Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60743 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Night 2 - Tormented by rowdy teenager necromancers
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2014, 11:55:42 pm »

Yeah, we don't have webadict. So I went ahead and made a choice that fits the things that have been going on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2014, 12:15:25 am »

Yeah, we don't have webadict. So I went ahead and made a choice that fits the things that have been going on.
Oooooh who is it?  You?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »

Remember, kids; if you want your avatar to stay relevant in a succession fort, appoint yourself to the boring but helpful jobs, and not the flashy prominent ones!

It's not a real succession fort until someone is on their fifth reincarnation!
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2014, 09:52:33 pm »

All will be revealed when I do the write-ups. Been busy all weekend, but I've finished my turn and I have the save uploaded. I'll get the write-ups done...probably tomorrow.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:10 pm »

11th Limestone

"Did you hear?!" Asked Toaster, excitedly. "Zan met with the outpost liaison today. He's being a bit hush-hush about the details, since things aren't finalized, but the caravan guards told me that we've gotten big enough to be declared a Barony!"

"Hmm." Persus looked concerned. "I wonder who'll be made Baron? Shouldn't this be a community decision? He's Mayor, nothing more!"

"Well, I think it's up to the Queen anyway." interjected Radio.

"Yeah, but I think they take local politics into account, don't they?"

"Hmph. Who's politics? That's what I'm worried about." Jim Groovester looked down into her mug.

20th Limestone

Lokum burst out of the mason's shop, his beard in disarray and a exquisite throne lifted above his head. "IT IS DONE!" He cried. "My life's masterpiece is DONE!"

But no one seemed to pay him any heed. They were all clustered around in the dining hall, chattering. Some gladly. Others with dark looks and suspicious mutterings.

The newly invested Baron Zan held up his hands. "Now, now, this is a bit of a shock to me as well, you know. They asked for the names of prominent dwarves of the fortress and I gave them the names of some of our best. Dwarves I'd have been proud to call my Baron or Baroness. But evidently the Queen decided that the will of the fortress was known by its elections, and they decided that the Mayor of this great fortress should become the Baron."

Murrmers erupted again. Many approving, but others whispered darkly of back room deals and corruption. But, like it or not, the fortress had a new Baron. One that wasn't as easy to remove as a simple election.

21st Limestone

"MURDER!" Cried one of the planters. "Udil has been murdered! Pushed down the well into the lake!"

"Murder? Are you sure?" asked one of the fortress guard, strolling up. "Did you witness this act?"

"Uh, well, no...but..." stammered the hapless dwarf.

"Then don't be so quick to cry murder. It could have been an accident. Or suicide, even! We'll have to investigate first!"

"My brother did not commit suicide!" Screamed the distraught dwarf. "I think it was foul business! Revenge for him talking against the new baron. I want justice!"

"Justice will happen when we have proof! I can't very well arrest the well, now can I?"

"I...no. Fine. But I'll see that there is justice! Just you wait! I'll find proof!"

"Bring it to me when you have it." And with that the guard went off to go file the paperwork. Murder or not, a dwarf was dead. And that always means paperwork for the guard.

Udil Zasgembish, Town Stoneworker has been found dead.

I'll try to work though all the update posts as quickly as I can so that the next overseer knows what's happened. I'll post them in chunks as I go through them.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2014, 12:17:12 am »

14th Sandstone

Mephansteras stoked the fires of the magma forge and worked his hammer on the glowing copper links. Chains for the new jails the Captain of the Guard wanted. And with accusations of murder...well, who can blame him? There can't be any justice without some way to punish criminals. Still, he felt a bit bad writing the orders for the design to be approved. To be locked away in a cell, unable to work? An awful fate for even a criminal to face.

He looked up. Fire and smoke, but not where there should be.

One of the potters near the kiln screamed in pain. His body was on fire, smoke billowing out from his cloths and beard. A fire imp cackled in glee nearby and it flung bolt after bolt of fire into the hapless dwarf.

Fire Imps attacking in the forges!

Another imp leaps up out of the magma next to the forge. Mephansteras punches it in the face and it scrabbles backwards. The smith grabs the creature and hauls it forward. Fire engulfs his hand as the creature struggles in vain to break free, but he ignores the burns and pummels the creature. What is fire to a smith? Again and again he hits it as it struggles against him. Finally he wrenches on its arm and pulls it away, bone and flesh tearing. Blood pours from the creature as it flops on the ground.

"Out!" cries Mephansteras, cradling his burned and bloody hand. "Everyone out of the forges. Call the guard!"

He staggers up to the stairs leaving a bloody streak behind him and the other imp finally kills off his victim.

Edzul Inethuthir, Town Beekeeper, has been found dead!

The Fortress Guard rushes in, but too late. The imp had returned to the lava.

Upstairs, Mephansteras sat with the Captain of the Guard as the doctors wrapped up his hand.

"You'll be fine, Mephansteras. You've lost a lot of blood, but it looks like you're retain the use of the hand once it has healed. Rest up for now."

"Bah. Too much to be done. I'll be all right. Now, Cousin, I'm going to put in plans for a more secure set of forges. But until we can get everything moved over, I want a guard posted in the forge area at all times. We can't let this happen again!"

"Agreed, agreed." Uzol looked concerned. "Do you think they were after the gold?"

"Imps? Bah. What would imps do with gold? It'd melt down in the lava!"

"I suppose you're right. Still...we can't be too careful."

"You're right about that. Viscious little things just want to cause pain, far as I can tell. Now, can you have Toaster come in and see me. I have some work orders for him to start filling..."

25th Sandstone

Mephansteras, Jim Groovester and Toaster stood at the north wall, looking down at the shattered bridge.

"It's horrible, but you have to admire the sheer destructive power of whoever did this." Toaster looked a bit awed. "That wasn't a small bridge!"

"Humph. I guess. But it means we'll have to have it replaced and hooked back up to the levers. It's a hole in our security. Looks more like sabotage than rage, to me." Jim looked rather worried.

"Well, what's done is done, whatever the reason. The Guard will have to look into who did this and why. In the meantime I'll tell the masons to get to work fixing it." Mephansteras shook his head. "Too much work to do. Not enough time."
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2014, 12:43:54 am »

27th Sandstone

Kogan Kodornil, Survivor Farmer, has been found dead, drowned.
Kib itebagesh, Survivor Baby, has been found dead, drowned.

The crowd was getting ugly. Another drowning, this time a mother with her child?! Shouts about murder and the Guard not doing their jobs echoed around the crannog. Uzol was trying to calm them with talk about the new jail being made and how investigations were ongoing but they took time. He had a few dwarves on his side, but a lot of anger was building up.

"We'll find out what happened. I promise!" Baron Zan walked through the crowd, honing in on the agriest dwarves. "We have to have patience. But with all the rain we've been having lately it's hard to figure out what happened. No one saw anything. There are no tracks, no clues. Our guard can't simply conjure up a criminal without proof! What are we, Humans?" That last bit was laden with disgust, and it had the desired effect. No dwarf wants a sham of justice.

The crowd begins to disperse, right before news captures their attention.

"Migrants!" Called out Icefire. "Heading in from the south east!"

Dwarves milled about in the courtyard to greet the new arrivals. Kinsfolk are welcomed and strangers introduced, as all such parties are welcomed.

Toaster spoke with each in turn and wrote down their names and occupations.

"Anyone really useful?" asked Mephansteras, walking up to the Clerk.

"Eh, smattering of occupations, but nothing too noteworthy."

"Can any of them work a forge, or at least a smelter?"

"Well, there is a glass blower. That work?"

"He'll do. Put him down in the forges. We could use more smelters to deal with the backlog of ores we have built up."

"Will do."

3rd Moonstone

"Ugh." Tiruin grimaced as she looked out over the sands. "More Kobolds sneaking around the gates. I hate those things."

"Yeah, me too." pisskop leaned against her spear. "Cowards won't even stick around long enough to fight me!"

The long, low call of a horn sent a chill down the two milita dwarves.

Goblins!

"Goblins?! How! Why?" Tiruin looked panicked.

"Gold, that's why! Why else!?" snapped pisskop. "Get the others up here, and get those civilians down underground!"

Jim was one of the first of the Captains topside. "What's going on?"

"An invasion, Ma'am. Goblin squad, from the north east. Looks like a mixed lot."

"Hmm. Ok, well, once the last of the farmers is in we can raise the bridges. Let them get bored and go away."

"We can't. The north bridge isn't scheduled to have the new mechanisms hooked up until later this afternoon."

"This afternoon. But...how did they know?" Jim looked at the new bridge in horror.

"Can't say, Ma'am. But I think we're going to have a lot of work to do."

Come play Mafia with us!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:02 am »

DUN DUN DUUUUUN
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:06 pm »

I assume the last two drowned in the creek?  It's got a higher kill count than any other threat to the fortress.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:35 pm »

I assume the last two drowned in the creek?  It's got a higher kill count than any other threat to the fortress.

Yeah. That creek is a monster.

Next update should be in the next few hours. Going to do the write-up during my lunch break.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, have you downloaded the save I posted yet?

Come play Mafia with us!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #295 on: December 03, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

I haven't been able to use my computer... And I probably won't be able to until Friday.
You could skip me, or wait until the weekend. Fourmask, your choice.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 03, 2014, 03:19:33 pm »

I'm debating signing up for a turn. I've only recently started getting really into Dwarf Fortress, but this looks really fun.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 03, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »

I've only recently started getting really into Dwarf Fortress

Date Registered:
    December 04, 2012, 06:52:11 pm

What were you doing here before?  Come here to hide from the end of the world? d=
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 03, 2014, 04:13:36 pm »

Did you try completing the dam, or is there not enough wood for more windmills and other mechanics?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 03, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »

Did you try completing the dam, or is there not enough wood for more windmills and other mechanics?

I finished up the suspended jobs that were there, but I had enough other projects on my plate I kinda forgot about it after that.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36