Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get the full name of a brook?  (Read 1664 times)

Atala Lesanadisa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to get the full name of a brook?
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »

Greetings, my fellow dwarves!

I have not been playing Dwarf Fortress for quite some time, but have kept reading the development log.  All this talk about a new release finally broke my will and I made the questionable decision to start a new fort.  Good-bye, productivity, for the next couple weeks at least…

So I’ve been carefully preparing for my endeavour for two full days now.  Reading the ancient tomes, tracing the lineages of my dwarves’ civilisation’s rulers, learning the names of the barons and fortresses they command, the names of the lands to where the expedition will be sent.  You know, getting to know where my Seven hail from, what drives them and so forth.

But I digress…

There’s one thing that eludes me.  The site of my new fortress has a brook running through the map, but I can’t find out the full name of it.  The embark screen (see screenshot) shows a horribly mutilated something that’s indecipherable.  I can of course guess what the name is meant to be, but that’s not the same thing.

Is there something in-game that gives me the full name of that brook, instead of ‘Thmblsr th Hry Grps’?  And the Dwarven name as well?  If it is named, the name surely must be stored -somewhere-.  The legends contain all kinds of other geographical entities, but apparently brooks are not among them…

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the full name of a brook?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »

Hmm, your brook seems to be vowel-less. Are you able to switch to Truetype temporarily, with F12? (Or is it F10?) It might give you more of the name. However, I don't think Truetype works if TWBT plugin for DFHack is running.

My guess is... "Thimbleseer the Hoary Grips"  :D

As a side note, that spot is a mountain with no trees or soil, which could prove very difficult. Not saying you can't, just letting you know since you mentioned not having played for a while.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Atala Lesanadisa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:06:51 pm »

Hmm, your brook seems to be vowel-less. Are you able to switch to Truetype temporarily, with F12? (Or is it F10?) It might give you more of the name. However, I don't think Truetype works if TWBT plugin for DFHack is running.

Keybinding menu confirms that’s F12, but that doesn’t do anything.  Forcing [TRUETYPE:YES] has the same result.  As does resizing the window; that sidebar has a fixed size, no matter what I do.  I wonder why there exists a method for mangling brook names in the first place, line-breaking it seems like a much saner choice.  Maybe I’ll file a bug report.

The XML export doesn’t seem to contain the brooks either.  So I guess the only thing left is fire up adventure mode and brave the week-long trek.  But before I do that (I haven’t really played much of adventure mode yet):  Can anyone confirm that one can get the name of a brook, stream, river and so forth when there?

For now I’ll have to stick to your guess. :‌o)

As a side note, that spot is a mountain with no trees or soil, which could prove very difficult. Not saying you can't, just letting you know since you mentioned not having played for a while.

No worries, that’s just one of four biomes that cross at that site.  I’m already there (I always keep a second savegame to keep legends running alongside), it’s a nice and friendly place.  Haven’t done anything else yet than to look around.  Funnily enough, that’s almost (just by a few steps) the point where the embark cursor was placed right after worldgen.  Seems to be a decent enough spot.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »

I've not found a way either... rivers / streams have the same problem and don't seem to show up in the XML export.

Ionizer

• Bay Watcher
  • Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:26:53 am »

With TWBT (and/or the DF Starter Pack), there's a keybinding to zoom that panel with all the text.  I think it might be Ctrl-G and Ctrl-H, but I'm not sure.  Try zooming it in an out until it can fit more characters?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:32 pm »

With TWBT (and/or the DF Starter Pack), there's a keybinding to zoom that panel with all the text.  I think it might be Ctrl-G and Ctrl-H, but I'm not sure.  Try zooming it in an out until it can fit more characters?
No, that only affects the main fortress mode sidebar.

Keybinding menu confirms that’s F12, but that doesn’t do anything.  Forcing [TRUETYPE:YES] has the same result.  As does resizing the window; that sidebar has a fixed size, no matter what I do.  I wonder why there exists a method for mangling brook names in the first place, line-breaking it seems like a much saner choice.  Maybe I’ll file a bug report.
I'm pretty sure that DF intentionally shortens any text (including window titles, dwarf names, and site names) that is too long by removing vowels.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

Keybinding menu confirms that’s F12, but that doesn’t do anything.  Forcing [TRUETYPE:YES] has the same result.

As I said before, it won't work if you have TWBT running through DFHack. If you are using the latest Starter Pack, TWBT is included by default (for whatever reason). The plugin conflicts with Truetype and you won't be able to see the full name of the brook. But that's the price we pay for the new multi-level rendering and object image overrides.

If you really must know what that brook is called, make a copy of DF, remove DFHack from the copy, and then toggle Truetype on.
Then it should result in this.

Spoiler: Sorry for large image (click to show/hide)

No worries, that’s just one of four biomes that cross at that site.

Ah, of course.  :)

Funnily enough, that’s almost (just by a few steps) the point where the embark cursor was placed right after worldgen.  Seems to be a decent enough spot.

I've had the cursor sit right on the perfect spot just after world gen only once before and it was glorious. But that was before Towers were introduced... now, not so much.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:56:01 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
Mister Adams,

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

It's not a TwbT-specific problem (and I'm not sure if TwbT is enabled in the original screenshot) - the problem is that Truetype only works when PRINT_MODE is set to 2D in init.txt.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »

It's not a TwbT-specific problem (and I'm not sure if TwbT is enabled in the original screenshot) - the problem is that Truetype only works when PRINT_MODE is set to 2D in init.txt.

Right, okay, cause TWBT uses Standard, is it? So, instead of removing DFHack and/or TWBT, just change the Print Mode temporarily?

Mister Adams,

Atala Lesanadisa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:21:34 pm »

No, I’m running vanilla DF without any mods or hacks or whatever (not counting Dwarf Therapist).  But I’ll try it with 2D PRINT_MODE, I think I have set it to something different, so that’d explain why F12 didn’t do anything.  With that other screenshot at least I now know what Truetype mode is supposed to look like. :‌o)

Atala Lesanadisa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »

PRINT_MODE:2D and then F12 did the trick—the mystery is solved!

Only one out of four correct, not the luckiest guess, apparently… ;‌o)

So Thimblesour the Hairy Grapes it is.  Now that I’m typing it, the name is rather fitting.  The place is an expansive plateau at the foot of the Point of Seers, which is covered in cottonweed from the mountain biome and further down with grapevines from the swamp biome.  All that research that I’ve done while waiting for the XML dump apparently paid off:  Now that I know what a meadow of cottongrass looks like, spring beneath the Point of Seers suddenly becomes much more vivid:

Maybe I spend too much time fretting over all this nonimportant stuff, but it’s those little details keep me coming back for more. :‌o)

Thanks so much to all of you for your help!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:48 pm »

No, that only affects the main fortress mode sidebar.

Don't confuse people. If you change text tile size when using twbt it affects everything except main adventure mode and fortress mode maps.