Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192634 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:19 am »

If you're a chronic minmaxer then Forgotten Realms is where it's at. The feats and prestige classes from this 3.5e setting are insanely overpowered. Yes Otherworldly Deep Imaskari Wizard Incantatrix, I'm looking at you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2015, 06:46:38 am »

Iirc Dragonlance was some groups own DnD campaign to begin with, that they then wrote books about and it somehow ended up a published setting.

So was Greyhawk. And they were both from campaigns that high ups in TSR were playing so it makes sense that they wound up published.

I see. I new about Greyhawk being Gygax's campaign setting, I just didn't know the Dragonlance people were involved with DnD in that way. That would definitly explain it, yeah.

Dragonlance has some interesting ideas in it. The magic being influenced by the moons, different types of dwarves and draconians.

I think my favourite book is "Flint the King" which focuses on the lowest dwarven society rung, the gully dwarves. It's a silly book with the gully dwarves being cheerful but nearly incapable of following any orders at all. The message of "bravery in the unlikeliest of places".

Dragonlance did strike me as being more light hearted than Forgotten Realms. Or maybe more "knights in shining armour".

I think it's less "knight in shining armour" and more "very informed black and white morality", which is why you get stuff like the super annoying chronically criminal kender bring heralded as "everything that is good and innocent about the world" when in fact they are just inconsiderate arseholes. It is a setting where the "forces of good" is so because the writers tell you they are, and probably has some of the worst incorporations of bad DnD tropes (like the alignment system), and unlike other settings you can't ignore it as the whole setting hinges on those metaphysics.

I agree about Forgotten Realms though, it seems generic and trite.

I think one of the few saving graces of FR is that the world feels like it doesn't exist for a pre-defined narrative. Unlike many other generic-ish settings there is no Mordor or Cthol Murgos or "darkspawn corruption" looming in one if the corners from which all really evil things stem or where the Dark Lord Orcus sits on his throne. It's just a huge world for adventures to take place in, and you can fit any kind of story into into it.

It might also be that even while the body of the setting might still be DnD generic, it's gotten a lot of nice, customized clothes to dress in over the years (it's a kind of super-developed genericality rather than underdeveloped). So it still stands out as "separate" from the standard issue DnD. 5th edition may change this, though, as they seem to be trying to make FR into that standard issue.

I'm also not sure how you could call Dragonlance interesting and FR "generic and trite" in the same breath. They both seem to he the same "generica with a few twists" to me.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2015, 02:30:53 pm »

Woo Woo Ravenoft.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2015, 05:30:30 pm »

Woo woo Planescape!
Love, scriver~

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »

Finally played Dead of Winter. I highly recommend this boardgame. It was an amazing time, and two of the players weren't even boardgamers (yet, HAHAHA).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2015, 09:49:44 pm »

Just mentioned 'Lawful Stupid Paladins' somewhere in some other thread, so I thought I'd drag this topic here to get a thorough beating.
'Cos I bet we've all got some awesome stories.

We had a 'Jo' who decided to play a Lawful Stupid, and it was literally hilarious (Somehow not annoying, just hilarious.)
We came across a necromancer who was preparing to summon an army of the dead, and we were like 'We Must interrupt the ritual'.
Queue Paladin:

WE CANNOT. THAT IS ASSAULT.
But he's a villain!?
HE HAS NOT COMMITTED A CRIME.
Necromancy!
HE HAS NOT COMMITTED A CRIME YET.

The overly-dramatic way in which he delivered all of his lines might've done it.
Especially when the rogue pickpockets a bad-guy or something during a split party and suddenly the people on the other side of the city hear 'LARCENY!!'
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2015, 09:54:55 pm »

Just mentioned 'Lawful Stupid Paladins' somewhere in some other thread, so I thought I'd drag this topic here to get a thorough beating.

We had a 'Jo' who decided to play a Lawful Stupid, and it was literally hilarious (Somehow not annoying, just hilarious.)
We came across a necromancer who was preparing to summon an army of the dead, and we were like 'We Must interrupt the ritual'.
Queue Paladin:

But he's a villain!?
Necromancy!

I think this is the kind of situation where you have the wizard cast Flare or Stinking Cloud

EDIT:
Depending on how the DM rules, a Create Water spell over the villain's head might also do it. The paladin could cast that themself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:00:33 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2015, 10:00:23 pm »

Queue Paladin:

But he's a villain!?
Necromancy!

The overly-dramatic way in which he delivered all of his lines might've done it.
Especially when the rogue pickpockets a bad-guy or something during a split party and suddenly the people on the other side of the city hear 'LARCENY!!'
The clear response to this guy is to make a Phoenix Wright expy and make a case every time the paladin brings up the law.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2015, 12:23:10 am »

Queue Paladin:

But he's a villain!?
Necromancy!

I think this is the kind of situation where you have the wizard cast Flare or Stinking Cloud

EDIT:
Depending on how the DM rules, a Create Water spell over the villain's head might also do it. The paladin could cast that themself.

I'm pretty sure goading the bad guy into attacking you first just so you can be technically justified in attacking him back should be a less Paladiny thing to do compared to just attacking him outright but being earnest about it.

...Maybe not from the perspective of a Lawful Stupid Paladin, though.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2015, 12:29:05 am »

I think we mostly ended up doing 'See the ball! Fetch the ball!' things until he wised onto it.

EDIT: RANDOM BACKLASH ONTO MINIACHURS.
Has anyone ever found the melting point of citadel resin? 'cos I've heard they're shapeable if you stick them in boiling salt (Don't do this), but I was wondering if you could just throw a ton of sprues in a pot and go ahead.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:39:03 am by Tack »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:16 am »

Queue Paladin:

But he's a villain!?
Necromancy!

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure goading the bad guy into attacking you first just so you can be technically justified in attacking him back should be a less Paladiny thing to do compared to just attacking him outright but being earnest about it.

...Maybe not from the perspective of a Lawful Stupid Paladin, though.

The point is that any of those things would force a concentration check and potentially disrupt a spell being cast by the target.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:45 am »

But can you be ever REALLY sure that it wasn't a kittens and puppies spell?
Could you live with having interrupted that?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2015, 12:50:39 pm »

Has anyone ever found the melting point of citadel resin? 'cos I've heard they're shapeable if you stick them in boiling salt (Don't do this), but I was wondering if you could just throw a ton of sprues in a pot and go ahead.

If you have the kind of resources needed to boil salt, I think you should be fine on shaping the resin.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2015, 01:00:50 pm »

If you have the kind of resources needed to boil salt, I think you should be fine on shaping the resin.
According to Google that'd be 1,413 °C. I do not recommend heating resin up to this temperature, you will not have a model left.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:54 pm »

A quick Google says it's close to the melting point of plastic in the plastic models.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 131