Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27735 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2014, 08:44:42 pm »

I would say we should focus on guerrilla warfare, its cheaper, requires less massive equipment, and aslong as we dont attack anyone first...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »

Problem is that we have no offensive capability at all, which mostly renders that inert. I'd prefer a far more... aggressive and conventional doctrine.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2014, 08:54:47 pm »

I would say we should focus on guerrilla warfare, its cheaper, requires less massive equipment, and aslong as we dont attack anyone first...

If we keep light then yes a good guirilla force would be very attainable.

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

What is the MPODS anyways..?

I've added my name to the following propositions: 1,3,5, and 8.

Problem is that we have no offensive capability at all, which mostly renders that inert. I'd prefer a far more... aggressive and conventional doctrine.

We need a basic fighting force first and i think a quickly mobilized guerrilla force who's armament let it stay lightning quick is the best way. Later we iron out the last kinks and start thinking about heavier weapons like Helicopters, Tanks, and Artillery.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »

Yeah... You realise that means we're virtually surrendering our factories and population centres to the enemy? Because without either of those, we have basically lost.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2014, 09:26:11 pm »

Point taken. Maybe we could create vast mine fields? We should also employ scorch earth tactics where possible.

Btw GM when is it that our creations will be tried and tested against an enemy?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2014, 09:28:01 pm »

When we get a war :P

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »

When we get a war Excuse me i want to be a smart ass and i'd like to say...

Shush.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #322 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »

I'm with Taricus on this. You don't really plan to fight a guerrilla war, normally you're forced to employ those kinds of methods because you can't field a conventional army. It doesn't mean we can't use hit-and-run tactics to slow down land invaders though.

here you go ok, maybe it isn't found there.

Oh well.  It is a MANPAD, but with potential for different types of ammo.  Like artillery ammo.  We could make it into an AT bazooka, what ever.
Because MPODS isn't the name of an actual thing. >_>

Okay, that's all you had to say. "Ordnance Delivery System" is totally ambiguous and could've meant anything.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 15, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »

^^Generally its a good idea for them not to, but yeah of course they support the infantry with their guns while they're unloading but if there's any kind of AT cover up, they probably won't stick around too long. Otherwise yeah mobile cover. Pretty sweet.

Yah, if you arent gonna use the APC to support the troops with their guns and/or missiles, why do you have them?
Well, currently we have two kinds of carriers: APCs and IFVs. One has a little baby machine gun and the other has a cannon. The first kind is gonna cover the inf as they unload and then (depending on the kind of heat that's on) probably pull back a bit to stay safe, the latter has a bit more armor and a cannon and is definitely gonna be out there fighting with the frontliners since he's got the ability to stonewall hostile shock troops and outright bust enemy light armor.
Also you won't use IFVs or APCs for general mobilization. Moreover if your doctrine is to unload IFV/APCs and stick these vehicles in the heat, you are in deep trouble - you need their mobility for reinforcements.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »

The MPODS was an idea of mine, based on the thought process of "hmm, a Javelin is essentially a tube that you shoot small missiles out of, as is the Grom (Polish MANPADS), as is (not really) a mortar. Why not combine them?". Ordnance Delivery System is really ambiguous, but the weapon was meant to be versatile, usable as an AT weapon, a MANPADS, and as an anti-infantry weapon, so I couldn't think of anything more specific, plus it sounds good. I though we should have something Javelin-esque so we could spend less on dedicated AT and AA weapons, as I think the Javelin can be used as both. The mortar part was mostly thrown in because why not.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:31 am »

The MPODS was an idea of mine, based on the thought process of "hmm, a Javelin is essentially a tube that you shoot small missiles out of, as is the Grom (Polish MANPADS), as is (not really) a mortar. Why not combine them?". Ordnance Delivery System is really ambiguous, but the weapon was meant to be versatile, usable as an AT weapon, a MANPADS, and as an anti-infantry weapon, so I couldn't think of anything more specific, plus it sounds good. I though we should have something Javelin-esque so we could spend less on dedicated AT and AA weapons, as I think the Javelin can be used as both. The mortar part was mostly thrown in because why not.
The problem for Javelins and MANPADS is that in a field situation it will be impractical for a pair of soldiers to carry more than 1 or 2 rounds of ammo. As the rockets for Anti-Air and Anti-Armor are very different, flexibility on the field will be very limited anyway.

In fact a 105mm man-portable gun would be more practical.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2014, 02:33:38 am »

The ammo carrying question is the biggest problem. If I'm not wrong that was the main reason grenades like the stick grenade went out of use. Why do we use MANPADS in general then? The answer, I think, is that if we give each squad of ten men one weapon with one AT round and one AA round, then that's 100 weapons per infantry battalion of 1000 men, which is more than enough (hopefully) to wipe out a tank battalion of say 40 tanks, and if that whole company can take down a helicopter gunship, it's worth it. Why would a 105mm gun be more practical? The ammo difference is also a problem, but we could try to design a rocket that would be passable for both uses.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:37:01 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2014, 03:50:18 am »

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

120 mm tank gun

Work on the 120 mm tank gun proceeds well, and it is soon finished. Our engineers even find some time to optimize it and develop a basic ammo round.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jazz Manpad

Despite the simplicity of the tast, the engineering team is having significant trouble with the MANPAD. An alternative choice of propellant has resulted in a missile which leaves a large smoke trail, and low thrust output make the missile unstable in conditions with mild to heavy wind.

Bullpup rifle

Flaws eliminated

Railgun

The railgun works, but has several flaws. It's power drain is significant, and it's barrels have a tendency to wear rapidly.

The government informs you of the fact that you're not the department of education, and that your current training facilities should be sufficient. However, it is willing to re-organize some departments, giving you more personnel in exchange for more competent ones. (Ie; 3 novice for 2 adepts).

The government manages to find 50 SA-2 Guideline systems for cheap.

Spoiler: Our Glorious Military (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

((Note: Questions better asked in PM's. I often skim part of the thread, so might miss them.))
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:19:55 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:07 am »

Did we got the infantry equipment factory?
And you omitted cost of the manpad

1) Design a standard military rechargeable battery. Not heavier than 0.5kg. Meant to be use as a single cell or as a part of system that has hundreds of those
That is something we need for drones, for non-nuclear sub, for infantry use, for railguns

2) Using achieved experience, design a smaller railgun weighting 2 tons and having 60mm caliber.

A. Include Jazz manpads in infantry kit equipment production. It is meant to have one such manpad per ten soldiers

B Build 5 shoreline defense railguns. Mainly to get experience in construction of those and use field data to improve the next design
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2014, 04:20:34 am »

Did we got the infantry equipment factory?
And you omitted cost of the manpad
Only 2 votes for that.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29