Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192642 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:22 pm »

But can you be ever REALLY sure that it wasn't a kittens and puppies spell?
Could you live with having interrupted that?

Those are relatively low level magic.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »

I'm trying out a new idea with my gaming group. Since the web app I'm writing specifically for this isn't production-ready, I drew up a quick campaign prospectus using a Google Form. For those unaware, a prospectus is basically a showing of what you want to run. I told the players to rank everything from 0-5, duplicating numbers as necessary. You could also do rankings or something akin to point buy if you wanted. I also included system of choice where appropriate.

Thought some of you might like the idea and I just wanted to share.

Spoiler: My offerings (click to show/hide)

Fantasy Australia and Magical Adventures in Magic Land are tied for first, which makes me happy. The Furries option was included as a bit of a joke - I bought the system without reading it - but it's not in last place. I don't know what that says about myself or my players.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with these votes, though. Do I go with the idea that most people love (majority votes 4-5, some are 1-2) or the one that most tolerate (majority votes 2-4)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:06:00 pm by Mephisto »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »

Quote from: Fantasy Australia
You did something bad. You're being shipped off to a supposedly uninhabited land to start up a colony or die trying.
Could be interesting. Lots of chances for strange creatures and stuff. What system would you use for this? Not like I've heard of any of the ones you're mentioned here, though...

Quote from: Find the MacGuffin
Your kingdom is on the losing end of a war. The court mages have detected something that might turn the tides. Find it, whatever it is, and decide for yourself if the consequences are worth it.
Depending on the macguffin and the consequences, could be good or not.

Quote from: Furries!
Genre: Psychological Horror

Anthropomorphic flying squirrels, sexy frogs, and well-endowed komodo dragons.

System: Shard RPG
It is horrifying.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:11 pm »

Ars Magica is a pretty big pain in the ass to play. Fun concept. It's in a bit of a bad place because the mechanics are sorta cumbersome but the game itself fits a more roleplay orientated group. If your players are more mechanical-challange based (like used to D&D and stuff) they might not enjoy the mostly roleplaying and not... Challenge based aspect of the important parts of the game. But, in my experience, people who are more interested in that sorta thing have less patience to work though a clumsy system.

Well, on the other hand, my experience with the game is pretty limited. Has anyone else played it? It's so interesting, but, as I said, I find it cumbersome.

As for picking the most popular game that a few will hate or a middle road one... I'd say you probably know your players better then I do. If the people who said they would dislike the most popular game are the type of people who might be generally okay with playing it and will have fun anyway, I'd go for it. If they are not, I'd try to take a more middle road.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2015, 04:50:54 pm »

Quote from: Fantasy Australia
You did something bad. You're being shipped off to a supposedly uninhabited land to start up a colony or die trying.
Could be interesting. Lots of chances for strange creatures and stuff. What system would you use for this? Not like I've heard of any of the ones you're mentioned here, though...
This and the following are completely up in the air. I've kind of narrowed it down to something like GURPS or MasterBook (seems to be pre-GURPS GURPS).

Quote from: Find the MacGuffin
Your kingdom is on the losing end of a war. The court mages have detected something that might turn the tides. Find it, whatever it is, and decide for yourself if the consequences are worth it.
Depending on the macguffin and the consequences, could be good or not.
I was proud of the story I came up for this one. I was planning on the court mages thinking it was a previously-unknown <insert_magical_unobtanium_here> deposit (whether they actually think that or if that's only what the players are told, I haven't determined). The site the players eventually arrive at turns out to be a cache of magic MacGuffins that were deemed too powerful for one group to wield. Whether they decide to bring them back, destroy them, wield them against someone, or shove them up their bums and spin is up to them.

Quote from: Furries!
System: Shard RPG
It is horrifying.

It's very polarizing for some reason (current votes: 1, 4, 1, 3 0)

Ars Magica is a pretty big pain in the ass to play. Fun concept. It's in a bit of a bad place because the mechanics are sorta cumbersome but the game itself fits a more roleplay orientated group.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It took me an hour to generate one mage with no companions or grogs. I'm not exactly happy with how that character turned out. It's been highly-recommended, however - the previous owner loved it so much that he also passed along hundreds of pages of dot matrix printouts of BBS discussions, rules clarifications, and errata.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:53:11 pm by Mephisto »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2015, 05:12:11 pm »

I was proud of the story I came up for this one. I was planning on the court mages thinking it was a previously-unknown <insert_magical_unobtanium_here> deposit (whether they actually think that or if that's only what the players are told, I haven't determined). The site the players eventually arrive at turns out to be a cache of magic MacGuffins that were deemed too powerful for one group to wield. Whether they decide to bring them back, destroy them, wield them against someone, or shove them up their bums and spin is up to them.
Oooh. Psychological.

One of the best games I've ever had, the wizard pulled a LOTR on a grimoir which was apparently causing undeadification of the land, and scarpered with it, whilst the party warrior was currently infected with ghouldom.
Grippli's like 'Fuck, I'll go grab him'.
Soon as he's gone, Paladin walks up to the warrior and is like 'give me your sword'.

Grippli ends up convincing the wizard to return (outstanding chr check), and they come back to this crazy-ass fallen paladin standing over the beheaded corpse of this warrior like 'YOU'.
Party wizard ends up having to fry him to stop his angry flailing, before they drop the book in and the whole world returns to normal.

It was high RP, too. Pretty cool having a party fall apart at the end like that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:25 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2015, 06:24:54 pm »

It's like her body is saying 'dance with me', and her face is saying 'SEE BALL. GET BALL.'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »

It's like her body is saying 'dance with me', and her face is saying 'SEE BALLS. GET BALLS.'
FTFY. Substitute any other bodypart at your own convenience.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »

It's like her body is saying 'dance with me', and her face is saying 'SEE BALLS. GET BALLS.'
This only makes me more uncomfortable.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2015, 07:00:28 pm »

...I-I like FR. :-/
It's what my DnD group played. Then again, I never exactly studied and critiqued the setting's backstory.
I imagine that DM could have made most any setting fun, regardless.

@Mephisto: Haha, that "cache of MacGuffins" idea sounds like one of the plotlines in my favourite fantasy series!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:02:10 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2015, 07:05:39 pm »

It is something people should be able to feel comfortable about.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:22 pm »

It is something people should be able to feel comfortable about.
Of course. I am just uncomfortable.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 131