Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Official Proposal for New Tabletop Games Sub-Board  (Read 3382 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Official Proposal for New Tabletop Games Sub-Board
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 09:47:07 am »

Mrow. I would support having a specific Tabletop Subforum.

The FEF craze has died down significantly from what I can tell, but the amount of DnD games and other small stuff like that warrant a different venue for those specific kinds of threads. It would certainly help abate that nothing, even popular games like The Warrens, can escape being shoved to the second or third page daily in the Forum Gamees and Roleplaying section.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 09:50:07 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:31:21 pm by penguinofhonor »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 11:07:08 am »

I think it'd be best as a sub-forum or whatever of Other Games. Most DnD games that do get started die from a lack of players/interest though, so.... Maybe it'd give them more exposure, maybe it'd just be useless.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:02 am »

It would certainly help abate that nothing, even popular games like The Warrens, can escape being shoved to the second or third page daily in the Forum Gamees and Roleplaying section.

I don't think that it would helps games general visability by tucking them into their own corner of the forum.

Not to mention it's a issue that all games, not just table top games, share, just by virtue of how many games there are. Even if table top games were evacuated to their own section of the forum, good games would still have the issue you describe. You could make a TON of little sections for each genera, but I feel like that would split the community way too much and make the games you want to find too hard. Not to mention the inevitable issues with "Where your game should go" (like, you mentioned FEF,  I can see that counting as table top, but it's not really a classical table top game, and I could also see it not counting. Hard choice, and no matter what you do it just opens up more questions about other games that are more or less table top then fef.)

I think it'd be best as a sub-forum or whatever of Other Games. Most DnD games that do get started die from a lack of players/interest though, so.... Maybe it'd give them more exposure, maybe it'd just be useless.

I am pretty sure that they would just die then.

Edit: Also back to the main question at hand. I've been wondering why I am so opposed to this idea, and I think I have managed to get my thoughts in order here. A big thing is, I just don't like the idea of splitting the forums up even more. To be honest, I quite dislike the way that the communities get split and then drift apart so radically. Which seems to sometimes lead to unpleasantness. I go to Other Games, Forum Games and Roleplaying, And General discussion myself. And in all three of them I know people who only post in that section, and have a disgust for the other sections. Which is sad (not the only post part, but rather the disgust). The elitism that festers when you split up communities into smaller parts is disgusting, and frankly I really  think that table top games would be a breeding ground for such things if allowed to sequester itself from the general forum games.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:18:38 am by Criptfeind »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 12:13:36 pm »

Tabletop games kinda make sense being in Other Games if you think on it a little bit, but it's very non-intuitive. I think I only ever learned we had any threads for D&D on this forum when I did a search for it, and was surprised to find it in Other Games. When you think of Other Games, you generally think of video games, not pen and paper. I think the reason you don't see much discussion in existing threads about such is that no one can find the damn things. A sub-board visible on the main forum page would help alleviate that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »

I don't see how Other Games doesn't work.

I've actually... tested that... It really doesn't work because you KNOW you are just keeping a single thread up for a select few number of people.

This is why I don't think a child board would work. If there's not enough regular traffic to keep a thread alive, chances are that a sub-board is going to go heavily under-used. That's not to say that I don't think the idea is bad conceptually, just that we don't have a large enough fanbase here for even a sort of Tabletop General board to work out. When we get splits like that, it's generally because of something like ER or Masterwork, where a single topic is swamping a board with a bunch of threads specifically related to that, to the point where unrelated stuff is being constantly pushed down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

This isn't about a Forum D&D sub-forum, it's about an Other Games sort of forum for talking about D&D.

Ooooh!

Well then shoot. Ignore me then. I'm not sure you necessarily would need a forum specifically for that purpose really.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 04:12:13 pm »

Do we even have much discussion on it in the first place? Most of the games down below seems to have the same people playing and GMing them, and its a similar thing with the people who talk about it. (Yes yes I know how ironic this sounds coming from an FEF player)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »

I think it seems a little narrow. It would be inhabited mostly by lowerboarders, meaning it would probably be extremely likely to be just a few megathreads, and it's too broad to have a not-megathread structure.

I think that a GD megathread would work out best.
Do we even have much discussion on it in the first place? Most of the games down below seems to have the same people playing and GMing them, and its a similar thing with the people who talk about it. (Yes yes I know how ironic this sounds coming from an FEF player)
It tends to be a once-a-week thing for an emotion thread to derail into D&D discussion, but since those things are basically derailguns it doesn't matter much.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:19 pm »

We could always test this...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 07:10:25 pm »

Let testing begin.

I meant... have an actual thread...

not an incredibly vague topic that can't be used for any genuine discussion because you are fighting for air time.

ESPECIALLY since card games and board games are not the same game... Heck board games and tabletop games aren't the same.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:02 pm »

Let testing begin.

not an incredibly vague topic that can't be used for any genuine discussion because you are fighting for air time.

ESPECIALLY since card games and board games are not the same game... Heck board games and tabletop games aren't the same.
TVTropes begs to differ.

And I don't see how that's incredibly vague, really.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »

Let testing begin.

Well it's all played on top of a table so.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 07:52:52 pm »

I'm quite sure you've lost it, puff. Board games are played on the floor. Or at least 90% of the ones I've played were.

Fair chunk of the card games were, too, really... floor's usually more convenient and less cluttered than your average table.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3