Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257840 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #810 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11:34 am »

78.21... 79.5 now. Holy jesus.. This is a pretty big sign capital controls are incoming, or confidence has completely evaporated overnight.. Either one isn't good news..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:17:12 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 16, 2014, 07:45:23 am »

Someone must be making a ton of money right now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:46 am »

Someone must be making a ton of money right now.
Yes, the central bank. That's why they haven't done much about the inflation.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:40 am »

It's quieted down a bit, but it's still at about 73 rubles. It hit 80 an hour ago or so.

Also, it is mega scary when a currency loses, what, a quarter of its value in period of twenty-four hours.

EDIT: Also, yeah, found this gem on Bloomberg:

“The central bank is trying to stop the avalanche, and such a massive hike may be sufficient,” said Slava Breusov, an analyst at Alliance Bernstein in New York. “No one seems to be thinking what it will do to the economy, as the priority is to stop the ruble plunge.”
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:48:26 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:08 am »

Knit Tie: Care to explain your reasoning?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:20 am »

I mean, look at this: VneshTorgBank's stable, so is Transneft, metallurgy's growing, and ruble's been plunging like crazy, way more than it should've if only the market forces were in action. And central bank has recently tried to kill the Russian economy some more with horrible rates, right after telling us that Putin's an idiot and has got it all wrong about the depreciation. Suspicious, isn't it?

If something smells like massive-scale manipulations, and calls people who say that measures should be taken against massive-scale manipulations stupid...

I don't know, gentlemen, I think Nabibulina and friends will start finding polonium on their sushi really damn soon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:18:59 am by Knit tie »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:04 am »

I mean, look at this: VneshTorgBank's stable, so is Transneft, metallurgy's growing, and ruble's been plunging like crazy, way more than it should've if only the market forces were in action. And central bank has recently tried to kill the Russian economy some more with horrible rates, right after telling us that Putin's an idiot and has got it all wrong about the depreciation. Suspicious, isn't it?

If something smells like massive-scale manipulations, and calls people who say that measures should be taken against massive-scale manipulations stupid...

I don't know, gentlemen, I think Nabibulina and friends will start finding polonium on their sushi really damn soon.

Well, what alternative does Russia have? Spend its (admittedly massive) foreign-exchange reserves just to prop up the ruble? It can't do that forever, and returning the ruble to the 30-40 per dollar range would be exceptionally expensive.

If something cannot keep going on forever, it will stop, regardless of who's running the show.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:13 am »

It would also be bad for business for the bank to go and ruin the economy, but then again, the oligarchs and banks don't follow that line of logic.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:06 am »

It would also be bad for business for the bank to go and ruin the economy, but then again, the oligarchs and banks don't follow that line of logic.
Exactly. 17% goddamn percent. Followed by Nabibullina pretty much telling us to suck it up and stop whining.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:36:09 am by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 16, 2014, 09:40:10 am »

English articles would be nice....

*goes and google translates the thing*

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 16, 2014, 09:42:18 am »

English articles would be nice....

*goes and google translates the thing*
English articles don't usually resemble the Russian articles they were supposedly based on.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:48:36 am by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:45 am »

Well, according to wiki, the Central Bank's mandate is to keep inflation in check after all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 16, 2014, 09:55:00 am »

Isn't the i inflation going out of control though? I've only been half following the economics stuff in this thread because it's mostly going over my head (mainly the details of it, but I get that inflation is increasing).

Not sure what was reported, but I guess after that recent firestorm, Toady One was just being pre-emptive and saying to calm down.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:56:31 am by smjjames »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 16, 2014, 09:55:54 am »

Well, according to wiki, the Central Bank's mandate is to keep inflation in check after all.

Yeah. The RCB's biggest mandates right now are to keep inflation in check and do their best to keep the ruble from crashing and burning. If that means the economy goes into a sharp recession, then so be it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 16, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

Who else here wants the current Russian administration to survive this?  I do.  So Putin can continue giving the finger to the West.

Its just my fuck the world powers feeling.

Also the fact that with a crashed Russian economy/government... there will be starving people... riots and everything inbetween.  All for the sake of Western wet dream regime change.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 220