Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258153 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #585 on: December 02, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »

There is an algorithm that people run in order to administer the bitcoin network.  Running this algorithm also generates new bitcoins for the people running it ("mining").  In theory the system could be compromised if one party was doing more then half the mining but the collapse in value would probably make that not worthwhile until the rewards from mining fall too low.  The algorithm that generates bitcoins generates them at a declining rate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:36 pm »

Last question: what ensures the value of this currency? Why are people willing to accept it as payment?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 02, 2014, 02:00:17 pm »

Nothing. That's why it is considered a Ponzi scheme.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 02, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »

What about that whole dogecoin thing or was it just a joke based on the bitcoin?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 02, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »

People mostly use it like reddit gold, from what I've seen, buying it to give to someone they think deserves some kind of recognition. That person can pay it forward or sell it or do whatever else with it from there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »

I fully support dogecoin becoming a true currency, supported by all the central banks of the world. Dear ECB; I want physical dogecoin, okaythanks.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:10 pm »

Do you have to pay money to use the system, or does running the aforementioned algorithm just gives you new bitcoins for free?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 02, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

Considering that to mine even 1 bitcoin atm you need special rigs working 24/7 which consume more electricity than the value of the said bitcoin, yes.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 02, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »

It does, but it's created to create diminishing return, so that 'mining' is only profitable with specialized hardware. Even then, it's not clear that you can actually make money off it once the costs of electricity are taken into account.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 02, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »

Which is when you start worrying that someone might do +50% of the mining and be able to compromise the integrity of the pyramid scheme.  It's alright though, the original founders already made tens of millions from the rubes and cashed out.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 02, 2014, 02:33:31 pm »

Hence all the hype and optimistic speculation to drive up the price of the things. It makes an interesting study of booms and busts though. Here's a good collection of historical data.

http://www.coindesk.com/price/
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 02, 2014, 02:42:32 pm »

Back on topic: some old rich white investor guy talks about Russia (in the first few paragraphs).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »

Bitcoin is actually banned in Russia, as it turns out. http://rt.com/business/187440-bitcoin-ban-russia-cryptocurrency/

But anyway, aside from the whole ponzi scheme thing, there are two main draws for cryptocurrencies.
1. Anonymity, sort of. It's a claim which falls flat pretty quick considering any government cybercrime organization could de-anonymize its use if they really wanted to. So for drug dealers and other relatively minor offenders, it's an attraction.
2. You are your own bank. This attracts the gold bug type who think banks and governments are going to magically cease to exist, as well as the criminal type, who want to avoid the legal things relating to banking (fraud reduction measures, asset freezes of suspects, difficulty of laundering money), as well as internet libertarian types who have yet to realize that a bank's fraud detection algorithms are the only thing protecting them from the 1500 people who have all the data necessary to take everything they own.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2014, 08:44:50 pm »

Meanwhile there are a firefight in Grozny(Chechnya) with APCs included.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 03, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »

Meanwhile there are a firefight in Grozny(Chechnya) with APCs included.
Some local clans grinding axes. Nothing unusual.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 220