Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257148 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #3195 on: February 03, 2015, 09:04:30 am »

Heh, I think we still have a hill or two we got from Germany after WWII >:)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:42 am »

might as well make the job of migrating to germany easier on them, helgo

and having a few more lands to pick up from ossi level would give you a good point to tell greece to fuck off with
We already have open borders, haven't we? And freedom of residence and such. And lots of empty buildings with oversized infrastructure. Populating the ex-DDR with Poles would be a sensible move, really, especially if they'd flush out the Nazis while they're at it.
Don't you come from the general area?

*sees only Litchenstein and Luxembourg, the other smaller city states (not the vatican because papal states) and maybe Belgium raise their hands*

And Australia isn't a real country? lolwut Helgo.
Luxembourg, smj, at least if I remember correctly.
And the Vatican is fairly young; the papal states were something entirely different.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:50 am »

Well they were pretty terrible to the natives of their territory even after they were independent, but they haven't invaded another sovereign nation unless you count their troops being active on foreign soil participating in their allies' wars (like the world wars, 1812, I'm pretty sure they sent some guys to Iraq, and a couple of other, more low key conflicts.) Though that could just be because the opportune moment hasn't come along yet, they've got themselves a pretty respectable military.

Spoiler: Evidence (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:50 am »

Those who haven't invaded someone at some point in time, raise your hands

*sees only Litchenstein and Luxembourg, the other smaller city states (not the vatican because papal states) and maybe Belgium raise their hands*

Edit: Also Kosovo.

Edit2: Wait, does colonialism count? Because if so, Belgium is out.

Did Canada ever really invade anyone? Might be a bit poorly-read on my Canadian history, but I'm pretty sure the US got to pretty much all the possible colonialism in this entire hemisphere before Canada was free of the Queen.

I was talking about Europe specifically though.

As for 1812, they were still a colony under Britian, so, it's not like they couldn't refuse to fight if they wanted to refuse.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:57:32 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:56 am »

Did Canada ever really invade anyone? Might be a bit poorly-read on my Canadian history, but I'm pretty sure the US got to pretty much all the possible colonialism in this entire hemisphere before Canada was free of the Queen.

"Free of the Queen"? Canada's head of state is still Queen Elizabeth. Canada only became independent (in the sense that it didn't need to appeal to the parliament in the UK with regard to certain laws being passed) in 1982.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:48 am »

Even the US isn't free of the monarchy...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: February 03, 2015, 11:08:33 am »

Knit Tie: I love how you go about how this is "just posturing", then fly into some sort of manic rage the moment I suggest countries should ask reparations from Russia.

More seriously, it IS just posturing. And since Russia wants reparations, it would be hilarious for Poland to send a note saying "We completely support your move to get reparations for the horrors of WWII. Since we're sure you want to lead by example, we added in annexes our demand for 15 bajillions rubles."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: February 03, 2015, 11:17:59 am »

Knit Tie: I love how you go about how this is "just posturing", then fly into some sort of manic rage the moment I suggest countries should ask reparations from Russia.
It was a joke. Like that Putin vs. Merkel thing we had earlier. Please stop taking everything I say so damn seriously, unlike you Belgians, we Slavic Ubermenschen have this thing called "a sense of humour." I don't really consider accusations of past atrocities to be a nice or smart thing to do, anyway.

No, seriously, remember how you didn't like it when I called you a "red scared leftist"? That's how I feel most of the time talking to you (and Helgo) here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:23:49 am by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: February 03, 2015, 11:30:57 am »

Well, if these:

For what? Katyn? Where the hell did you get that many Russian - killed Poles from?

Also Poles should first demand some reparations from the current Ukrainian government, seeing how they worship Bandera and all.

To get back those territories that the Poles captured from us during the Soviet - Polish war and not a square meter more? Besides, those territories were part of Ukraine before the Poles conquered them and are part of Ukraine now - so why don't you tell all that to Kyiv?

Those who weren't invaded by Poland, also raise hands.

Seriously, though, as soon as Poland gives Silesia and Pomerania back to Germany, I'll be willing to pay it reparations.

are example of Slavic humor, I don't want to know what you guys sounds like when you're serious.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: February 03, 2015, 11:33:08 am »

The idea of Sheb being a Red Scared Leftist i.e. a Leftist scared of the Reds in Russia would be accurate if Russia was anything close to red, rather than the ultraconservative, right-wing state it actually is. Russia is not red. It hasn't been for a very long time.

Also - Helgoland is not left wing to the point that he would be considered a "leftist". Maybe in a country as far right as Russia he may be, but I think even David Cameron would be considered left wing in Russia.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:37:34 am by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:52 am »

Well, if these:

For what? Katyn? Where the hell did you get that many Russian - killed Poles from?

Also Poles should first demand some reparations from the current Ukrainian government, seeing how they worship Bandera and all.

To get back those territories that the Poles captured from us during the Soviet - Polish war and not a square meter more? Besides, those territories were part of Ukraine before the Poles conquered them and are part of Ukraine now - so why don't you tell all that to Kyiv?

Those who weren't invaded by Poland, also raise hands.

Seriously, though, as soon as Poland gives Silesia and Pomerania back to Germany, I'll be willing to pay it reparations.

are example of Slavic humor, I don't want to know what you guys sounds like when you're serious.
Well, none of these sounds like a serious, or even sane, post to me. I was trying to parody the stereotypical rabid jingoistic putzriot there, but I guess it's either that I suck at parodies or that Poe's law was in effect there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: February 03, 2015, 12:54:47 pm »

Knit Tie, as an expert on UA social networks, can you please find the origin of this gem:

Spoiler: the gem (click to show/hide)

, so that I can put it into automatic translator for our English-speaking audience? Because it's a good case as to why the UAF loses so many military vehicles in combat.
._.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: February 03, 2015, 01:16:06 pm »

Your not a real country until you invade 1 of your neighbours, we have to start a war with NZ first  ::)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: February 03, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »

Some dead dude with belgium military uniform found. Confirm that belgium is sending its military and actively fighting in ukraine  :)

Not sure should I link the video as it is extremely disturbing (he has a hole in the head)
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: February 03, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »

Some dead dude with belgium military uniform found. Confirm that belgium is sending its military and actively fighting in ukraine  :)

Not sure should I link the video as it is extremely disturbing (he has a hole in the head)

Not neccesary to link it I guess. Anyways, could be a Belgian mercenary who kept his Belgian military uniform for some reason. We need more information on that to really make a conclusion. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the EU countries were trying to quietly support Ukraine through advisors, special forces (although if it WAS special forces, they probably wouldn't leave their dead behind), various stuff.

Knit Tie, as an expert on UA social networks, can you please find the origin of this gem:

Spoiler: the gem (click to show/hide)

, so that I can put it into automatic translator for our English-speaking audience? Because it's a good case as to why the UAF loses so many military vehicles in combat.

Or just summarize that thing?

Your not a real country until you invade 1 of your neighbours, we have to start a war with NZ first  ::)

What about Indonesian operations during WWII?
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 220