Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58741 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »

Ari hasn't heard of Narasul before. The elven speakers do recognize that the suffix -ul means "place of" or "home of", assuming that's the same between elves' and dark elves' tongues. Nobody present is sure what Naras is, but one of the knights suggests that maybe it was a warlord who made his home there.
After a quick search confirms there is no evident sentinel, the party sets off for the mentioned village. Arias seems considerably more talkative, now. He whiles away the time you spend walking telling various stories. Most of these are painfully mundane. He does catch your interest at one point by mentioning something he once saw a gnome do with an eggplant. Soon, you're spared from the stories by a humanoid mushroom of sorts stepping into the light. He makes a rasping noise, which Arias appears to understand. After about a minute of them rasping back and forth, he turns to you and says they've decided to allow them to enter. But do be careful. They're keeping a careful eye on you five.

It's a surprisingly lively place; populated by a number of the fungaloid men and some slightly bigger creatures, seeming to be woven out of vines and ivy. The houses seem to be made from what you think is mushroom wood; there's a few massive fungi around, and it's feasible that they could be used for construction. Arias and his knights head for a house themselves. One of the fungaloids come up to you, and begins rasping. After trying to communicate you don't understand their language, you realize that it's trying to form Common words with the rasps. After several repetitions, you think it's offering to lead you to your dorms.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »

"Well, they certainly seem...industrious." Osirio says, generously. He had never quite seen beings like this before, though he recalled seeing the walking cactus-men in his homeland. They were much less friendly, though. Shoot poison spines first, ask questions later.

"How long will we be resting here, Mister Arias?" He said, following the fungaloid to his 'dorm'
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 25, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »

"As long as you need. My knights need a little bit of rest, since you did leave a few wounds, but I'd imagine you're tired after fighting through my home and attempting to take on my bodyguards. The plant-men have let me stayed for upwards of more or less three days before, though they don't tolerate visitors of flesh for much longer than that."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 25, 2015, 01:47:30 pm »

'Fair enough.

Also, I should mention my men managed to capture your servants and bind them. We didn't kill any...but, if you can send a message to the outside world from here, you may want to get someone to free them."
He helpfully suggests.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:29 pm »

"Afraid I can't, really. I'm no mage, and the only way to get news between here and up there is to send someone. The plant-men wouldn't go, I need to stay to guide you, and my bodyguards should probably stay with me. But it's no major issue; some of the others will probably come across them and unbind them. Or failing that, a courier might come in when I don't answer the door."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »

"Ah, well. I shall attend to my my own men now..."

Action: To the mushroom dorms!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 25, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »

Ava was silent as she took in the mushroom people.
 She regarded them without expression, then shrugged and followed the mushman to the dorms.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 25, 2015, 09:50:37 pm »

Ari hasn't heard of Narasul before. The elven speakers do recognize that the suffix -ul means "place of" or "home of", assuming that's the same between elves' and dark elves' tongues. Nobody present is sure what Naras is, but one of the knights suggests that maybe it was a warlord who made his home there.
Undercommon.

Doubting that the mushroom people will tolerate holding Arias at swordpoint, Ithy heads to the dorms with the others.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:13 pm »

"Hm... I've never heard of this sort of thing before..."

TO THE DORMS. Heal self.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:18 am »

Doze off, wondering about that aubergine story and if it's entirely physically possible...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:29 pm »

The party, tired from the journey through the caverns, sets off for their beds, glad to have a chance to rest.
Despite the...unusual materials of the bed (Are those lichen fiber sheets?), it's surprisingly comfortable. That night, however, you're plagued by various nightmares.

Spoiler: Osirio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ava (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ari (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Culpa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Ithy" (click to show/hide)

Despite your troubled dreams, you feel infinitely more experienced upon waking. [3000 EXPERIENCED GAINED!]
Should any ask Arias about this, he would say it's an effect of the spores the mushroom men emit. They use it as a sort of hive mind, but others who breathe it in can sometimes glean useful knowledge. This isn't nearly as effective after the first exposure to it, though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:28:49 am by flameboy99 »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 27, 2015, 12:43:45 am »

"Interesting. I believe my dreams were a warning about the Drow. Purple, and a sense of being watched. I would say perhaps we should be cautious, but that was already quite obvious before these dreams."
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:15 am »

”I… I had a dream that… suggested one should probably not swim in the freezing ice cold water. I think it may have been influenced by Osirio’s dire words of warning regarding hexagonal lakes that did play so upon my mind as I slept, unlike yon story about the aubergine. But I dreamt I died, and this morning awoke feeling full of power and knowledge, having remembered many old tales that I had not heard for… some time. And I felt that the hypnotic terror of my chanting had increased, and become more arcane, more mysterious, more lingering. I feel that I could even stop the flow of blood with a word, or send grown men to sleep, or even cover men with lard. Have any of you ever seen or heard of a strange mask, of blue and lighter blue?”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »

Osrio seems a bit...buoyant. He picks at his breakfast (probably fungus) with great enthusiasm.

"Osirio had a great dream. He was pursued by a loathsome monster, but he slew it with his mighty sword. As it died, I was consumed in triumphant white light. I felt a great pain, but also victory. Osirio always wins, even in his sleep." he brags.

"And I admit, I am stronger as well. I have felt...I have no name for it, but the forces I manipulate are more receptive to me. The power I feel is...quite amazing." He beams.

”Have any of you ever seen or heard of a strange mask, of blue and lighter blue?”

Osirio sprinkled a bit of hot spice from a pouch, on the thing was probably not a quiche.

"The Lords of Aretrian wore masks. There was a mask in my dream too, I think. Hmm."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 27, 2015, 06:39:10 pm »

Ava herself didn't eat much. She preferred meat to fungus, though she did wonder if the flesh of mushroom people counted as meat or not. She guess it depended if they bleed or not. She'd left her scarf pulled down, as if too warm, and was carefully reapplying her warpaint with the aid of the reflection in her knife. The white paint was almost running out, now, and she'd no idea where to get more. Maybe sold by some yapping southerner. She supposed now she was with others, she couldn't just take what she wanted.

She too had had strange dreams. Painful dreams. Normally she dreamed of war, as her god shaped her mind to his own ends, but tonight she'd dreamed of what she pictured desert as - a vast sea of sand, perfectly flat. The heat had cooked it into daggers that had flayed her bare... a ignominious end for one who sought battle. Her unease showed on her face, but she felt too warm to pull her scarf up to hide her features.

Thirst... she'd never really known thirst, being surrounded by water in the northern lands, even if it was frozen. Deserts... she'd have to visit a desert and conquer it. She would of abide worry of a oversized beach.

The figure she'd seen was almost forgotten as sourly she poked at her meal with the knife. The fungus oozed slightly as the monstrous blade pierced it. Avalanche wasn't fussy over a life of necessity, but she'd prefer something redder.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52