Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 435468 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #2355 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:22 pm »

I never said America was wrong to do it. If we hadn't a lot more bad things would have happened. It did kind of get us in the "we must control the other countries and play world police" spirit, though.

Understandable, but pretty much every world power got into this. Remember, America has gone under long periods of isolationism until the World Wars brought us out of it. Being across the ocean from the fight-happy Europeans ended up making them comparatively peaceful.

I just keep in mind that America's history is essentially us being a bunch of dicks.

That is essentially world history, but is kind of singling us out. Are you tryin' to start a fight?

And I say that as an American; I'm just extremely unpatriotic, because in all honesty? America kinda sucks. Not as much as some places; not as much as a lot of places, actually, but 'it's not as bad as it could be' is a terrible excuse.

What are you talking about? America is the best country in literally the history of our world. We are the cutting tip of technology, economics, and just about everything else. Our people are happier, richer, and less starvy to death. Plus, we have guns, which automatically make our country a billion times better.

.....No offense meant to our foreign friends, but as a Gunnut I am legally required to defend my country against my foolish countrymen, or they take away my NRA card. And those things are like 30 bucks.

Communism and Capitalism are both decent systems, and if we could get communism to ever work in a humanitarian way it would be better than Capitalism, even assuming Capitalism is also working at top efficiency. But we're humans, and humans fuck up everything, and Capitalism screwing up isn't as bad as Communism screwing up.

No, it really couldn't. Especially not Stalinist communism. If you look at the places the USSR touched, you can see only pain. East Germany, North Korea, Vietnam, the Baltics, Russia itself....they are in a much worse place because of the USSR. There is no way you can say that, if the Soviets had not fallen, the world would be in a better place.

Even in general, Communism simply doesn't work, as anyone with an economics degree can tell you. You would have to be able to see into the future, be incredibly rich, and have technology more advanced than Star Trech to even be able to consider true communism. 
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 08, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »

What are you talking about? America is the best country in literally the history of our world. We are the cutting tip of technology, economics, and just about everything else. Our people are happier, richer, and less starvy to death. Plus, we have guns, which automatically make our country a billion times better.

.....No offense meant to our foreign friends, but as a Gunnut I am legally required to defend my country against my foolish countrymen, or they take away my NRA card. And those things are like 30 bucks.
Uhhhhhhhh.....
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 08, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »

Uhhhhhhhh.....

Don't worry, Australian, your country is a close second. Right next to everyone else who is reading this and is not American's country. Well, third, right after America's glorious colonies.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #2358 on: December 08, 2014, 11:09:57 pm »

Every time I see the current tick, it makes me think of the song "Terminal March"

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »

I've noticed that we have plenty of well-defined bestiary, but what about plants?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:52 pm »

....indeed.

To say the very least, our infant mortality rate is the highest of all first-world countries.

Like I said; better than a lot of places, but not as good as it could be.

Germany, if I remember right, is gonna have a budget surplus soon.

Japan has better tech than us...

China's economy...

Australia hasn't had a mass shooting in years, if I remember correctly...

Wage discrepancies...police brutality...privatized prison systems and the fucked up way the legal system is/has been being handled(it should have been pretty hard to screw something like that up! We had it pretty good!)...racism/sexism/forgetting about separation of church and state...only first world country to have to fight a civil war for slavery to end...gunboat diplomacy in Japan and assisting the Emperor in regaining power only a few decades after declaring the Monroe Doctrine....

Yeah...America sucks. Not as bad as North Korea or Syria, at the moment, thankfully, in terms of where it is on the 'would I want to live there' scale, and a lot of places are closed to me because I don't speak their language, but hey. If I could speak Swedish, I would totally want to live there. Or maybe just the UK.

(also regarding communism; China tells those economic degree people to suck it, and overbearing capitalism can be just as much a dystopian nightmare as communism. Like I said, we just fail at making things work, when it has to do with large groups of people, and there isn't an enemy to rally against.)

So anyway off the topic of satire and overly serious anti-patriotism, I'm waiting until I Can't Decide will end up being the theme music for the turn.

It probably has been for several already.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: December 08, 2014, 11:25:08 pm »

I'd just like to say that the entire world has plenty of problems. That includes every country, including: America, Sweden, Ireland, the U.K., China, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Haiti, Mexico, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Canada (yes, even Canada(bad gun restrictions for one)), Germany, Norway, Cuba, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Russia, and every other country in the world.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: December 08, 2014, 11:29:13 pm »

Some South African comedian also said that the black-white wealth discrepancy in America is greater than it was in South Africa during Apartheid. Not sure how true that is, though.
Fakedit: Found the link.

I'm personally quite against the idea of patriotism. It always leads to My Country, Right or Wrong eventually.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: December 08, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »

Eh, not really. Patriotism is more like My Country, Right or More Right, Bitches.

What you're talking about is loyalty to a cause or faceless group of people.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: December 08, 2014, 11:38:58 pm »

I've noticed that we have plenty of well-defined bestiary, but what about plants?

Yaos made the bestiary, but nobody really made any interesting plants. Serac made a few, but they are hardly plot-important. Feel free to make one yourself.

To say the very least, our infant mortality rate is the highest of all first-world countries.

Who cares about infant mortality rate? "Oh look Jimmy! The streets in this country are paved with gold!" "Yeah, but their infant mortality rate is slightly higher than ours. Thus our country is somehow better!"

If I would have to guess, I would assume this has to do with a much greater land area and much more rural people. After all, it is hard to get to the hospital just as your water is breaking when the hospital is several hours away.

Germany, if I remember right, is gonna have a budget surplus soon.

Budgets are nothing. Do you know how country budgets really work? We own more of other people's debts then we owe. Not to mention that 32% of our own debt is own by ourselves, so there is that.

Japan has better tech than us...

Really? How so? America has all the best high-tech stuff. It doesn't produce much of it, but it does design it. Do you even know what planet you are on right now?

China's economy...

Is based on what is essentially slave labor, and can't really exist without Americans buying things form them, and probably won't last. Sweatshops do not make for a great economy in the long run.

Australia hasn't had a mass shooting in years, if I remember correctly...

Mass shootings are a bit of a scape goat. Thousands are killed in normal crimes a year, with knives, cars, fists, and anything you can get your hands on. US murder rate is about the same as all the other countries. What is the difference between 20 people getting shot at once and 100 people getting shot over the course of a month in random crimes? Media coverage. Unless you have a reason that makes mass shootings worse than normal murder?

Wage discrepancies

Which no other country has?

police brutality

We know no other country has that one!

privatized prison systems and the fucked up way the legal system is/has been being handled(it should have been pretty hard to screw something like that up! We had it pretty good!)

Don't pretend you know anything about the legal system at all. I have a gut feeling you don't.

racism/sexism/forgetting about separation of church and state

"Forgetting about the separation of Church and State"? How so. I am legitimately baffled.  Sexism/Racism are worse in other places than the US, especially recently. They are just a lot better at hiding it. The fact that America is the most culturally and racially mixed country pretty much ever has given the world its first chance at fighting racism, if anything.

only first world country to have to fight a civil war for slavery to end

That is making a complex issue into a caricature of itself. Do you really think that anyone, on this planet, kissed their wife, hugged their kids, grabbed their rifle and went to the door saying "Goodbye, my beloved family, I am off to fight for slavery! I know we don't own slaves, but that nice rich man does, and what is my life compared to that?". Do remember that these where people, human people, fighting in these wars. No war has ever been fought over a single issue, especially not one like slavery. It was part of it, but not the entire reason. Besides, why did we have slavery? If we are going back that far, it was because Britain wanted money and started the slave trade to get some more from America. In fact, if we look back at history, America had slavery for less time then most other countries did. It only existed for a few hundred years, while it had been legal in Europe for thousands before that.

gunboat diplomacy in Japan and assisting the Emperor in regaining power only a few decades after declaring the Monroe Doctrine....

Literally every country shot someone for money before, if it was powerful during the time that was acceptable. Unless you are saying this makes us better than literally all of Europe? We didn't even really kill anybody there, compared to say, England, which started a war just to sell drugs.

Yeah...America sucks

Even under your own criteria, if you hold any other country to it, America is better.

Or maybe just the UK.

Look at the history of "The English Empire", they did much worse than America ever did. You do realize they just gave up some of their colonies at the end of WWII, right? Ghandi wasn't facing Nazis or anything, he was facing the British. Who then proceeded to mess up and create the Pakistan/India situation. Not to mention South Africa, or going back pre-1900s...

(also regarding communism; China tells those economic degree people to suck it, and overbearing capitalism can be just as much a dystopian nightmare as communism. Like I said, we just fail at making things work, when it has to do with large groups of people, and there isn't an enemy to rally against.)

China isn't a real communist country, in fact, it is only successful because it embraces capitalist ideas. A google search could tell you that. Overbearing capitalism "could" just in the same way an overbearing republic "could" be as bad as a dictatorship. In theory, but in practice it never has been. "Coulds" are pretty stupid like that. And what would having people rally against something help Communism in any way?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:15 pm »

While America did only have slaves for a few hundred years, we've only been around a few hundred years. We were also supporting freedom of "all men", which is already sexist, while we did it. All countries have made mistakes and America has made plenty.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: December 08, 2014, 11:52:49 pm »

While America did only have slaves for a few hundred years, we've only been around a few hundred years. We were also supporting freedom of "all men", which is already sexist, while we did it. All countries have made mistakes and America has made plenty.

Exactly. Wait, how is it sexist? The way it was applied was sexist, but the term "all men" is hardly sexist in itself. It is a well accepted way of saying "humanity".

Of course we made mistakes, it is impossible not to. My main point is that RPG is holding up our country (THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD US USA USA!) to a different standard than the other countries. He is willing to ignore the mistakes of other countries, while acting like ours our worse, even when they are older or lesser in number.

Like he stated he likes the UK better. The UK has had far more recent problems (Or, should I say, "troubles"?), more long term problems (as to be expected on an empire that "the sun never sets on), and is generally worse in much of the criteria that he set forth, yet he still considers it better for some reason. It is a kind of "Anti-patriotism" that seems to be taking hold in America for some reason. I guess some people just think that it is "cool" or "progressive" to hate on America.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 08, 2014, 11:54:14 pm »

The Empire of Mankind is actually kind of utopic compared to many RL countries. The worst thing it had is something close to secret police (the Inquisition) are actually less oppressive than many current RL non-secret police. Speaking of which....

I guess some people just think that it is "cool" or "progressive" to hate on America.
Don't forget fun! ;D

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:28 pm »

Meh, politic debates aren't my thing. My main interest in the differences between countries is which ones have the most beautiful or fun locations to visit.

Can't you guys inspire me with some debates on the best vacation spots instead :P.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 08, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »

No, see, it's cause I'm closer to all the bullshit in America, so it's easier to see.

Yeah, Britain has fucked up, but trying to compare thousands of years of history of existing to hundreds of years is rather stupid. Plus, that was in terms of 'where I would want to live', again. Britain has less wage discrepancy, better healthcare, everyone has (different from place to place so there's a variety) accents I can giggle at like an American.

And yes, I consider dead babies to be somewhat more important in terms of 'things you do not want' as compared to 'not having excess material wealth in the hands of the very few and exceedingly rich'.

And other countries have it(all of the bad shit), but I really really doubt that America is leading the charge to equality.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 350