Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257852 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #825 on: December 16, 2014, 10:15:33 am »

Who else here wants the current Russian administration to survive this?  I do.  So Putin can continue giving the finger to the West.

Its just my fuck the world powers feeling.

Also the fact that with a crashed Russian economy/government... there will be starving people... riots and everything inbetween.  All for the sake of Western wet dream regime change.

With that mindset you're probably alone with maybe 3 or so people.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 16, 2014, 10:22:10 am »

It's not much of a finger if the Russian elite has nobody to blame but themselves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 16, 2014, 10:23:19 am »

The only problem with regieme change is that there is absolutely no guarantee that there will be someone who is any better than the previous person. Well, there is no guarantee that it will be the candidate that we would prefer to be in power.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

Revolutions, regime changes, democracy introduction... You can count on one thing in Russia: everything is terrible.
So you either have "everyone is waiting in the breadline while dissidents disappear into mental asylums" or "everyone except the 1% is poor and the 1% is pissing on you from their gold-plated helicopters".
And both of these are the ideal situations compared to all the other, even worse times.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:16 am »

Holy shit, radical solutions from Russian state organizations?

Truly the age of change is upon us.

EDIT: I get a feeling something big is going to happen before the New Year's Eve.

78.21... 79.5 now. Holy jesus.. This is a pretty big sign capital controls are incoming, or confidence has completely evaporated overnight.. Either one isn't good news..

Our oligarchy has finally decided to destroy Putin to save their own hides, and thus are using their financial reserves to do as much damage to economy as possible while still profiting in the process, thus preparing the ground for "popular" revolution.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:11 am »

Might help to not go from one extreme to the other.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:38 am »

Except the sanctions were not created to push for regime change, but to get Russia out of Ukraine (incl. Crimea).

However, this seems to have more to do with falling oil prices and a bad economy than with sanctions. Lifting them would only partially help.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 16, 2014, 10:32:00 am »

Economic collapse tend to bring forward the more frothing nationalists, and in Russia those are very frothing. Putin has been very good at keeping down any sort of opposition so if he disappears whatever takes over is unlikely to be anything better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 16, 2014, 10:35:09 am »

Russias economy was already in a bad state before the sanctions, not in a horrible state, but not healthy either.

I would also point out that some of the sanctions are self imposed, mainly the ones that Russia did on food.

I hope for all of Eastern Europes sake (including the Asian part of Russia) that their winter is mild.

Economic collapse tend to bring forward the more frothing nationalists, and in Russia those are very frothing. Putin has been very good at keeping down any sort of opposition so if he disappears whatever takes over is unlikely to be anything better.

Like um, early 20th century Germany? Sneaking by a godwin here.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:16 am »

Sometimes I wonder what Knit Tie and Sergarr's "Dream Russia" would look like.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 16, 2014, 10:37:07 am »

They are not only frothing, they're also now battle-hardened by fighting in Donbass.

And there's a lot of them.

Spoiler: Fuuuuuuuuuuu (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Our winter is currently very mild. Positive temperature, and no colds in sight.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:19 am »

Sometimes I wonder what Knit Tie and Sergarr's "Dream Russia" would look like.

And Guardian G.I., or is he from Belarus? Which is effectively a sattelite of Russia anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:28 am »

Who else here wants the current Russian administration to survive this?  I do.  So Putin can continue giving the finger to the West.

Its just my fuck the world powers feeling.

Also the fact that with a crashed Russian economy/government... there will be starving people... riots and everything inbetween.  All for the sake of Western wet dream regime change.
Not really.  The West wants Putin to change his course.  Putin can't change his course if he's not in power, and as noted, anything likely to replace him will not be any better.  If the US really wanted regime change, they'd have likely imposed blanket sanctions as they have against Burma, the Ivory Coast, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria...well, there's no lack of precedent.  Even the European reliance on Russian natural gas is gradually diminishing for a variety of reasons, and the US never had such a reliance to restrain them in the first place due to scales of distance.  The US and Western sanctions against Russia have, compared to almost any other economic sanctions implemented (and I only say almost because there may be examples I can't recall off the top of my head), been almost ridiculously restrained and very specifically targeted to individuals and companies, to be contrasted with the blanket Russian sanctions against the US and West in the agricultural sector. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:49:15 am by Culise »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:55 am »

EDIT: Our winter is currently very mild. Positive temperature, and no colds in sight.
Ours too. You guys are fucked either way.
All for the sake of Western wet dream regime change.
Name one person clamoring for regime change in Russia. It's a general consensus that while Putin may be bad, he currently is the best realistic option.

Your 'fuck the world powers' attitude appears to rather be a 'fuck that strawman of America' one. Be careful, straw is pretty hard - I for one would not like to ram my junk into the stuff.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:36 am »

Ours too. You guys are fucked either way.
All for the sake of Western wet dream regime change.
Name one person clamoring for regime change in Russia. It's a general consensus that while Putin may be bad, he currently is the best realistic option.

Your 'fuck the world powers' attitude appears to rather be a 'fuck that strawman of America' one. Be careful, straw is pretty hard - I for one would not like to ram my junk into the stuff.

Lol helgo, you and your humor XD, and I mean that in a good way.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220