Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60735 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Day 2 - Mafia unleashes WMD - Weapon of Mass Dromedary
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2014, 04:20:16 pm »

Posting on Internet forums?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2014, 04:51:34 pm »

Not even military skills?
Not even conversational skills? Or crap like accounting?

...If I don't have a dwarf, can I take him?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »

No, nothing. His skill page was completely blank.

But you've already been dwarfed. You're a cheesemaker, I think, but you can be the forty-four year old bum if you really want.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »

And that peasant that came in the migrant wave had no skills whatsoever. The interesting thing is that he's forty-four years old. What have you been doing with your life?
I found two people who were the first of our kind in the first migrant wave. They were Great in....non-complimentary skills, but both were extremely suitable candidates for our military: Spear and Sword.

Anyway.
It is quite possible to have no relations in your dwarf...if they're the first of your kind. Total recluse. xD
...le sigh anyway. Wishing you well Jim.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Let someone else be a bum, I like cheesemakers.
The Derail Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »

I'm thinking I may know what to do with my turn when it comes...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »

My username is not a misspelling, Jim.

Nice to see I survived my first fight though.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2014, 01:34:24 am »

Jim, before you go on, I feel like I should warn you ahead of a really slight error in our fortress construction.

Picdump in spoilers.

...Well..subjective error anyway. >_> I don't know. I'm new to this and I just want to help...
Spoiler: Aftermath result (click to show/hide)

Details inside. It'd spoil much fun though but...yeah, anyway. Just thought it'd...help.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:41:44 am by Tiruin »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:22 am »

*TheDarkStar gives his bah post*

Bah. I blame Jim.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2014, 01:19:09 am »

FINALLY. ONLY AFTER TWO WEEKS *of bad net*.
* Tiruin glares at fear of judgement and all other intrusive thoughts. HAH.
Also thanks Jim for that PM. ♥ (yeah...two weeks. I know. Blame my net. -.- and me. Then throw me into a magma pit.)

Also image/text dump because I can finally let this go. YES!

Note ahead: if my save is used--there was no siege whatsoever -.- So it's a double-edged sword of joy.
I'm happy because I managed to finish the defense outline...way before Autumn ends.
I'm sad because GRAH WHY CAN'T I SEE IT BE TESTED :I
The GOblin siege didn't come during my turn. For some reason :(
Spoiler: Fortress Overview (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fortress Design (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: End note (click to show/hide)

All in all, we've only lost Persus, 2 children (grr water pathing) to starting year hazards (ie That Camel).
First FB: No losses. This was where the 'Axe to the neck' by my dwarf-person occurred (this was the first FB in the fight earlier, against another FB)
Second FB: That's where we discovered a structural flaw (in a spoiler above in my post)--lost 1 Hauler. Saved by Captain of the Guard w/ Silver whip.
Third FB: Cavern Ambush. Lost a Farmer, Fisherdwarf and a Hauler. Sent military in. Marksdwarves engaged first--awesome hit-and-run AI scripting ensured. Then it ended with the next axedwarf squad rushing in. No hits from the FB (this one was deadly :S), and axe to neck.

Edit: Knew I was missing something.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:23:29 am by Tiruin »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2014, 08:41:27 am »

When I get my laptop working again, I want to download that save, that looks really awesome.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2014, 11:24:42 am »

I'm loving the deadchat commentary, that was a a great idea.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

In dead chat....

"Jim!" Tiruin shouted, "You need to wall off the primary staircase or else evil monsters will fly through it!"

1st of Hematite, 127

I had a strange hunch about something. Like somebody was telling me to do something. Somebody from the beyond.

I found Persus. "Hey, you know our staircase?"

"Yeah."

"The one that opens into the cavern?"

"Yeah."

"Can you seal that off so that evil monsters can't fly through it?"

"Yeah."

Later in the day I made a vast restructuring of the labors all our dwarves worked. I posted it in the dining hall.

"Ah, no!" 4maskwolf groaned. "I hate meeting with citizens! That's why I mine all day!"

"I'm a cheesemaker, not a miller, planter, lye maker, soap maker, dyer, thresher, spinner, beekeeper, milker, butcher, tanner, potash maker, lye maker, brewer, cook, or a shearer!" mastahcheese proclaimed.

"I say we strike!"

"Yeah!"

"Hey, now." I said. "I'm just the fortress overseer. If you have a problem with your current labor situation, I suggest you take it up with the mayor, who now has time enough to meet with his citizens. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...." I laughed as I left the dining room.

2nd of Hematite, 127

"Necromancers!" A dwarf came in running through the gates. "The necromancers are back!"

All dwarves were ordered immediately underground, and the gates were closed. Those who were left outside would be on their own.

After a tense day as our soldiers watched the gate, no corpses rose to fight us as undead. It appears the intent of the necromancers was to frighten us. After doing so, it appears they left.

10th of Hematite, 127

Human traders arrived today. I talked with Toaster about what we could sell.

"We have a few stone crafts, meals, elven trade goods from their caravan, and some stone crafts." Toaster said.

"That won't be enough to buy what we need from them." I replied. "What else do we have?"

"I'm not sure I should even suggest it, but," Toaster scratched his temple. "We could try offering them our dirty laundry."

"Our dirty laundry?" I asked. Then I realized. "That's brilliant! Get everybody to bring their old clothes to the depot!"

Toaster sighed and rolled his eyes.

In dead chat....

"They do." The Dark Star said.

"They don't." notquitethere said.

"You're on, buster." The Dark Star said, shaking notquitethere's hand. "You'll be wishing you hadn't made that bet when the humans walk away with a wagon full of old, smelly dwarven laundry."

"We'll see about that."

14th of Hematite, 127

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

15th of Hematite, 127

17th of Hematite, 127

"As mayor, I promise I will ensure that all dwarves have jobs, and that I will continue to listen to your problems." 4maskwolf said, delivering a speech in the dining room.

A scant few dwarves clapped.

I collected the votes. "4maskwolf, 4maskwolf, 4maskwolf, aaaaaand 4maskwolf." I counted. I stood up and offered my hand. "Congratulations, mayor. You've been reelected."

4maskwolf shook my hand.

19th of Hematite, 127

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting." Toaster said, approaching the depot. "I just had to finish up a few things. Let's trade!"

The human traders and Toaster exchanged what they were willing to trade and what they would offer. They were nearing finalizing the deal.

"One thing I don't understand about your offerings," The human trader said, "Is these clothes."

"Ah, yes, these." Toaster said, grabbing a pig tail dress with its end covered in mud, blood, and vomit. "These are the finest in dwarven fashion, the absolute most avant-garde clothing with designs fresh from the mountainhomes."

The human trader looked impressed.

"We're but a small outpost and work is aplenty, so we never get the chance to wear these for ourselves." Toaster said, putting the dress back. "Which is why we're offering them to you. You'll be the talk of the town, no the city, and think of all the high-priced offers you'll get for the height of dwarven fashion."

The human traders conversed amongst themselves briefly, nodding their heads eagerly. They returned to Toaster. "You have a deal."

In dead chat....

"Yes!" The Dark Star cheered.

"Dammit!" notquitethere cursed.

20th of Hematite, 127

"We got some wood, leather, cloth, plants, and seeds." Toaster said.

"Excellent." I said. "That was some nice selling."

22nd of Hematite, 127

The materials we bought from the traders were just what the screaming dwarf asked for. Once he got hold of some leather he began working immediately.

23rd of Hematite, 127

"What do you mean we can't start the clothing industry because we can't plant any of the seeds we got?" I asked a farmer.

"We just can't."

"But we bought ramie and kenaf fiber thread and cloth from the human caravans."

"Yeah, well, we can't grow them."

"That's ridiculous!" I shouted.

"Well, that's how it is."

It seems the fortress won't be able to get hundreds and hundreds of bags along with cheaply produced craft goods in the near future.

25th of Hematite, 127

"Are the troglodytes bothering anybody?" I asked Dorsidwarf.

"Not currently." He replied.

"I'll order some cage traps put at the entrance all the same."

27th of Hematite, 127

"I've done it!" The dwarf shouted.

Cheers erupted around the fortress at the completion of an artifact.

1st of Hematite, 127

It turns out the troglodytes were trouble, after all.

Perhaps one of the dwarves spooked them, or they spooked one of the dwarves, but blood was shed today.

We lost a fisherdwarf and a baby to the troglodytes, and a child has gone missing. I'll have the soldiers look to the river.

Goden Othlestolin was a town Baby!
Tulon Masossibrek was a town Fishery Worker!
Vucar Arzeszuntir was a town Child!

Hopefully the cage traps at the cavern entrance will prevent future tragedies like this from happening.

13th of Hematite, 127

"We need a hospital set up!" mastahcheese told me. "Now!"

"Why?"

"Because there are injured dwarves who need medical treatment." He said. "Like me!"

"Oh?" I said. "And what's your injury?"

He held up his hand, where his fourth finger was swollen. "I broke my finger when those troglodytes showed up and it's been hurting ever since!"

"Fine, I'll set one up now."

"Mom," pisskop ran in. "Migrants are here."

"Mom?" I asked myself in confusion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One particular dwarf caught everybody's attention. A dwarf aged one hundred and twenty-nine walked into the fort, all eyes on him. Whispers filled the crowds assembled to see him. He was Urvad Ardeskogan, one of the first of his kind.

14th of Malachite, 127

"The additional recruits are helpful, but in my opinion, we need more soldiers." Dorsidwarf reported.

"Very well, I'll set up a squad of soldiers who are able with the crossbow."

"Very good."

I am now captain of the Mechanisms of Perplexing, a squadron of marksdwarves.

19th of Malachite, 127

I'm a mother!

I gave birth today. Which is rather confusing since I wasn't aware I was a mother, or that I had a family, but apparently I do. I now have eight children.

Two other dwarves gave birth today.

24th of Malachite, 127

I hunt again!

But I didn't get any kills. Hopefully nobody noticed that I came back empty-handed.

The labors I set up are the labors I use in every fortress. It may not be the most efficient setup but it makes sure that work gets done, even if it isn't high quality work.

I also really wanted some rope reed seeds or some other fiber-producing plants. I wanted to start getting bags going so I can start glassmaking in earnest, but it looks like somebody else will have to do that on their turn.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:06:23 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:20 pm »

The victims of the troglodytes didn't have a role-flip... I'm suspecting there's some role shenanigans at work here.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »

Yeah, we'll go with that, instead of me just forgetting about that.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36