has ever won it twice. That makes me suspicious whether there's actually any real strategy or skill involved.

World Monopoly Champion doesn't have the same ring as a chess grandmaster.

Although in the past, US entrants had to successfully compete in regional competitions before the national championship, qualifying for the National Championship has been online since 2003. For the 2003 Championship, qualification was limited to the first fifty people who correctly completed an online quiz.

*Eye rolls* so that's how they select the top players for Monopoly. The first 50 people to phone in and answer some history of Monopoly questions. Hasbro might as well grab people off the street and say "you look smart, you're a contestant in the World Monopoly Championships!"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:47:35 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 02, 2015, 09:46:19 am »

It's also a really depressing sort of title; you're the best at screwing everyone else over for fake money, which at the end of the day means you have no friends and no money.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:17 am »

The one thing that potentially introduces skill into monopoly is the unlimited trading aspect - really the most important part of the game is trying to secure a deal to complete a property set.  I imagine high-level play would involve an absurd amount of politicking.  But yeah it's still gotta be mostly luck.

My favourite part of Monopoly is how being in jail is obviously an advantage once you get past the early stage of the game.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:20 am »

Although in the past, US entrants had to successfully compete in regional competitions before the national championship, qualifying for the National Championship has been online since 2003. For the 2003 Championship, qualification was limited to the first fifty people who correctly completed an online quiz.

*Eye rolls* so that's how they select the top players for Monopoly. The first 50 people to phone in and answer some history of Monopoly questions. Hasbro might as well grab people off the street and say "you look smart, you're a contestant in the World Monopoly Championships!"

You have to remember that Hasboro is run by incompetent morons.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:42 am »

Yeah, I guess we should be grateful they didn't try to put golden tickets that get you into the championships in specially marked copies of Monopoly.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:59 am »

Pretty sure the aim was to promote their brand rather than to actually find the person who is best at monopoly.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 02, 2015, 11:55:09 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:58:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

So Wizards has released the second "Unearthed Arcana" article for D&D 5e. This one is about mass combat.

And since I'm posting here, I figure I might as well ask if anyone is interested in a game of Talislanta? From the Gaming Block thread:
Would anyone be interested in trying out Talislanta? The entire library of Talislanta material, all 5 editions, has been released for free on PDFs by its creator.

I'm thinking of running a 2nd edition game. I've heard it was one of the better editions, and, looking through it, it seems to be a pretty well-made game for its time (and even in general. Aside from a few egregious examples, like there being two different skills for pickpocketing and swiping things, it seems very well made; it's a rather unified system). And though I haven't looked through the book in absolute detail, I've looked at the base mechanics in enough depth to see that it should play well; I won't run into the situation I had with deadEarth where I agreed to play a fundamentally flawed mess of a game. It's possible there are some things in there that are super over-powered, but I can deal with that.

So, anyway, who would be interested in something like this?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 131