Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GenePool  (Read 6292 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: GenePool
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »

Default settings save for sexual preference to big creatures and 100% energy to offspring.

Resulted in a handful of mostly identical creatures (With a few offspring) floating about. They actually tended to migrate around the place, eating all the food in one area, then migrating to another while the old area recovers.

Changing the settings to food growth delay = 0, food spread = 8000, food bit energy = 40, hunger threshold = 85, and energy to offspring = 53. Also, sexual preference is set to hyper. Note that the swimbots are the same ones from before. Let's see how this works out, shall we?

EDIT: The pool has more greenspots than decade old meat and the green line of the population graph is literally off the chart. Going well so far. Setting food growth delay = 25, for the sake of my laptop.

EDIT2: Watching these things starve is really macabre. They turn darker colours, begin sort of seizing, and eventually curl up before disappearing. It's sort of disturbing. On a happier note, population's exploded. It's gone from 85 to 213 already. They seem to be forming herds. Not sure why. Despite the ludicrously high food spawn rate, they've already cleared out one corner. They're beginning to expand outwards more.

EDIT3: Figured out the herd thing. They're basically massive, incestuous orgies. They're breeding at massive rates, before joining into it. It's kind of disturbing. Also means less new genes to develop. Should I begin zapping things? Anyways, ~25% already cleared of food. 302 swimbots. Blue coloration is slowly gaining a foothold, now making up a rough estimate of 3% of the population, deviating from the standard pale green. Bright green remains very rare, with only three specimens left. Though, dark blue population is beginning to drop. Also, a slight blue tinge is beginning to become prevalent in the pale greens.
My, in the context of evolution and a closedish system, this does what it says.  You can see 'waves' of life, and efficiency winning out in the long run.  Well, you would if you set breeding to select for non-efficiency.

My current world, at its end:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What you see is a huge population of moderately efficent life, with three tails.  I find that the 'worms' are the second most efficient, after the immobile ones (discounting those psuedo-immobile ones with '1.5' limbs that barely move).  This is right before a crash in population.

So, really is neato to see chance play a role in it.

And my favorite doodad:

Its not incredibly efficient, but then it doesnt have to be.  It has a moderate speed and consistent rhythm (which worms lack), and also moves pretty synchronously.

I wish they would have put predatory behavior in as well, but then the simulation wouldn't have been about 'evolution', having that wrench thrown in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »

The number of bots has eclipsed the number of food bits (631 bots vs. 621 food).  Mass starvation soon. The "herds" have largely melded into one large line eating away at the last major clump of food. Magenta has appeared among their colours, and blue has become more common. The bright greens have only two members left, both far from the food. Dark green has appeared on the scene. A sort of salmon colored breed has also appeared. For tonight, I'm pausing the sim. The progress of the Cataclysm will continue tomorrow. If anybody wants the pool, I'll upload it.

By the way, the teal gene has completely dominated the pool, and there wouldn't appear to be any pale greens left.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 10:21:32 pm »

This looks interesting. I must try this.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 10:54:24 pm »

Gave it a try, its...interesting, most successful I've seen is this blue/cyan bellows swim bot. Main problem with them is they aren't that great at turning.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 04:21:39 am »

I've always been fascinated with evolution games. Also, putting the "energy to offspring" slider to maximum gave me an immobile stick. Actually very efficient, it doesn't use much energy, and it won't produce offspring because it doesn't move.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 05:45:30 am »

When I tried it, I ended up with immobile critters in one color only who then all proceeded to starve :(

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 08:31:22 am »

Form versus function.  This here be educational.

___

Theyed be plants, I guess, but since the only source of food is some  solidified entropic matter . . .

Speaking of, theres as much physics as bio in this sim
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:35:50 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 11:24:13 am »

Everytime things start looking the same you shake up the ecosystem and watch everything die off in a somewhat horrifying way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:24 pm »

PTW, started my first pool. It would be neat if different species were tracked seperately, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

PTW, started my first pool. It would be neat if different species were tracked seperately, though.
They arent different species.

They are variations of the same.  All can and do make babies with one another.
PKs DF Mod!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »

Variants, then.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »

Left it on overnight. Everything is blue, swimming neurons
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:06 pm »

It would be cool if we start sort of a competition, we evolve our own species, we upload them here, then we pit them against other players species and see who survives. Anyone up for that?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 04:07:30 pm »

Ahh, started a new one, with 6 distinct and engineered phenotype and 12 of each, as well as cluster 3 pieces of food by each member for good measure.

Lets see what happens.

---

So I set up an empty pool with 6 sets of 12:

And the seeding swimbots:

1: black 2tail viri

2: a three-tailed swimmer (a recolored version of the dominant 'moderate swimmer' from above)

3: The stick-dude (pkop, my favorite creature)

4: Taperworm

5: Sac

6: PH test worm

These are set to select for 'hyperness', which can roughly translate to 'inefficiency'.  Or can better than most other selectable traits.

------

*Good news!  I found out that swimbots have a max age of 40000!  After which they disappear, regardless of energy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:00:05 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »

The hyper one consume much more energy, and regardless of their speed or efficiency they deplete the food faster, and deprive the slower, more efficient ones of food:

Over the long term, they are more accurately termed parasites than life.  Ill see if they dont make a comeback, but all life in the pool is seemingly optimized for speed/metabolism.

The life that lived:

1) gummy worm

2) Scourge/nine tails

3) Platform

4) And various hybrids, as well as a remarkably long lived 'three-tail' model

---

So, it would seem to me that a worm design as well as the three-tailed design are the most prolific and lasting.  worms should be obvious, and the third leg of the three-tails seems to provide stability.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:06:20 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4