Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 437874 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #4605 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:55 am »

...Reread what I typed, please, Andres. At no point did I say that. I'm saying that assuming they can shoot fireballs out of their hands with ease as a typical priest is unjustified. Which is the level of power QuartzMace was specifying. There's a difference between fireball-fingers and automated-pipe-lighting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:46 am »

...Reread what I typed, please, Andres. At no point did I say that. I'm saying that assuming they can shoot fireballs out of their hands with ease as a typical priest is unjustified. Which is the level of power QuartzMace was specifying. There's a difference between fireball-fingers and automated-pipe-lighting.
I'm sorry. What I meant to say was a Quéßärean priest with decent magical ability should be able to do that very easily for a long time. One with little practice could probably do it once or twice without too much difficulty without getting burnt out (no pun intended), but would get burnt out if he continued to do so.

I have not done too much with magic, and so did not want to assume anything since I don't understand every single detail of the system.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:00 am »

Fireballs? You're saying a priest of Fire can't shoot fireballs from their hands? Fireball is pretty much the basic fire spell. I say that assuming they can shoot fireballs is entirely justified. What's automated-pipe-lightning?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:57 am »

...No, no it isn't. The basic fire spell would be lighting a goddamn candle. Or Burning Hands. Not massive explosions of flame and death. So no, a typical priest being able to shoot fireballs out of their hands with ease is not normally justified as an assumption.

And what does it sound like? They light their goddamn pipes without needing to get out the flint and tinder.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: February 16, 2015, 02:18:34 am »

...No, no it isn't. The basic fire spell would be lighting a goddamn candle. Or Burning Hands. Not massive explosions of flame and death. So no, a typical priest being able to shoot fireballs out of their hands with ease is not normally justified as an assumption.
....We clearly have very different definitions about what a fireball is. First of all, I'm saying that Fireball is the basic common fire spell - not cantrip, but that's entirely my fault for not clarifying. Secondly, I'm not talking about massive explosions of flame and death, I'm just talking about a baseball-sized ball of fire.

And what does it sound like? They light their goddamn pipes without needing to get out the flint and tinder.
Sorry, misread that as pipe-lightning as in the electricity bolt thing. I was picturing metal rods and directed electricity and stuff. :P
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: February 16, 2015, 02:22:00 am »

So like a Fire Bolt?

That still seems a bit much for your average priest to do on a whim or at will.

Cantrips are a type/subcategory of spell.

Go look at the DnD spell Fireball, which is probably what QuartzMace is thinking of, as he said fireball, not balls of fire.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: February 16, 2015, 02:28:57 am »

So like a Fire Bolt?
If you're referring to the Skyrim spell, not quite. It doesn't explode like a grenade on contact or anything, it's just a ball of fire.

That still seems a bit much for your average priest to do on a whim or at will.
A kid attending a magic school could probably learn that before it reaches Year 2.

Cantrips are a type/subcategory of spell.
I've always seen cantrips as a kind of "free" spell that don't require any real effort or skill on the part of the user.

as he said fireball, not balls of fire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:34 am »

-snip-

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:49 am »

Burning Hands ain't a level 0 spell, and no, not like the Skyrim spell.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:05 am »

I was referring to your "lighting a candle" spell, not burning hands. Wait, you're trolling me. God damn it, I should've noticed all the clear signs.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: February 16, 2015, 02:41:16 am »

Are you seriously having that conversation? It is completely possible and viable to give your followers magical attunement as a boon for devotion. The more powerful it is supposed to be, the more it costs. It's really that simple.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: February 16, 2015, 02:51:25 am »

I was referring to your "lighting a candle" spell, not burning hands. Wait, you're trolling me. God damn it, I should've noticed all the clear signs.
I was gonna say the same thing, too...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: February 16, 2015, 02:55:00 am »

Maybe we should talk about something else since this conversation clearly isn't good for either of us. How about the Romans? What do you think of them?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #4618 on: February 16, 2015, 03:16:56 am »

I think Andres is assuming the magic in Ye Gods is more powerful than it is...

For example,
Fireballs? You're saying a priest of Fire can't shoot fireballs from their hands? Fireball is pretty much the basic fire spell. I say that assuming they can shoot fireballs is entirely justified. What's automated-pipe-lightning?
This is assuming the magic is fairly powerful. Is a fireball is basic, then what would advanced be? Extremely powerful wizards, able to destroy cities at will? We obviously don't have that, otherwise why would anyone use an army when they could just use one wizard?

I think battle mages would be the advanced ones, simply because if everyone had enough magic to easily throw fireballs everywhere then why would they do things like they do? Why not just use magic for everything?

Also Andres, Yaos used magic did she not? But gods don't have souls, that's pretty much been confirmed. So then why do you think magic requires a soul?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: February 16, 2015, 04:18:30 am »

This is what I imagine fireballs to be. I think Fire priests can at least do that.

Also Andres, Yaos used magic did she not? But gods don't have souls, that's pretty much been confirmed. So then why do you think magic requires a soul?
I don't see what Yaos' magic-use has anything to do with anything. NO. Gods' lack of souls has been stated by Fusil and a couple other gods not on the basis of actually checking for souls, but just on the idea that "gods are so transcendent they don't even need souls". I've confirmed that angels have souls (not just mine and Yaos') and I've also confirmed that other gods have souls as well. At the very, very least Malakath has a soul. I'm even experimenting on it. (Experiments with the soul as the subject, not experimenting to see if I have a soul.) I think magic requires a soul because Fusil did some research and found that magic was powered by the soul. (I thought it was mana at the time.) Then there's the fact that overusing magic results in soul-burnout and I have good reason to think magic comes from the soul.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:22:06 am by Andres »
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 350