Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192590 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #510 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:30 pm »

What about Superpersist (When this creature dies, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter and a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Seems fair.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:00 pm »

That's obviously silly. +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters cancel each other out, and they make it a rule not to put the two in the same set anymore - much less the same card. No, I think it's clear that Indestructibler is the way of the future.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:13 pm »

You can already do it with Mikaeus, might as well cut out the middle man.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2015, 06:40:50 am »

Don't talk to me about the cards man, I gave that shit up and went on cocaine. Less addictive and way cheaper.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:40 am »

On the downside, art large enough to discern the corpse makes clear that Slumgar Millionaire's throne is not atop a pile of bananas.

In related news, Wizards has announced a number of new mechanics that will be made evergreen in the near future:

Spoiler: It's All True, Folks (click to show/hide)
We're still waiting on the return of Firstest Strike.  *crosses arms*

:P

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #515 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:48 pm »

I started playing MtG recently. How much of a part of the game is luck normally? I ask this in the context of having lost two games, one due to never drawing any lands and the other due to drawing lands almost exclusively.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 03, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »

honestly not too much I find... you kinda need to be a prat and scatter the lands throughout your deck manually before shuffling to prevent some of what happened to you....  Most of the game is what cards you own, combined with how well your deck works.  there's some luck in it but less than in say any game that involves rolling a dice.
Nom nom nom

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 03, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

Any game where you put a load of cards into a pile and randomly pick up a bunch of them is going to have luck.  You can reduce your chance of getting mana problems through savvy deckbuilding and good mulligan strategy though.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:31 pm »

Drawing too many or too few lands is a part of the game. Obviously doesn't happen all the time.

If you really hate drawing too many lands get some Cycle lands or spells with Retrace.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »

In standard scrying is a good way to help fix your land draws.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2015, 03:33:32 pm »

Also, one way to cut down on your luck reliance is to have no more than the minimum (60 in most formats) number of cards in your deck.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »

Yes, there is very little 'pure strategy' nowadays on tabletop. Most incorporate cards or dice rolls, so it's difficult.
The closest you can come to pure strategy is Chess.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2015, 04:33:46 am »

Tack's profile -> Location: Australia.
Australia has the same board game culture as USA, then ?

You should try some german-typed board games. Most of those don't have luck involved at all, and rely much more on bluff and long-term strategy ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2015, 07:44:45 am »

Good boardgames are pretty expensive in Australia. I bought Diplomacy for $20 when I was in highschool. Something like that would probably be $90 now.

I think it's a fusion here between US games and English ones. There are some homegrown ones too, but the international ones are better known.

My favorite ones I ever owned were Diplomacy, Axis and Allies and Talisman.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:05 am »

Most of those don't have luck involved at all, and rely much more on bluff and long-term strategy ;)
How can you have bluff without cards?

Then again, I think random chance is necessary for there to be a certain balance. If everything was static, there would be just 'One Perfect Way', and it would suck all of the fun out of games.
Like how most RPG's have damage be an X - Y figure, and include crits; just because the luck element spices up the game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:57:59 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 131