Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41716 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2014, 04:09:26 am »

What I mean is everybody was all over that shit.  Personally I found the killing in SKRL a lot more personal and disturbing than what I've seen from this game.
SKRL was meant to be fun.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2014, 05:59:35 am »

Having read the description on their website, I think they realise what they're doing and how ridiculous it is. They're basically playing exactly to the idea of 'mindless violence' that the media accuses video games of being, and just pushing it to such an extreme it becomes a parody of itself.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 06:24:47 am »

This really, REALLY bothers me. This would actually be the first time I wouldnt mind if this thing gets banned.

On the other hand, with stuff like this, it's usually better to just not pay attention to it. I think actually actively speaking out against the game would promote this waste of time, instead of hurting it.

Interestingly, Epic Games asked the Dev to remove their Logo from the Trailer:

http://gamerant.com/hatred-trailer-controversy

I really hope some other Companies follow up, if this pop up on Steam someday, I will be really dissapointed in Valve.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Valve accepts FAR worse crap on Steam nowadays. If this game is actually playable, it will be better than a good chunk of shovelware they accept.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 07:43:08 am »

Does anyone have a bandaid? I just cut myself on this edge.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 08:08:51 am »

Maybe it's a nested image of itself. The CEO got sick of everyone thinking that just because he believes in national pride and racial purity he's some kind of berserk animal, so he went on a pointless, nihilistic crusade to produce a mocking game of what everyone saw him as, but because pointless nihilistic crusades don't accomplish anything the message was entirely lost on the worms that despise him.

See? You can make things interesting if you want them to be interesting.
OMG. I so want a game where you're playing an evil (of course) CEO and trying to dominate the world/kill everyone. Why doesn't this exist already ?

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 08:59:02 am »

This looks solid. Hope they add flamethrowers.
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:47 am »

I frankly don't see the problem here.
In PlagueInc your goal is to kill EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING on the planet.
One survivor left in Greenland: You lose.

This game only sets out to kill at most a couple of thousand people, nowhere near the 7 milliards of PlagueInc.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2014, 09:36:42 am »

I think most people who have a problem with it either have the problem that it's so ungodly edgy that it's sickening or that it's so disturbingly in-your-face with the violence in a way that makes it feel like you might actually be killing real people that it's sickening.

Very few other games show you in your face someone who not only appears sympathetic, but innocent, and then ask you to brutally murder them. With PlagueInc, Pandemic, etc. you're not killing people, you're killing numbers. With GTA and Saint's Row, you're not killing people, you're killing gang members, assholes, and what are essentially farm animals that kind of vaguely act like people sometimes. Hell, even No Russian didn't really have you gunning down people, just swarms of mindless targets running away aimlessly and a handful of security officers who unflinchingly stood there and shot at you until they got gunned down.
Nothing important here, move along.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 09:41:02 am »

In other words, a game where killing people feels bad.

Points for realistic depiction?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:21 am »

I suppose. That does seem to be the entire point.

Doesn't mean I'm going to play it, though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2014, 09:45:34 am »

I think the real issue some have with it is how it is a fantasy.  As a video game (thus a fantasy escape), it tries to help you escape from reality.  All good fantasies try to pull you into the world, by offering something you are interested in and are fairly familiar with.  One aspect of this game is clearly killing those who have slighted you; and watching them beg for their lives or remain snarky and defiant even in the face of clear defeat reflects a 'never going to change' mentality that reeks of absolutist thinking.  The kind of thinking that makes you burn a cat or shoot up a school.

I dont think games only offer that one perspective, but there is a large portion of the adolescent (and even adult) population with hair triggers and underdeveloped mentalities.  Video games are a fairly large part of this; we see plenty of examples of grown children.  This is feeding off of controversy, sure, but imagine instead this is providing a virtual step on the ladder to killer.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:29 am »

Except that lots and lots of scientific studies have shown no causal link between playing violent video games and becoming violent. At best, we can make the assumption that violent people gravitate towards violent activities, but we haven't even found any causality in that direction, either.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:51 am »

In other words, a game where killing people feels bad.

Points for realistic depiction?

It apparently doesn't TRY to make it feel bad. That's the problem.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 10:29:20 am »

That's not a problem...people need to quit being so whiny about this stuff...I have been playing violent video games for YEARS...ever since I was probably 10...15 years later I have yet to commit a single violent crime...or even consider it.

Crazy people are already crazy...video games don't make them crazy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26