Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258141 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #600 on: December 03, 2014, 09:46:07 pm »

It looks like something way more serious than clans. Morning may bring some interesting news.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:23 am »

They should pull the referendum and separatist cards, just to see the hypocrisy in Putin's eyes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:43 am »

Not going to happen when Kadyrov is alive.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 04, 2014, 04:08:42 am »

Apparently, a group of Chechen Islamists went on a raid into the city, ran into police forces and took over the Chechen Press House office. According to RIA Novosti, some surviving Islamists are currently holed up inside a school near the city centre and police forces are trying to dislodge them out. BBC report adds nothing new.
Out of pure curiosity, I decided to check out how Russian liberals cover the event - they firmly supported the Chechen nationalists and Wahhabi Islamists during the two wars in Chechnya, in spite of their crimes and atrocities. Grani.Ru calls them with noble-sounding terms "Mujahideen" and "partisans", unlike the above linked websites, which call them "insurgents" or "militants". They didn't change at all, I guess.

Also, Putin is currently giving a speech to the Russian parliament.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:10:25 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 04, 2014, 08:17:18 am »

Moscow Junta doesn't want to negotiate with peaceful protesters :(
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:47 am »

To be serious:

Good luck Ichkerian Fighters. I am not a supporter of Islamism everyone here knows that but that kind of Mujahideen have my full support. Going in the enemy city to fight till death is a proper martyrdom unlike that shit with blowing up random civilians. And your declared goal "revenge for dishonored women" is a noble one, unlike that shit of creating "worldwide emirate"

Kill as many scum from gangs called "Russian police", "FSB", "Russian armed forces" as you can. Make them pay for kidnapped, raped and killed Ichkerian women.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 04, 2014, 09:38:43 am »

Feminists would not like you for that statement, UR  :D
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2014, 12:59:56 pm »

What can I say?  Russian special forces are cowards

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »

I guess most militaries prefer loose fire discipline over casualties.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 04, 2014, 01:32:34 pm »

Western militaries do not. Collateral damage is bad press, yo.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »

Well, how many people were in that school, apart from militant? If it was empty, that's an appropriate response.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »

It reminds me of an incident that happened in my home town in the late 1970s. My dad told me about it once.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:45:45 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 04, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »

The dollar is now at 54.25 rubles and climbing.

I wonder how this is going to play out, long-term...at some point, it doesn't matter how heavy-handed you try to make your control of the economy- if something cannot keep going on forever, it will eventually stop. Putin isn't up for election again until 2018, which he'll almost certainly win anyways- he's too popular not to, and it's not like the competition is much better. Another bout of hyperinflation seems like the most likely outcome. In many countries (such as Argentina when I visited two years ago), people keep their savings in dollars, and shopkeepers prefer dollars to the local scrip- but Argentina's government isn't particularly heavy-handed, just incompetent at economics, and you certainly can't spend dollars or euros in Russia.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 04, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »

It reminds me of an incident that happened in my home town in the late 1970s. My dad told me about it once.

What's a BTR? And um, yeah, talk about overkill......

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 04, 2014, 01:48:11 pm »

and you certainly can't spend dollars or euros in Russia.

Yet. It could change still. I must say things are going downhill for Russia a bit faster than I though they would.

How likely do you think is an investor run?7

Edit: A BTR is a Russian Infantry Fighting Vehicle. A kind of light Armored Transport/Tank crossover.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 220