Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27692 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2014, 04:27:22 am »

Proposal 3: Hammer out the flaws of the Badger Tank, possibly extending the length of the design by 1-2 metres to enable the use of bulkier but lighter materials and equipment.

Proposal 4: Work out the fragility flaw in the light armour, while that flaw exists the armour design itself isn't of much use.

Proposal 5: Start work on an armoured truck, that weighs around 15 tons, can carry around ten men in addition to the crew and has enough protecton from mines that ensures that if it hits one, the crew and passengers aren't badly injured.

Proposal 6: Develop a DE-based active protection system. Utilising an onboard computer, and several emitters located around the hull to provide hemispherical or near-total protection from most missiles and projectiles.

Proposal A: Build a small-arms factory for the production of the Orea Rifle and the Cykanus Pistol
Spoiler: Proposals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cannon Votes (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2014, 04:31:13 am »

On a side note, people also forgot to vote for the traits for last turn's pistol.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:47 am »

Actually, we didn't Give me a moment to dig those up for you though.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:33 am »

Spoiler: Pistol (click to show/hide)
Here's the pistol votes Ebbor.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2014, 09:19:51 am »

Again you guys seem to jump us between "Incredibly poor" and "Rich enough for Nukes and Drones"

Seeing as our army is the biggest part of our military, why not focus on them? Seeing as there is only one real naval power we are up against, developing the railgun seem like a waste.

Seeing as the only weapon we can grantee our enemy has is infantry, it makes since to upgrade our anti-infantry capabilities first.

Proposal 7: A full-sniper rifle made to take out infantry from a much greater distance than our short-range assault rifle. Caliber and design can be debated, I suggest an M700 based system with .300 Winchester Maginum but am willing to bend on this point.

Proposal 8: A universal machine gun that can be used as a SAW, to hold positions and trenches, and to be put on vehicals. It is early in the morning, so the entire design is debatable.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2014, 09:41:29 am »

I'd suggest not building MANPADS. With those flaws UR the gun crews will be spotted and shelled instantly because.of the smoke trail and a weapon that can only be used in good weather isn't much use either.
What will you do if it's windy? Ask the enemy to come back next week?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2014, 10:26:12 am »

If the weather is shit the enemy won't be flying in the first place. >_> The smoke trail is a big problem. It should be an easy problem to fix though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:29:05 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2014, 10:28:26 am »

A bit of wind ain't gonna stop a chopper it'd need to be really bad for that. But it will render the MANPAD useless.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2014, 10:30:18 am »

Right. If it can't handle even mild wind it won't work well at all at higher altitudes.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2014, 10:32:13 am »

Hence why I said not to build it. The fragility weakness makes it pointless until it's solved.
Caine's law.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:27 am »

Hence why I said not to build it. The fragility weakness makes it pointless until it's solved.
Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Proposal 9: Eliminate MPODS flaws.

E:
The MPODS was an idea of mine, based on the thought process of "hmm, a Javelin is essentially a tube that you shoot small missiles out of, as is the Grom (Polish MANPADS), as is (not really) a mortar. Why not combine them?". Ordnance Delivery System is really ambiguous, but the weapon was meant to be versatile, usable as an AT weapon, a MANPADS, and as an anti-infantry weapon, so I couldn't think of anything more specific, plus it sounds good. I though we should have something Javelin-esque so we could spend less on dedicated AT and AA weapons, as I think the Javelin can be used as both. The mortar part was mostly thrown in because why not.
ATM it's only AA capable. A universal launcher would be amazing though, since we'd only need one unit for two kinds of rockets. Versatility FTW.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:39:22 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:06 am »

Sorry. I can never tell on a PC.
Caine's law.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2014, 11:20:45 am »

Proposal 10. (MEDIUM) Design a turbo-prop trainer aircraft capable of carrying bombs (and bomb racks), drop tanks, unguided rockets and missiles on it's 6 underwing and single underfusselage hardpoints (~2000kg), armed with 6x50.cal MGs or 2x20mm revolver cannons in the wing roots. This aircraft is to be usable in both training and CAS roles.

The reasoning is this - if the enemy has mostly ground forces and infantry we can make short work of them with these cheap airplanes.

Proposal 10. (LARGE) Advanced trainer/light fighter. The airplane is to be capable of low supersonic airspeeds (~1.4 Mach). It is to be equipped with state of the art glass cockpit and radar array. The MTOW is to be ~11t, ~4.5t empty weight, ~3t ordnance capacity, engines in 28kN class. 2 wingtip missile rails, 4 underwing hardpoints (2 central plumbed), one centerline hardpoint (plumbed). Armed with 2x20mm revolver cannons in the nose. (Based upon the F-5 Tiger).

Reasoning: A cheap (for a jet) fighter capable of beyond the visual range interception may be used as a lead-in trainer for any more advanced designs and as a stop-gap/supplemental fighter. Capable of both air interception and bombing missions it could become the staple of our air forces.
As to the price and equipment - the airframe is the highest part of unit cost, next usually come the engines, then the electronics - so having a cheap airframe with great electronics is feasible.

Proposal D. Start production of the rifle and pistol.
Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:50:46 am by akkudakku »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2014, 11:40:34 am »

I still fail to understand that kind of resistance against using stuff with flaws

Manpads can work rather well in many situations, unless there are enemy ground troops available, giving up a position of a single squad is not a major issue. Even if they are there, mobility can fix that

Armor. It is good at stopping shrapnel. Its flaw is that otherwise wounded may become killed. But it reduces overall number of wounded + killed
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:24 am »

Proposal 10. (MEDIUM) Design a turbo-prop trainer aircraft capable of carrying bombs (and bomb racks), drop tanks, unguided rockets and missiles on it's 6 underwing and single underfusselage hardpoints (~2000kg), armed with 6x50.cal MGs or 2x20mm revolver cannons in the wing roots. This aircraft is to be usable in both training and CAS roles.

The reasoning is this - if the enemy has mostly ground forces and infantry we can make short work of them with these cheap airplanes.

Proposal 10. (LARGE) Advanced trainer/light fighter. The airplane is to be capable of low supersonic airspeeds (~1.4 Mach). It is to be equipped with state of the art glass cockpit and radar array. The MTOW is to be ~11t, ~4.5t empty weight, ~3t ordnance capacity, engines in 28kN class. 2 wingtip missile rails, 4 underwing hardpoints (2 central plumbed), one centerline hardpoint. Armed with 2x20mm revolver cannons in the nose. (Based upon the F-5 Tiger).

Reasoning: A cheap (for a jet) fighter capable of beyond the visual range interception may be used as a lead-in trainer for any more advanced designs and as a stop-gap/supplemental fighter. Capable of both air interception and bombing missions it could become the staple of our air forces.
As to the price and equipment - the airframe is the highest part of unit cost, next usually come the engines, then the electronics - so having a cheap airframe with great electronics is feasible.

Proposal D. Start production of the rifle and pistol.
Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

Going to +1 this. Air Power will break up enemy attacks and tear up defensive positions not covered by anti air emplacements or other air support.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29