Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257999 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2355 on: January 18, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

I think given the current lead enjoyed by eurosceptics in British political polls on possible EU referendums, hoping that the UK will take the lead is the equivalent of resting on a broken staff. Germany's destiny is manifest - I for one welcome our new Teutonic overlords. Then again I sometimes wish Germany won the First World War so that kind of thought process isn't unusual for me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: January 18, 2015, 07:44:40 pm »

... You're an interesting person, Owlbread.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: January 18, 2015, 07:51:00 pm »

Germany's destiny is manifest - I for one welcome our new Teutonic overlords.
We'll talk about that in ten years, Owl, after the current crisis has blown over. But even if it's true, it'll take some getting used to. Many Germans - me included - still cringe at hearing the national anthem without some official cause; suddenly being the hegemon of Europe is a bit much.

Then again I sometimes wish Germany won the First World War so that kind of thought process isn't unusual for me.
Maybe, but only if we'd won it in the first couple of weeks: IIRC it was just some fuckhead general on our side who saved Paris from being occupied. We could've had a nice repeat of 1870/71, Germany's ego would've been satisfied, the British would've struck a deal, and, seriously, fuck the French. Who knows what would've happened on the Eastern front, though.
After the meatgrinders of the Somme and of Verdun though I doubt that a German victory would've been a good influence on mankind - we'd never have gotten over it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: January 18, 2015, 07:59:25 pm »

Didn't Germany got like the entirety of the Ukraine in WWI?

I mean, I didn't last long, but still :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2359 on: January 18, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »

Then again I sometimes wish Germany won the First World War so that kind of thought process isn't unusual for me.
Owlbread confirmed unpatriotic fifth column for EU shills
Send in the Poppy squads for reeducation

Though yes, I do admit that it is an unusual position to hold. What processes guide those kinds of thoughts? I suppose a Germany win in WWI = WWII Nazis don't exist, probably.

I think given the current lead enjoyed by eurosceptics in British political polls on possible EU referendums, hoping that the UK will take the lead is the equivalent of resting on a broken staff. Germany's destiny is manifest - I for one welcome our new Teutonic overlords.
Euroskepticisim is gargantuan in UK (highest in the world) for a whole sleuth of reasons m8y, on the topic of dosh UK GDP growth surpasses lagging French GDP growth and falling German GDP growth; the IMF forecasts the UK to become the #2 economy in the Western world after the USA in 15 years since we're out of the ailing eurozone. In the words of Frankie Boyle: 'Fuck off Germany.'

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: January 18, 2015, 08:03:07 pm »

the IMF forecasts the UK to become the #2 economy in the Western world after the USA in 15 years since we're out of the ailing eurozone.
Source? Because Germany still exists...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:00 pm »

Owlbread confirmed unpatriotic fifth column for EU shills
Send in the Poppy squads for reeducation

Though yes, I do admit that it is an unusual position to hold. What processes guide those kinds of thoughts? I suppose a Germany win in WWI = WWII Nazis don't exist, probably.

Yes, pretty much that, but also I have wondered from time to time what would have happened if they'd won. Would Germany settle for Alsace, or actually conquer us as Overlords?

Would workers in Scotland be better placed under German overlordship, for one thing? Would they have had better rights? Would there have been closer links between us and the Left in Germany? Maybe post-victory, Leftists in Germany could have taken the lead rather than Russia. I also wonder if we could have become some kind of outwardly-independent puppet state alongside Ireland.

Of course this is getting a bit Europol in here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:16:45 pm by Owlbread »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: January 18, 2015, 08:16:19 pm »

My god, Owlbread, a Kaiser loyalist all this time. I knew there was a motive for all this 'Scottish Freedom'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: January 18, 2015, 08:23:48 pm »

Yes, pretty much that, but also I have wondered from time to time what would have happened if they'd won. Would Germany settle for Alsace, or actually conquer us as Overlords?
Nationalism, man. Germany wouldn't have annexed Paris because it wasn't considered German. We'd prolly have been content with Alsace-Lorraine and a substantially weakened France after a short-ish war. After the bloody mess that was WWI though... No way anyone would've walked away content.
@Leftism: A big reason for Germany turning right-wing after WWI was the hurt national ego: The Dolchstoßlegende is symptomatic of that. Had Germany won WWI, the SPD would've been able to claim its share of patriotism for supporting the war credits, and (hopefully) become the leading political power in the Reich, which however would've remained a Prussian aristocracy... Any eventual subsequent revolution or major reform would've been carried by leftists instead of rightists. A full-on Communist revolution seems unlikely - Spartakus failed even in the post-WWI Weimar Republic - but steady democratic progress would certainly be reasonable to expect.
The Bay12 postcard club

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2364 on: January 18, 2015, 08:24:16 pm »

the IMF forecasts the UK to become the #2 economy in the Western world after the USA in 15 years since we're out of the ailing eurozone.
Source? Because Germany still exists...
First France THEN (some of) THE WORLD
Also the Guardian with this:
PricewaterhouseCoopers says only India will overtake Britain by 2030, but report ignores possibility of Scotland voting to leave, Dohoho, insert satirical banter about oil prices and the Queen here

Would workers in Scotland be better placed under German overlordship, for one thing? Would they have had better rights? Would there have been closer links between us and the Left in Germany? Maybe post-victory, Leftists in Germany could have taken the lead rather than Russia. I also wonder if we could have become some kind of outwardly-independent puppet state alongside Ireland.
Of course this is getting a bit Europol in here.
Also very Godwin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: January 18, 2015, 09:34:47 pm »

Maybe, but only if we'd won it in the first couple of weeks: IIRC it was just some fuckhead general on our side who saved Paris from being occupied. We could've had a nice repeat of 1870/71, Germany's ego would've been satisfied, the British would've struck a deal, and, seriously, fuck the French. Who knows what would've happened on the Eastern front, though.
After the meatgrinders of the Somme and of Verdun though I doubt that a German victory would've been a good influence on mankind - we'd never have gotten over it.

Are you fucking serious?  The only redeeming thing about WWI was that it made people aware of the legitimacy of national identities over bullshit Clautswitzian thuggery.  Nationalistic paranoid idiots like Knit Tie weren't just be fringe wankers, they were the norm.  You make it so that Germany upholds the principle of might makes right in WWI and then you are just pushing back the date when we actually figure out a stable world order.  Where in WWI we had 1870 as the prelude to 1914 we'd instead have 1914 play prelude to an unprincipled imperial slugfest sometime in the 30s or 40s.  And we'd have atomic bombs falling on cities taking the place of poison gas falling on trenches.  And if you think the cold war was fucking bad imagine how hard it would be to hold together a stable international order when the racial grievance is your fatherland nuked my fatherland nonstop for years multi-megaton nukes instead of the firecrackers that were used in WWII.  And of course we would then have WWIII because if there wasn't a WWI to give wisdom to the peacemakers of WWII then we'd need another war to sort things out.  I wonder what cities we'd see disappear in cluster balistic nuclear attacks and neutron bombs?  Or maybe mankind would come up with an even more horrifying weapon with the extra incentive./

I may be drunker and more belligerent then usual but shouldn't a German know about what the goddamn categorical imperative is?  Kant was a German last I checked.  The modern happy world we know where the death of a few thousand civilians is front page news didn't happen by goddamn accident.  It sucks that the German speaking nations didn't get to have fun being racist towards natives like the French and British but it's a good thing that we started the process of setting up a decent international order.

Never forget, the least violent decade in human history was 2000-2010, the second least violent was 1990-2000 and the third least violent was 1980 until 1990.  The past is a horrible, horrible fucked up place and it was a good goddamn thing when a Germany that wanted to keep the old shit going got stopped.  The best thing that ever happened to the world was it getting divided up by superpower's who minimized civilian deaths compared to the absolute goddamn nightmare that was the pre-1946 world.  If you dont thank your fucking stars that happened you dont realize how goddamn vicious the past was.

Goddamn Germans, you act like if you claim you dont want to boss anyone around that means you dont need to take any responsibility for the world.  It's a goddamn connected world you fuckers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:18 pm »

Nationalistic paranoid idiots like Knit Tie weren't just be fringe wankers, they were the norm. 
You know, I am just wondering, how the hell did I manage to become your worst enemy above people like Sergarr and Guargian?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: January 18, 2015, 10:10:50 pm »

I may be drunker and more belligerent then usual

This may have something to do with it.

Anyway, Ukraine has once again claimed to control almost the entirety of Donetsk airport, and the Prime Minister has vowed to "retake the rebel held east." This may well be the first battle in a major Ukrainian offensive.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: January 18, 2015, 10:14:02 pm »

And once again they do not seem to be in a hurry to show us any photos or videos of the AFU "cyborgs" in the Donetsk airport.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: January 18, 2015, 10:42:50 pm »

Nationalistic paranoid idiots like Knit Tie weren't just be fringe wankers, they were the norm. 
You know, I am just wondering, how the hell did I manage to become your worst enemy above people like Sergarr and Guargian?

Speaking about myself. Enemy is a loud word. You are disrespected. I respect Sergarr and Guardian because they have their own opinions while you have none. You are re-translating everything put in your head by Russian internet propaganda.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 220