Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258329 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2145 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:29 pm »

Could you please give your definition of "ultranationalist" and explain why it doesn't apply to a rebel faction that is fighting to unite ethnic Russian majority territory in Ukraine with Russia by force?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 15, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm taking a class called "Interpreting the Russian Media" this term, and watched an interview with a very distinguished figure who informed us that the Charlie Hebdo attacks were part of a CIA plot to isolate Moscow.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm taking a class called "Interpreting the Russian Media" this term, and watched an interview with a very distinguished figure who informed us that the Charlie Hebdo attacks were part of a CIA plot to isolate Moscow.
Who was it, if I may ask? Or, to put it differently, was that person pro-Russian or pro-American?

Could you please give your definition of "ultranationalist" and explain why it doesn't apply to a rebel faction that is fighting to unite ethnic Russian majority territory in Ukraine with Russia by force?
I'll let the Kremlin Stooge (or, more accurately, the guy he's quoting) take the spotlight on this one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:54:25 pm by Knit tie »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:51 pm »

Who was it, if I may ask? Or, to put it differently, was that person pro-Russian or pro-American?

He was definitely pro-Russian. I can't remember his name right now, but when I get back to my flat tonight I'll dig up the interview transcript.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 15, 2015, 08:42:02 pm »

He was definitely pro-Russian. I can't remember his name right now, but when I get back to my flat tonight I'll dig up the interview transcript.
I am getting this nagging suspicion that you may have been shown one of the worst examples of our politicians and/or propaganda. To be fair, though, Russian politics, unfortunately, have more than one example of people spewing vaguely pro-Russian insane drivel on camera.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 15, 2015, 08:52:59 pm »

After having read that article I feel more secure in my conviction that the Donbass rebels are ultranationalists. They just aren't necessarily Russian ultranationalists. They're something else. UR calls them Soviets - remember the distinctions he would make between them and Russian nationalists? They're like pan-East Slavic ultranationalists, who, if the viewpoints of said article are the norm, view Ukraine as an artificial construct dividing East Slavs. It's not a country to them - it's a "Ukrainian National Project". In practice pan-East Slavic ultranationalists are very similar to Russian nationalists and can be easily mistaken for them.

The reason why I call them "ultranationalists" rather than just nationalists is that, unlike a Scottish nationalist like me, they are using force and killing people to achieve their unification with Russia. They are very, very similar to the Ulster Loyalists. Another people created by a colonial power in a colonised country, partly accidentally, partly deliberately, who divide a cultural unit and allow the colonial power to continue to exert influence over the colonised nation.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:55:39 pm by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 15, 2015, 08:58:00 pm »

After having read that article I feel more secure in my conviction that the Donbass rebels are ultranationalists. They just aren't necessarily Russian ultranationalists. They're something else. UR calls them Soviets - remember the distinctions he would make between them and Russian nationalists? They're like pan-East Slavic ultranationalists, who, if the viewpoints of said article are the norm, view Ukraine as an artificial construct dividing East Slavs. It's not a country to them - it's a "Ukrainian National Project". In practice pan-East Slavic ultranationalists are very similar to Russian nationalists and can be easily mistaken for them.

The reason why I call them "ultranationalists" rather than just nationalists is that, unlike a Scottish nationalist like me, they are using force and killing people to achieve their unification with Russia. They are very, very similar to the Ulster Loyalists. Another people created by a colonial power in a colonised country, partly accidentally, partly deliberately, who divide a cultural unit and allow the colonial power to continue to exert influence over the colonised nation.
I am afraid that's not what the article talks about. For instance, the "Ukrainian National Project" does not refer to any literal project, but rather to the way Poroshenko's Kyiv is trying to transform Ukraine. Sort of like the American North banning slavery while the South supported it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »

This is one of those "Well, like, that's your opinion, man" moments, but I don't believe your interpretation is correct. Having read the article I identified the toxic pan-Slavic undercurrent (which is far closer to Nazi Germany's brand of Fascism than some swastika tattoos, and significantly more alarming) and interpreted it in that way.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:12:51 pm by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 15, 2015, 09:02:46 pm »

I don't believe your interpretation is correct.

I don't believe your interpretation is correct.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:05:41 pm by Knit tie »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 15, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »

I think you're trying too hard to put your own thoughts and opinions and words into the mouths of these people. You're only seeing what you want to see. I don't want to see what I see. I really don't.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 15, 2015, 09:13:15 pm »

"distinguished" by the sheer stupidity, I presume?
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 15, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »

I think you're trying too hard to put your own thoughts and opinions and words into the mouths of these people. You're only seeing what you want to see. I don't want to see what I see. I really don't.
We can always just agree to disagree and end it on that. When it comes to opinions, I am perfectly fine with people having a different view on things.

"distinguished" by the sheer stupidity, I presume?
Imagine how hard I am going to laugh if it turns out to be Zhirik.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 15, 2015, 09:20:27 pm »

We can always just agree to disagree and end it on that. When it comes to opinions, I am perfectly fine with people having a different view on things.

I never agree to disagree with people because I still think they're wrong and knowing that they're still wrong annoys me. This situation is no different. I will agree to a ceasefire, however, until the next flashpoint flares up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:24:12 pm by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »

I never agree to disagree with people because I still think they're wrong. This situation is no different. I will agree to a ceasefire, however, until the next flashpoint flares up.
How about a ceasefire with a promise by both sides to avoid deliberately bringing up flashpoints to expedite the end of said ceasefire?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »

How about a ceasefire with a promise by both sides to avoid deliberately bringing up flashpoints to expedite the end of said ceasefire?

But that's not a ceasefire, that's an armistice.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 220