Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257717 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2745 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

You could always skip all that bs and snort caffeine powder. :p

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 24, 2015, 06:25:03 pm »

You could always skip all that bs and snort caffeine powder. :p
Or amphetamines.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 24, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »

It's practically impossible to get serious overdoses of caffeine with coffee and tea, no matter how strongly brewed. You'll feel sick long before you've crossed the danger threshold. With OTC caffeine pills is hard, but not undoable. With methamphetamine  and/or cocaine it's relatively easy and the side-effects can be deadly (fun fact: the vast majority of strokes in people under 40 are because of amphetamine and cocaine abuse).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:32:34 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 24, 2015, 06:41:13 pm »

Yes I know. That said, even without an "overdose event" permanent damage can be done with excessive caffeine.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 24, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »

Actually, regarding the shelling of Mariupol, I've got a question: were all shots fired from the same direction, or just a part of them?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: January 24, 2015, 07:12:56 pm »

Spoiler: Reminds me of this (click to show/hide)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 24, 2015, 07:20:17 pm »

I am just saying that, considering how the people who were shelled in Mariupol attribute the shelling to both sides on social media, it would be a very neat explanation if the shelling really did happen from both sides.

Also, conspiracy theory defense doesn't really work when a country has a very vested interest in having atrocities perpetuated against it - a big scandal in Europe about how poor Ukraine is suffering would be incredibly beneficial to Poroshenko, as opposed to the 9/11, which, if it indeed was, hypothetically, of course, a fake, didn't benefit the Washington in any way, shape or form.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:24:24 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 24, 2015, 07:34:59 pm »

But why would Kiev need to fake an attack on Mariupol when a real one was going on? You know, the phrase that often comes to mind when reading your posts is полезно дурак...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: January 24, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »

But why would Kiev need to fake an attack on Mariupol when a real one was going on? You know, the phrase that often comes to mind when reading your posts is полезно дурак...
That's not an actual phrase what you just posted. I don't even know what you meant there. "Useful fool," perhaps?

But to answer your question - because the rebels don't tend to shoot civilians! And if they are not shooting civilians, how can Ukraine portray them as evil in the eyes of European populace, which I can personally confirm from Edinburgh doesn't even remotely care about Ukraine. Or Syria and ISIS, for that matter. Hybrid wars are all about propaganda warfare - each side needs to portray itself as just and noble and the other side as barbarous in order to reap the benefits of third party public's support.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:46:45 pm by Knit tie »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »

True. Also, if it weren't for public/international opinion, these wars could easily be quelled. It's not a popular solution for a reason though...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 24, 2015, 07:54:14 pm »

Good God, Knit - you yourself were talking about rockets coming from both sides. Don't be so daft!

And yes, 'useful fools' - although the English version is 'useful idiot'. Was полезно дурак not a correct translation?
The Bay12 postcard club

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: January 24, 2015, 08:07:13 pm »

Good God, Knit - you yourself were talking about rockets coming from both sides. Don't be so daft!
That's just a theory, like how "Kyiv setup" is just a theory. I cannot claim to know what happened there personally, and all the sources are biased, so I cannot voice anything but theories. I don't make any claims here, that's all just speculation. For all we know, it is theoretically possible that some shells came from the rebel side by mistake, and then some from the Ukrainian side in order to exacerbate the destruction and fuel another one of those "Je suis Volnovakha Mariupol" marches, just as it is possible that some rebel battery deliberately shot at Mariupol in order to avenge all those shellings of Donbass.

And useful idiot is полезный дурак in Russian. And condescending asshole, guess why I'm mentioning it here, is снисходительная сволочь.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:23:49 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »

What is probability to meet a dinosaur during a walk? It is 50%. You will either meet a dinosaur or not.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:46 pm »

What is probability to meet a dinosaur during a walk? It is 50%. You will either meet a dinosaur or not.
What is the probability to meet a dinosaur during a paleontological museum visit?

Different circumstances, mate. Ukraine wants a big, public scandal, one that will get Novorossiya declared a terrorist organisation and secure NATO help for Kyiv, it's pretty much the best possible scenario for Porosheko, and the only one that absolutely guarantees Ukraine a win. Why not, theoretically, have a false-flag operation or two to achieve such a scenario, then?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:05:41 pm by Knit tie »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: January 24, 2015, 09:58:06 pm »

Or maybe Russian artillery is indiscriminately attacking the area in the offensive.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 220