Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257826 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #900 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:16 pm »

As a fun aside, the WW2 had a very feminising effect on the USSR - female equality, and even dominance, has been achieved in most economic and social fields, and to this day the countries of the former USSR continue to have very high percentages of women in senior management positions.

Slaughtered men = equity feminism! Yay!

And unlike the topic of Russia, the topic of shale oil is bound to have some impartial opinions.
Baaaaaaaahahahahahahah. Yeah. Sure. Fracking is totally not emotionally charged. :P

I'm sure they're BOUND to be level-headed, calm people discussing this pra- yeah I can't even do it. :P
What, a bunch fanatics taking sides, again?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:38 pm »

Yep. You either want to poison our childrens water supply, or you're rushing headlong into an energy crisis and have your head in the sand~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »

This happened across Europe as well. Men off to war = women had to work in factories, making munitions etc. Before the house was the place of a woman, but after the war ideas began to change through necessity.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »

Knit, I've seen that quoted as one of the key advantages the USSR had over Nazi Germany - including women in the army means a bigger pool of recruits, after all.

Also what Caz said - didn't this already occur after WWI to a degree?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:35 pm »

Yep. You either want to poison our childrens water supply, or you're rushing headlong into an energy crisis and have your head in the sand~
Okay, how about this question:

Is it true that very low oil prices are harmful for the shale oil industry?

Can you answer that?

Knit, I've seen that quoted as one of the key advantages the USSR had over Nazi Germany - including women in the army means a bigger pool of recruits, after all.

Also what Caz said - didn't this already occur after WWI to a degree?
The women, unfortunately, were never present in the Red Army in large enough numbers to make any significant difference, and most of those women were in non-combat roles to boot.

The gendercide of the WW2 in the USSR, truth be told, came onto a fertile ideological soil - Communism is a very feminist ideology, after all, right down to the destruction of traditional gender roles and condemnaion of sexualisation of the female body. Soviet women in general were in a very enviable position, equality-wise, even by the modern 1st world standards. It were the 90s that dragged them down into prostitution and objectification.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:39:05 pm by Knit tie »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »

All signs point to "Maybe."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 16, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »

All signs point to "Maybe."
Let's wait and see, then.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 16, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »

Projects that exist probably have too many sunk costs to easily shut down, though it would certainly put a damper on new investment if it looked like it would stay low long term or unpredictably drop again in the future. Though from what I can tell, renewable sources like wind and solar are coming into vogue these days among investment banks. So there's a good chance this plays directly into that (since fluctuating energy prices are a big part of the reason why you wouldn't want to invest in them).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:45:55 pm by alway »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #908 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:19 pm »

I got a report about the fight up there.  This spat occurred not long after I posted in the thread.  If people don't want to be muted/banned, they should make an honest effort to stop their bickering.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »

Okee-dokee, folks, you heard the Toad...

I'd like to say I would appreciate toning down inflammatory rhetoric, but I'm not always the chillest person, myself, so I'm just going to ask for general civility. I won't hesitate to start handing out probations if things get really heated, although the most I'm probably liable to do is tell people to take it to PMs.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:06 pm »

Speaking of economics, what do people think of this article, which I've posted before, but nobody seems to have commented on?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »

It's a very pretty conspiracy theory from some blogger bloke, but unless he's willing to call a whole swath of economists from the Austrian school to Keynes liars/conspirators who are the, ahem, "ruble's worst enemies," I think he needs to work on his premise.  You see, there's one tiny flaw with his premise on why inflation is an active consequence of an inflation rate hike, which is, again, the exact opposite of actual monetary policy theories at the worst, and at best, irrelevant.  Contrary to his statement, his hypothetical Orlov the Widget-Maker does not need to take a loan at 10.5% interest from the central bank; he could decline to take a loan at all, or take one from a private bank.  You see, when the central bank puts out a loan, typically, it's "creating" the money - putting it into circulation, if you will.  When the loan is paid back, it's "destroyed" - removed from circulation.  Increasing interest rates on loans is effectively a way to reduce the increase in currency in circulation, which is a contributing factor in inflation.  There are problems with the theory, certainly, but it's not malice, and it's not a way to encourage speculation to profit off the suffering of others.  At the very worst, the Central Bank is being naive, but then, they're not the only ones in that case, and a whole lot of economic theories are going to need to be reworked. 

I do think that the Central Bank is going to cop the blame, though, if things get too much worse.  The troika's not big enough, the horses aren't fast enough, and if the howling get close enough...

EDIT: Tweaked the last metaphor.  We haven't even seen the wolves yet; it's all just howling.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:50:51 pm by Culise »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 16, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »

First of all, I would like to tell every non-Russian here that, by and large, we tend to view what Westerners call "conspiracy theories" much less sceptically than said Westerners, mostly because we have a very rich history of our higher-ups engaging in exceptionally shady dealings, and thus do not view the possibility of somebody trying to be actively immoral as unlikely. Just a bit of trivia.

Anyway, I agree with you, Culise, in that what the Central Bank's doing is most likely not malice. They are most likely just being dogmatic in their macroeconomic beliefs, as this gentleman has stated (pro-Russian source, I know, but as I've said there's no choice - everybody takes sides on Russia). And I don't believe that he's said that inflation is a consequence of the inflation rate hike - his argument was that the rate hike will cause slow-down and recession in Russian economy. The malice comes from speculators like Gref, who are profiting off the ruble depreciation, and against whom the CB refuses to take measues on the basis that it's bad to intefere with the market.

And what do you think of his other points? Like Putin's desire to wait it out?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:30:19 pm by Knit tie »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:20 pm »

As a fun aside, the WW2 had a very feminising effect on the USSR - female equality, and even dominance, has been achieved in most economic and social fields, and to this day the countries of the former USSR continue to have very high percentages of women in senior management positions.

I figured it was more hte fact that they let women fight to a greater extent than anyone else. It's hard to have an old boys club when the aspiring female managers can open new positions via hot lead injection.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:09 am »

In USSR they promoted women in industry long before 1941.

Lets not forget that early USSR had no other sense to exist but to make world revolution (read world conquest)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 220