Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257199 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #3165 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:42 pm »

EDITEDIT: Russia and all the other former USSR republics are preparing to present Germany with an official claim of how much damage it inflicted on them during the WW2. Of course, any reparations are extremely unlikely at this point, but it's still a valid way for Russia to be a political dick to Germany.
Okay, now this is getting officially stupid. First the GDR thing - okay, but this is something else.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:27 pm »

EDITEDIT: Russia and all the other former USSR republics are preparing to present Germany with an official claim of how much damage it inflicted on them during the WW2. Of course, any reparations are extremely unlikely at this point, but it's still a valid way for Russia to be a political dick to Germany.
Okay, now this is getting officially stupid. First the GDR thing - okay, but this is something else.
Political posturing tends to be stupid by definition.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: February 02, 2015, 11:32:53 pm »

All of the former USSR republics? The article says that they hope Belarus, Ukraine, and others will join the thing. Ukraine has nothing to gain from being a dick to Germany when they're trying to do the opposite at this time.

And yeah, the GDR thing I was like 'if that's how you want to deal with your past, okay', but this one is getting into somewhat silly territory.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »

All of the former USSR republics?
There are some other articles out there that talk about representatives of Kazakhstan and the like being invited into the research group. But I'll be damned if this entire initiative will lead to anything meaningful, most likely it will just fizzle out in a month or two.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:09 am »

I was posting quickly before going to class, so I couldn't comment on that opinion piece I posted earlier. I think arming Ukraine isn't a good idea, for a number of reasons.

First of all, Ukraine can't win the war. Even with modern weapons, there is no chance of a purely military victory by the UAF. The number of Russians troops in Ukraine is a few thousands. Not counting conscripts, Russia's land forces numbers in the hundred of thousands. Of course, not all of them are deployable, but Russia could still easily increase its deployment tenfold. Increased UAF capabilities will only be met with increased Russian presence, causing more collateral damage but changing little on the ground.

*Ukrainian Ranger facepalms reading that*

You know what that remind me? February 21, after one hundred dead, EU officials arrived in Kiev to persuade protesters to negotiate a deal with a murderer Yanukovich and let him rule at least for one more year because else "you will all be dead"

Evil must be opposed, not going "let's not provoke it for further action" route
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: February 03, 2015, 12:24:59 am »

Define evil.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:44 am »

Russia
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:44 am »

Define Russia.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:19 am »

Neo-Ussr ruled by imperialistic revanchists who want to reconquest USSR and ready to kill as many as needed and even more.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:17 am »

Well, UR, do you think the UAF can achieve a military victory?

Knit Tie: Somehow I don't see Estonia or Latvia joining in this drafting. Plus, the USSR already helped itself to reparations after the war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: February 03, 2015, 02:51:33 am »

Can Ukraine win the war without getting to guerilla stage? Main problem are Russian aviation and ballistic\cruise missiles. If we find a way to negate this*, defensive war is winnable

I am not worried about 300 000+ because as I believe that Russia has 50 000-100 000 of acceptable quality troops. Everything else has no adequate training, morale, equipment. Should this weird "no aviation in 21th century" war continue, pouring shitloads of  infantry\armor in Donbass will result in huge causalities for Russia.

*sadly, we need NATO involvement here

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: February 03, 2015, 03:09:21 am »

Like how Russian Parliaments talks about 3 trillion Euro compensation from Germany for WW2 damage :D

I want to know, by their logic,  how much Ukraine should demand? Because most of USSR's economical and humanitarian damage was suffered by Ukraine. (by absolute numbers, IMO,  Belarus was hit even harder)

Well, considering that Putin said that Russians won WW2 without Ukrainians, their logic is consistent.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: February 03, 2015, 03:11:09 am »

Well, UR, do you think the UAF can achieve a military victory?

Knit Tie: Somehow I don't see Estonia or Latvia joining in this drafting. Plus, the USSR already helped itself to reparations after the war.
Not really, at least not to the extent that would be considered even remotely fair. Still, all this talk about demanding reparations from Germany is just hot air, it will not amount to anything in the end.

Well, considering that Putin said that Russians won WW2 without Ukrainians, their logic is consistent.
Just out of pure curiosity, do you mind pointing it out to me where he said that?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:12:40 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: February 03, 2015, 04:05:36 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0FJge8nDxM

Technically he said - "we would win without Ukraine" but I see no difference between saying this and "Ukrainian contribution was useless, we won without it"

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: February 03, 2015, 04:43:40 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0FJge8nDxM

Technically he said - "we would win without Ukraine" but I see no difference between saying this and "Ukrainian contribution was useless, we won without it"
I am afraid there is a big difference between "it would've been possible for us to win without Ukraine" and "Ukrainian help was useless" - even if the USSR could've possibly won without Ukraine, how does this hypothetical possibility discredit the actual Ukrainian contribution to the USSR's victory?
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 220