Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60895 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Day 2 - Mafia unleashes WMD - Weapon of Mass Dromedary
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »

27th of Malachite, 127

"Quickly!" Dorsidwarf shouted to his soldiers. "To the caverns!"

I took up my crossbow and joined him. I had no bolts, so hopefully the armored dwarves could take care of the monster before I joined combat.

The monster came thundering up the staircase. We finally caught sight of it.

"Snow?" One of the soldiers asked.

Indeed, snow.

Bazsa was a Forgotten Beast!

The monster exploded in a puff of snow, leaving behind its two tails.

No dwarves were harmed.

3rd of Galena, 127

It seems our encounter with the monster Bazsa was not without repercussions. I'm being told that the soldiers who had contact with the monster were becoming dizzy.

Hopefully nothing more severe occurs.

9th of Galena, 127

Mephansteras came up to me. "One of the metalworkers has taken over the magma forge. He won't let anyone near it."

We'd had similar things happen before. "What's he doing?"

"He doesn't seem like himself. He's muttering in a language I don't know and gathering materials."

"Let him be." I instructed.

1st of Limestone, 127

It is now Autumn. My tenure as fortress overseer is now halfway over.

I expected I would get more done.

I asked Shakerag how the apartments were coming.

"They're coming along slowly."

"Why's that?" I asked. "I thought you'd be done right now."

"Well, it might have something to do with how you ordered more than six hundred rooms to be dug out." Shakerag said. "It takes a while to dig six hundred rooms. And they're never going to be filled!"

"Oh." I said. "Well, keep at it."

Shakerag rolled his eyes, grabbed his pick, and left.

4th of Limestone, 127

After nearly a month of collecting materials, the possessed metalworker begin work.

8th of Limestone, 127

And four days later he completed it.

"Very valuable," Toaster appraised. "Worth sixty thousand."

9th of Limestone, 127

"We've run out of marble blocks." Persus said to me. "Or we will very soon. We won't be able to continue work on expanding the crannog without more marble, and the quarry's empty."

"But the miners are currently occupied digging out the apartments."

Persus shrugged. "Then I guess we'll stop working on the crannog then, unless you want a fortress composed of a various mishmash of stone."

"No, nobody wants that. Aesthetics trump defensibility and functionality any day of the week."

13th of Limestone, 127

The caravan from the mountainhomes arrived. While their supplies would be welcomed, they were met with suspicion as some of our troubles were caused by dwarven infiltrators.

"We have nothing to trade," Toaster said to me.

I rubbed my face. "Let's get some meals going. And let's try the dirty laundry trick again."

"Eventually we're going to be known as the fortress that trades its dirty laundry away." Toaster said. "And then nobody will trade with us."

"Well, we don't have that reputation yet, and we need their stuff."

In dead chat....

"They do." The Dark Star said.

"They don't." notquitethere said.

"You're on, buster." The Dark Star said.

17th of Limestone, 127

"Mayor 4maskwolf," The outpost liaison cheerily greeted.

"Solon Ducimadas," 4maskwolf greeted. "How goes the rest of the world?"

"It's the same as always." The liaison replied. "Shall we get down to business?"

4maskwolf negotiated with the liaison to bring iron, pig iron, and steel bars and other steel production items. In return, the mountainhomes wanted crossbows.

"We'd like to train some more marsdwarves, you see." The liaison explained.

"We'll see if we can accommodate you."

18th of Limestone, 127

"Behold our magnificent dining room." Radio Controlled said dryly.

"It's better than the hole in the dirt we were eating in before." flabort said.

"Yeah, I guess that's true."

5th of Sandstone, 127

More migrants arrived today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The new arrivals with appropriate skills were recruited into our militia.

7th of Sandstone, 127

In a shadowy corner of the fortress at night....

"Pssst." A hooded dwarf whispered, trying to wake up the dwarven caravan leader.

The dwarf trader did not respond.

"PSSSST." The hooded dwarf whispered obnoxiously loud.

"What?" The dwarf trader groaned.

"Perhaps you would like to hear of what I have to say." The hooded dwarf mysteriously said. "And of what our prosperous outpost has to offer for your goods."

"Oh?" The trader asked.

"They intend to trade our dirty laundry in exchange for your valuable materials." The hooded dwarf explained.

"That will simply not do. We did not travel all this way to get piles of items we already have piles of!" The trader exclaimed. "Why would you do this? Would you not benefit from the deception?" the trader asked.

"I will see to it that this fortress is destroyed from the inside by their own incompetence." The hooded dwarf said. "And you will play a part in that."

11th of Sandstone, 127

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting." Toaster said, approaching the depot. "I just had to finish up a few things. Let's trade!"

The dwarven traders and Toaster exchanged what they were willing to trade and what they would offer. They were nearing finalizing the deal.

"One thing I don't understand about your offerings," The dwarf trader said, "Is these clothes."

"Ah, yes, these." Toaster said, grabbing a cave silk robe with its end covered in mud, blood, and vomit. "These are the finest in dwarven fashion, the absolute most avant-garde clothing with designs fresh from the mountainhomes."

The dwarf trader looked unimpressed.

"We're but a small outpost and work is aplenty, so we never get the chance to wear these for ourselves." Toaster said, putting the dress back. "Which is why we're offering them to you. You'll be the talk of the town, no the city, and think of all the high-priced offers you'll get for the height of dwarven fashion."

"We were told you would waste our time trying to sell us dirty laundry." The dwarf trader said. "We considered leaving immediately on hearing it but we thought we might give your outpost a chance. It seems the rumors were true. Maybe next year you won't waste our time."

The dwarves packed their things and left.

"But we need your supplies!" Toaster shouted as they left. "Well, it wasn't bound to work twice."

In dead chat....

"Yes!" notquitethere cheered.

"Dammit!" The Dark Star cursed.

12th of Sandstone, 127

We found the remains of a glassmaker in the cavern below. It seems she was attacked by a cave crocodile.

Tun Vabokothos was a town Glassmaker

The soldiers went down into the cavern, found the offending crocodile, and killed it.

Uthmikkobel was a Cave Crocodile!

18th of Sandstone, 127

"Toaster!" I shouted, stomping towards him. "You sold us out! You told the merchants what we were planning."

"I did not!" Toaster shouted back. "I tried to sell the traders our dirty laundry just like we did with the human traders."

More dwarves gathered at the commotion. "You were the only one I talked to about this." I said. "It had to be you."

"It could've been anybody." Toaster said. "How about the dwarves who brought the goods to the depot? Or anybody who saw that we didn't have anything to trade?"

I turned to the dwarves gathered. "Find whoever sold us out." I said before walking off.

27th of Sandstone, 127

We've had three births over the past week.

We've also had one of our dwarves sink into a depression.

And I've also been told that the cage traps at the caverns have caught a few interesting beasts.

Thankfully, this turn we've had fairly uneventful encounters with the nastier things in DF. Snow FB lol.

Is this depression thing the new melancholy? I've got a couple of stressed dwarves and don't really want to see a tantrum spiral happen.

I should be done with the turn soon.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:05:24 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »

"No, nobody wants that. Aesthetics trump defensibility and functionality any day of the week."
EXACTLY.

Here's an artist's rendition of the snowbeast:

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »

It's... beautiful...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* golfclap
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

"Jim!" Tiruin shouted, "You need to wall off the primary staircase or else evil monsters will fly through it!"

[...]
Persus: "Hey, you know our staircase?"

"Yeah."

"The one that opens into the cavern?"

"Yeah."

"Can you seal that off so that evil monsters can't fly through it?"

"Yeah."
I love you too Jim. XD
You worded my dialogue like...in a tone like one of those introduction characters/helpers. Like Na'vi.

Also you're super lucky to get a FB out of snow ._.
All I faced was...lobsterzilla. Or...giant snake. Bleh.
What killed the snowmonster? A stray bolt or...? Is it a listed kill?

Also ohgods necromancer. At least it wasn't a siege...
I wonder how that'd go though >__> Grr my year sucked. Though...all troglodyte incursions ended in us winning--even civilians could handle them pretty easily. o_O
I love that you've encountered a GCS.
And captured a GCS.

And I liked how you traded off all the dirty laundry :P Best idea to do.
I really like though, how all traders consider the material instead of how worn it is.
"Ehh, it's of dwarven make."

It's nice to see Urvad again. Same stats, I believe?

Thankfully, this turn we've had fairly uneventful encounters with the nastier things in DF. Snow FB lol.

Is this depression thing the new melancholy? I've got a couple of stressed dwarves and don't really want to see a tantrum spiral happen.
Depression is more based on the new thought system Toady churned out to be more affine to the dwarf as an individual. If you'd view their personality traits, there are notices which tend towards or against depression/anger...stuff like that.
Stress takes a long time to occur (but it sucks that it does), however the best counter I've found to it is: MANY HAPPY THINGS.
Also remove those blasted corpses from the hallways or major traffic areas -.-
It's real annoying to see them terrified because of a simple 'AHH DEAD SKELETON'.
...Though in reality, it all makes sense.

...Hilariously, letting a dwarf idle for a whole month doesn't even do anything to affect their stress -_- [I turned off all labors for one person and...nothing. It seems to be more on what they're exposed to given similar trace findings on stressed/non-stressed dwarves]
But more testing is required.

Keep em happy Jim C:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:20:21 pm by Tiruin »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:49 pm »

Clearly what we need is more, better, and more variety of booze.  It fixes everything.

Also, I am best used laundry salesman
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »

Clearly what we need is more, better, and more variety of booze.  It fixes everything.

Also, I am best used laundry salesman
That won't fix it either ._. There are many dwarves who...like exotic drinks.
We need more exposure to happies. Usually, [VERY FINELY MADE ARCHITECTURE] things. Because they can be placed everywhere possible (and we've got gold, so that's a further plot hook).
That, and I've noticed a very common joy being individual bedrooms and personal space. That really brings up the :D

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »

A gold statue for every bedroom!

I've found (in the past) a loaded statue garden leading to the apartment block effective.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:54 pm »

Can I be redwarfed as a miner?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:46 am »

Can I be redwarfed as a miner?
Can I...um, be dwarfed as a soldier?

Since the OP dictates me shame?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:31 am »

EXACTLY.

This is a picture in png format.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of Bazsa the forgotten beast in pixels.  Bazsa is melting. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »

I think there's probably good reasons everyone forgot about Bazsa.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

I think there's probably good reasons everyone forgot about Bazsa.

Creatures made of snow or water must have high charisma scores, if they can survive for centuries despite having exactly one hp.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:43:20 pm by Taupe »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »

Wait a second.

How do we routinely have nothing to trade when we are sitting on a metric shitload of gold?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »

Trade the gold? Are you nuts?

There are so many infinitely producible trade goods that trading a limited material like gold away is completely unnecessary.

I mean, if I had made any amount of prepared meals beforehand, the trading would have gone much differently.

What killed the snowmonster? A stray bolt or...? Is it a listed kill?

Ha ha, bolts.

There are no bolts in my fortress.

A peasant named Lokum Fathcakoth took the kill.

It's nice to see Urvad again. Same stats, I believe?

I think so. Competent Swordsdwarf, and then Great in a few social skills.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36