Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41772 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2014, 10:30:40 am »

The attitude is undoubtedly problematic, and everyone should be able to see that. Should the game not be made, then? I think the game has every reason to exist (screw rights, they are unrelated here) if it comments meaningfully or helpfully on the theme. Does simply simulating the murders and making entertainment or an aesthetic (no matter how base) experience out of them constitute a comment? Perhaps, but on what? That we are like this? I can see some value in that, but I also think that the possibly deleterious effects of such unadulterated violence would be avoided very easily through this comment being made in an Onion article. Satire, then, would be the path I'd advocate. This is not satire. It is analogue, a reproduction, and as such does not count as being critical or witty.

I think this game IS satire of a sort. It's taking the idea of unrestrained video game violence to such an extreme and over the top level that it can't do anything BUT be satire. The lack of plot, the victims that do nothing other than scream, and the only drive being 'pure hatred', puts a spotlight on the ridiculousness of computer violence.

You (and others) seem to be thinking very deeply about this, but it comes across as though you (and others) don't think that the creators of the game could have thought as deeply into it or made the game as a mirror to our obsession with violence.

It's like Landover Baptist Church (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/), whilst they've become a bit more jokey recently, they started off with a lot of articles which were just a tinyshade more fundamentalist than most fundamentalist churches, and that starkly highlighted the ridiculousness of that sort of fundamentalism. As with this, a lot of people thought they were playing it straight and really thought that - and they never stated otherwise - as that would suck all the power from it.

Granted, they could be actually playing it straight and just have a really terrible idea for a game, but it seems unlikely.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:04 am »

The difference between Postal 2 and Hatred in a nutshell:

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

So there isn't one.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2014, 11:55:01 am »

Edgebleed Darkscythe would never smoke crack! That's part of the degeneracy of human worms feasting on the world's corpse, living their shallow, sensate lives.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2014, 11:55:59 am »

Edgebleed Darkscythe would never smoke crack! That's part of the degeneracy of human worms feasting on the world's corpse, living their shallow, sensate lives.
I loled
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2014, 11:56:16 am »

So there isn't one.
Postal's edge isn't sharper than Death's scythe, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2014, 01:13:54 pm »

I have noticed neckbeards and fedoras are always too good for drugs and alcohol.  A great mind and a great temple to house it in
Shoes...

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2014, 01:58:11 pm »

Also, on an unrelated note, does anybody else think that he looks like a combination of Nathan Explosion (from Metalocalypse) and Samara (the evil ghost girl from The Ring)

Does that mean hes going to come out of the monitor and murder people that play this game (with the power of metal)?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

HenAi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2014, 03:37:18 pm »

It's interesting how one game that boils down to "humans suck, kill them all" gets a lot of outrage for that fact, while another doesn't.
I guess it's less about the theme as such and more about how it's presented and the presence or absence of anything beyond that basic theme.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

It's interesting how one game that boils down to "humans suck, kill them all" gets a lot of outrage for that fact, while another doesn't.
I guess it's less about the theme as such and more about how it's presented and the presence or absence of anything beyond that basic theme.
thats a 2d platformer with some bullethell?  Also it didnt have you directly killing any civilians as far as I saw.  Also it looked significantly more styled and its concept was peace through fear.  Forgive me for saying, but I think that game is nothing like this one.

Comparing some genetically-altered tentacle baby created to destroy the powerbase of militaries to create peace to walking outside to a completely low-fantasy world to kill passersby?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:43:15 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2014, 12:18:16 am »

What about Destroy All Humans! then? Being an alien and lack of gore and flying body parts justifies it?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2014, 12:30:11 am »

thats a 2d platformer with some bullethell?  Also it didnt have you directly killing any civilians as far as I saw.  Also it looked significantly more styled and its concept was peace through fear.  Forgive me for saying, but I think that game is nothing like this one.

Comparing some genetically-altered tentacle baby created to destroy the powerbase of militaries to create peace to walking outside to a completely low-fantasy world to kill passersby?

I do the same thing all the time in GTA.

To which the response is "That isn't as gory and detailed and doesn't have people screaming and begging and crying

To which my response is "That's the point, it's putting what we do in video games right in your face without any attempt to abstract  it out.  Like, we're not even considering the millions of people we murder in regular non-civilian shooters.  Soldiers cry and beg and scream too when they get shot."

Just so we can get that conversation out of the way right off the bat.
Shoes...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2014, 01:34:25 am »

Doesn't Destroy All Humans get a mention? You know, the game where your main income comes from harvesting human DNA by rectally probing civilians until their heads explode?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2014, 01:55:24 am »

Gooooood times.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2014, 03:03:07 am »

I do the same thing all the time in GTA.

To which the response is "That isn't as gory and detailed and doesn't have people screaming and begging and crying

To which my response is "That's the point, it's putting what we do in video games right in your face without any attempt to abstract  it out.  Like, we're not even considering the millions of people we murder in regular non-civilian shooters.  Soldiers cry and beg and scream too when they get shot."

Just so we can get that conversation out of the way right off the bat.
Yup, as everyone keeps mentioning, it's fine to commit mass slaughter and genocide as long as you don't need to face the reality of what you're doing.

Y'all'd be great drone pilots.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26