Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60815 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Day 2 - Mafia unleashes WMD - Weapon of Mass Dromedary
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:52 pm »

"Fathcakoth" sounds exactly like what I'd say if I'd just inhaled powdered snowbeast.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2014, 11:49:56 pm »

What killed the snowmonster? A stray bolt or...? Is it a listed kill?

Ha ha, bolts.

There are no bolts in my fortress.

A peasant named Lokum Fathcakoth took the kill.
@_@

Y'know, I suggest also checking that butcher shop right near the trade depot.

It has a TON of mussels.
As in, a TON to keep your bonecrafter working on crafts for...half a year. Give or take rest and breaks.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »

Can you make bone bolts out of mussel shells? During my first year, I spent turned one of our precious few surface trees into some wooden bolts for Jim the Hunter, and she wasted most of them.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »

Can you make bone bolts out of mussel shells? During my first year, I spent turned one of our precious few surface trees into some wooden bolts for Jim the Hunter, and she wasted most of them.
Nope.
Nope nope nope.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:15 am »

Nope.
You can make crafts out of mussel shells and trade it off though. We've had a legendary bonecrafter! (or...was that only my person who made that artifact buckler?) but anyway--you've got corpses that aren't sentients, designate a corpse stockpile on the crannog and activate the Butcher shops.

Bone bolts kept my marksdwarves healthy and deadly :3

You can craft leggings or light armor from mussels though. Shell armor!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2014, 07:19:38 am »

Finished the turn. Just need to write things up and upload the save.

Let's just say, Meph, you have an interesting challenge ahead of you.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2014, 07:25:04 am »

Can we upgrade to 40.17?
   (*) Made stress levels drop faster the longer no stressors are applied
This is crucial.
As in, seriously crucial (since I believe we lack the :D's in the current fort due to many setbacks [Necromancers, I'm lookin' at you])

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:08 am »

I already did. There are a couple of stressed dwarves still, but it seems kind of buggy. Some of the dwarves keep getting horrified by the death of a troglodyte despite the offending troglodytes having been killed a while ago and their bodies removed out of sight.

There are only a handful though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2014, 07:35:48 am »

I already did. There are a couple of stressed dwarves still, but it seems kind of buggy. Some of the dwarves keep getting horrified by the death of a troglodyte despite the offending troglodytes having been killed a while ago and their bodies removed out of sight.

There are only a handful though.
@_@
This...shouldn't happen at all. I played mine through 40.14 and didn't upgrade and once the bodies were out of sight (if in corpse stockpile--it doesn't seem to register at all so that's a +), they didn't mind.
Though yes, they do get horrified if they see ANY MAJOR PART of the Troglodyte...as far as I know anyway.
Also I like how dwarves Clean more now.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:49 am »

I'm sure it'll be interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2014, 07:33:58 pm »

In dead chat....

"This place sucks." TheDarkStar said. "I'm going back to the fortress."

"But you can't!" notquitethere feebly protested.

"Jim did!" TheDarkStar said. "I'm out of here."

TheDarkStar walked away into the cloudy void.

"I'm coming too!" Tiruin said. "I was never dead in the first place, so really I belong in the fortress."

Tiruin followed after TheDarkStar.

1st of Timber, 127

One of the miners has been insisting that they're TheDarkStar given flesh again. What a completely preposterous notion, dwarves coming back from the dead.

One of our soldiers has been insisting that they're Tiruin, which is not a dwarf I'm familiar with. I'll have to keep an eye on her.

mastahcheese came to me to complain about his broken finger again. "It's infected."

"So?"

"The infection might spread."

"Can't you just, I don't know," I said. "Suck it up?"

"You can't suck up an infection, Jim!"

"Fine, fine. We'll see about getting some soap, perish the thought."

Our apartments are also nearly dug out. In light of this, I've ordered masonry shops set up to start producing furniture from all the leftover stone. I've also ordered more of the marble quarry dug out.

The number of soldiers we have now surpasses the suits of armor we currently have, so even though it's copper armor I'm ordering more made. It's better than nothing.

3rd of Timber, 127

One of the animal trainers excitedly rushed up to me. "We caught a female giant cave spider!"

My eyes lit up. We already captured a male giant cave spider. With training and taming, we could make an army of the beasts and have an unstoppable answer to necromancers and undead and goblins and whatever else can threaten our fortress.

I've ordered all the exotic animals tamed and trained.

6th of Timber, 127

"Jim," 4maskwolf told me. "The fortress needs bolts."

I put my hands on my hips. "We have bolts." I said. "They're scattered across the fortress and sands with no particular organization."

"How many bolts are in our marksdwarves' quiver?"

I gripped the end of my own quiver.

"Exactly." 4maskwolf said. "As mayor, I'm ordering the production of bolts."

Meanwhile, in the player's chair

"Is this because I said in the thread we had no bolts? Damn psychic dwarves."

8th of Timber, 127

More strange behavior from one of our dwarves. ezum Imsaldegel is actively shooing people away from a mechanic's workshop and has been dragging and pushing boulders of gold up staircases.

It will be interesting to see what he makes.

9th of Timber, 127

TheDarkStar gave birth to a beautiful dwarven baby. When it does or doesn't grow a beard we'll learn whether it's a son or a daughter.

11th of Timber, 127

"Hey, 4maskwolf," A mysterious hooded dwarf said to the mayor. "Jim needs you to operate this pump over on the crannog."

"Hm. Okay."

12th of Timber, 127

"Has anybody seen 4maskwolf," I asked around. Nobody had seen him. I wonder what happened to him.

4maskwolf was a Town Mayor!

In dead chat....

4maskwolf aimlessly walked forwards. He found Captain Kaladin, notquitethere, and tonnot98 playing cards.

"Take a seat," Kaladin told him.

4maskwolf sat down and picked up some cards. "I never knew screw pumps could pump out that much water."

The dead dwarves nodded. "Yeah, stuff's rough."

13th of Timber, 127

After 4maskwolf's mysterious disappearance the fortress elected a new mayor. Urvad Ardeskogan, first of his kind, has been elected. It'll be interesting working with a dwarf who founded our civilization.

In other news, our fort numbers one greater after a birth.

18th of Timber, 127

than402 approached me. "We're running low on wood, and we're having trouble fulfilling the two hundred and forty bed manager order because of that."

So I ordered the cavern clear cut. Maybe this time around it will go better and we won't have any tragic giant olm accidents.

22nd of Timber, 127

"Jim," Mayor Urvad told me. "The fortress needs bolts."

"I've already had this conversation before. I know how it goes. I'll get bolt production going right away."

26th of Timber, 127

Our miners are digging out the marble quarry again. Fortress crannog here we come!

1st of Moonstone, 127

To start the winter off there was another incursion by necromancers.

They were as equally threatening as they were last time. They were discovered and then they left.

They did leave something this time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what message they were trying to send or what they hoped to accomplish since all our boots and socks are already covered in filth.

2nd of Moonstone, 127

I saw a dwarf stumbling around. "What's your problem?" I asked.

"Huh?" The dwarf started. "Oh, sorry."

14th of Moonstone, 127

"Hey, what's that?" A dwarf asked those around him at the cavern entrance.

"Is that a cave crocodile?"

"It is!"

"Get him!"

"Yeah! Kick its face in!"

A group of dwarves bludgeoned a cave crocodile with their fists and feet today. They didn't kill it though. I sent our soldiers to end its misery.

After a month spent gathering materials, ezum Imsaldegel began his work.

19th of Moonstone, 127

The dwarf completed the artifact, to the wild applause of the whole fortress.

"This artifact represents more than a third of our total wealth." Toaster told me. "It's valued at 250800."

20th of Moonstone, 127

More citizens beating up on cave crocodiles. The dwarf told the story of how he juked and dodged the cave crocodile until he knocked it unconscious and how he could've killed it too if the soldiers hadn't come to finish the job.

I'm starting to think dwarves are the predators around here.

26h of Moonstone, 127

We had two births today.

28th of Moonstone, 127

A bunch of monkeys ran into our fort. In a tragic turn, one of the monkeys knocked a poor mother and her two babies into the river.

Vucar Rimtarmatul was a Town Planter!
iteb Rigothkokeb was a Town Baby!
Imush Kibalath was a Mafia Baby!

I'm ordering the river dammed.

4th of Opal, 127

"Okay, so we'll just wait for it at the entrance like the last one and then-"

"It breathes fire!?" I asked in a panic.

"Yes, it does." Dorsidwarf reported. "I don't think our soldiers as they are can handle it."

"Very well." I said. "Evacuate the cavern and raise the bridge."

9th of Opal, 127

The monster's roars and the screams of the trolls and troglodytes it torments fill our fortress. The smoke from the underground forest fire is starting to choke our dwarves.

There should be no way it can cross the chasm the cavern bridge spans but I'm not willing to risk it. I've ordered the cavern sealed.

12th of Opal, 127

"What will we do about wood?" The construction team asked.

"I don't know." I replied. "We could break into the lower cavern, but there are even more dangerous beasts down there. I'm not willing to risk it. We'll have to make do with the wood we have."

20th of Opal, 127

Shakerag tells me they've begun smoothing the apartments. Now maybe everybody will stop complaining about how they live in a dingy hole in the ground.

It will still be a dingy hole in the ground, but at least our apartments will be nice.

27th of Opal, 127

Over the past two days we've had eight births.

The 27th of Slate must be a dwarven romantic holiday, but it's not one I or anybody else has heard of.

6th of Obsidian, 127

"This fortress despises you." A mysterious hooded dwarf told Kogan Kodornil the cook.

"They do despise me!" The dwarf responded, obviously stressed and depressed.

"Get back at it." The hooded dwarf said. "Destroy the northern bridge."

"You're right." The dwarf replied.

7th of Obsidian, 127

"Jim!" Tiruin shouted at me running. "The north bridge!"

"What?"

"It's been destroyed!"

"You're joking!" I said in disbelief. "Well, who did it?"

I walked to the remains of the bridge. I saw as Kogan Kodornil climbed onto the banks of the river, leaving her child behind to drown.

Mafol Risenushil was a Town Baby!

"Why did you do it?" I demanded.

"My baby!" She cried.

"Why!?" I shouted.

The woman sobbed.

Clearly I wasn't going to get anything from her. I ordered the bridge restored but whoever put her up to it had me and the whole fortress on edge.

9th of Obsidian, 127

In spite of the sabotage life continues. A child was born today.

18th of Obsidian, 127

With spring coming up the elves will be arriving soon. I've ordered a wide collection of trade goods created so that next year we'll be able to get supplies from caravans.

28th of Obsidian, 127

A collection of dwarves approached me.

"Jim," Radio Controlled said. "We've had concerns about your leadership."

"I think you'll find I left the fortress better than I found it." I said.

"It's not that," Persus said. "We discovered who ordered 4maskwolf to his death. It was you."

"I most certainly did not!" I shouted.

Dorsidwarf and Tiruin restrained me as Shakerag and Toaster picked up my log book and began flipping through the pages.

"Here," Shakerag pointed.

"For the entry of 11th of Timber, 127," Toaster said, "'4maskwolf is too much of an obstacle to my power. I'm going to send him to his death and make it look like an accident. It will be as simple as operating a screw pump."

"That's fake!" I shouted. "I never wrote that in there."

"Jim," Persus said. "You're not our overseer anymore."

"Fine," I said, shaking myself free from my holders. "Somebody else can run the fortress then."

1st of Granite, 128

And my tenure as fortress overseer is over.

So what I was trying to do with 4maskwolf's death was to muddy up some tiles in the lake biome to see if we could plant some different crops, like an aboveground cloth plant. So I built a pump and since I knew 4maskwolf wasn't doing anything since he was mayor I had him operate it. Screw pumps pump out a lot of water, you see.

And unfortunately, it didn't even work. The farm plot I put down there couldn't grow anything.

I'm convinced that the necromancers are just playing pranks on us now. Like the DF equivalent of doorbell ditching. Maybe I'm lucky but they don't seem to do anything besides run away like a bunch of rowdy teenagers.

What the FB does is it runs around the entire cavern, killing everything that shows up and breathing lots and lots of fire everywhere. I don't know if our dwarves could've taken it on but considering that it breathes fire I wasn't willing to risk it.

So there you go, that's my turn. Good luck, Meph.

Save is here.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:40 pm »

Cool. I should be able to get started on this tomorrow.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:08 pm »

So what I was trying to do with 4maskwolf's death was to muddy up some tiles in the lake biome to see if we could plant some different crops, like an aboveground cloth plant. So I built a pump and since I knew 4maskwolf wasn't doing anything since he was mayor I had him operate it. Screw pumps pump out a lot of water, you see.

And unfortunately, it didn't even work. The farm plot I put down there couldn't grow anything.

Yeah, aboveground farms are a bit screwball.  That's why you have those weird farming pits north of the creek; that's how I could get them to behave right.

I'm convinced that the necromancers are just playing pranks on us now. Like the DF equivalent of doorbell ditching. Maybe I'm lucky but they don't seem to do anything besides run away like a bunch of rowdy teenagers.

Pretty much.  My group didn't bring any beasts and I only think animated the camel because they were bored.

What the FB does is it runs around the entire cavern, killing everything that shows up and breathing lots and lots of fire everywhere. I don't know if our dwarves could've taken it on but considering that it breathes fire I wasn't willing to risk it.

Aren't you glad that bridge exists and is walled off?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »

I laughed at the mafia baby incident. Also, another artist impression of our latest foe:

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:46 pm »

Aren't you glad that bridge exists and is walled off?

Yes, I am. That was excellent foresight on your part. It's a retractable bridge and not a drawbridge though, so flying FBs from that particular cavern layer could fly into the fortress, if I hadn't entirely walled off the entrance.

I laughed at the mafia baby incident. Also, another artist impression of our latest foe:

Bravo.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36