Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Today I accidentally did some !!Science!! involving ressurecting dorfs...  (Read 4704 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I uh... I swear I didn't mean to do this, but due to a dumb designation while clearing out a cistern, poor Nish Shamelorbam ended up getting killed while cleaning a staircase I had to dig because I forgot to leave an access route elsewhere. I couldn't even try to go back and savescum as I didn't realize they were dead until the "has been missing" message showed up.

I checked the missing units list and did a deathcause, "killed by falling obsidian" or something like that... whoops.

So then I thought "hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I undid all the flags related to that?"

*gui/gm-editor*
*pokes around and untoggles the dead and breathing_trouble flags, sets death cause/id/unconscious to -1*

I didn't see any wounds to clear, but when I backed out of the editor they were standing there, and had all their body parts greyed out, so I did dfusion 3 5 to heal them, which turned everything red, so I did full-heal which brought them back to full health.

Thoughts show no sign of being aware they were dead, but their clothes had already been found and hauled away (dorfs hadn't gotten to the bottom of the staircase with the cistern dig, but they sensed the clothing so they grabbed it before they found the corpse) so they ran to get clothes, I reassigned a bedroom/dining room/office, and everything seemed normal.

Then I was going to clean house some and dump some of the excess stone, worn clothes, and such to atomsmash them.

I was checking through the bodyparts list because I like to keep my goblin/troll/elf/titan/FB corpses displayed around the entrance, right?

Then I see a familiar looking name, which wasn't where the enemy corpse parts show up in the list... and I realize with horror what I had done.

I grabbed a screenshot after autodumping the remains nearby so I could have both in the frame, and thus I give you an image of a dorf standing happily next to their own mangled skeleton:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the one hand, maybe we should leave necromancy to the professionals... on the other hand I wonder if I can clear that they had an artifact mood (made a goat leather shield I think?) and try to get them to make something out of their own skeleton...

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)

You can brutally murder someone, resurrect them, and possibly influence them to mood...but the fell moods require someone living, and I think the other moods require non-sentient creature materials.

There is nothing stopping you from resurrecting the target of a fell mood, however, and giving them their own body as clothing.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm, well damnation, I can't think of an easy way around that without screwing with the ethics as a whole...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a mood modifier that says "recently attended own funeral" but that would be really relevant now...

What if he resurrects as a ghost and starts talking to himself?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Impossible, the ghost unit would be the same as the nonghost unit.

I believe that everything on the (u)nits screen (including dead) is counted as an individual loaded unit. The resurrection was preformed by modifying the status of the ghost so it wasn't a ghost.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Maybe you could have a necromancer raise it and try to capture it so you can put it behind glass in that dwarf's room.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Can you then use DFusion to resurrect the skeleton, and have two of the same dwarf? Could you then kill one again and clone him again, to produce infinite Urists? I need to do some research...

*Baffler looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you then use DFusion to resurrect the skeleton, and have two of the same dwarf? Could you then kill one again and clone him again, to produce infinite Urists? I need to do some research...

Given that Toady made a beeline towards fixing historical figuring duping glitches after 0.40 was released, I feel as if that could potentially destroy your save
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given that Toady made a beeline towards fixing historical figuring duping glitches after 0.40 was released, I feel as if that could potentially destroy your save

Uhhh, didn't I just say...
Impossible, the ghost unit would be the same as the nonghost unit.

I believe that everything on the (u)nits screen (including dead) is counted as an individual loaded unit. The resurrection was preformed by modifying the status of the ghost so it wasn't a ghost.
...yeah, I did.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

My understanding of this that the creature's soul is the creature, and the corpse is treated by the game basically like a severed limb: a completely separate object from the creature itself.

Resetting the flags on the creature poofs a new body into existence without destroying the corpse.  Presumably this process could repeat any number of times (until FPS death).

Now if you can manage to take over this guy in Adventure mode, you can get him to learn the Secrets of Life and Death then animate his own corpse.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: Today I accidentally did some !!Science!! involving ressurecting dorfs...
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a mood modifier that says "recently attended own funeral" but that would be really relevant now..

It would explain why dwarves start at Content when you press 'Strike the Earth'. I mean, digging a fort and digging a coffin are kinda similar, no?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:29 pm »

Now if you can manage to take over this guy in Adventure mode, you can get him to learn the Secrets of Life and Death then animate his own corpse.
Would that edition of the necromancy handbook be called "An Army of Me: how I conquered the world all by myself by Urist McResurrected" or "Me, Myself, and I: a tale of undeath and redeath by Urist The Raised"?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:23:22 pm »

My understanding of this that the creature's soul is the creature, and the corpse is treated by the game basically like a severed limb: a completely separate object from the creature itself.

Resetting the flags on the creature poofs a new body into existence without destroying the corpse.  Presumably this process could repeat any number of times (until FPS death).
This sounds a lot like the Buddhist/Hindu belief of the soul/self/atman and reincarnation. Neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »

Hmmm, I've got a reanimating portion of the biome, I suppose dorfs won't butcher a zombie dorf for parts huh...

Only other option is to fudge it, trigger a fell mood with poor Nish in the room, get them turned into a dorf leather cloak or something, then assign it and the goat leather shield to them and make them part of the military!

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »

That would be correct, except the object has a reference to the creature, I believe only used for thoughts (of other dwarves), for checking burial, and for displaying the owner's name. Objects and creatures are completly different things in the engine, and are not interchangable.
Pages: [1] 2 3