Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GUITARS: all about that bass  (Read 1887 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: GUITARS: all about that bass
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:23:47 pm »

Learned of this thread just now; I just got my hands on a bass guitar today. Might as well learn how to play it; seeing as I kinda lack any talent in the field. Playing instruments or singing wasn't ever my style, though I do have a good ear for music, and can even isolate instruments from the music I'm listening to. Once I get a good hang of it, I might be able to replicate tunes by ear.

EDIT:
Off the cuff, I just realized how much bass-level parts of music I understand from various genres and such, and given I have a natural knack for mimicry, I might want to try and replicate those tunes. Like I said, all I need is to know the basics (like the difference of sound per-fret and such, and just adapt that to the other strings for application of note (My mimicking skills are kinda similar to how Akinator works. Once it finds it, it knows it; it just needs some basic clues to start.). To play 2 of the same note on 2 different strings might be a neat trick to learn for kicks. Add more duplicates for kicks; especially with 4 fingers/strings. No real point to it, really.), and figure the rest out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:26:44 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »

Learned of this thread just now; I just got my hands on a bass guitar today. Might as well learn how to play it; seeing as I kinda lack any talent in the field. Playing instruments or singing wasn't ever my style, though I do have a good ear for music, and can even isolate instruments from the music I'm listening to. Once I get a good hang of it, I might be able to replicate tunes by ear.

Hurray another armature bassist
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »

EDIT:
Off the cuff, I just realized how much bass-level parts of music I understand from various genres and such, and given I have a natural knack for mimicry, I might want to try and replicate those tunes. Like I said, all I need is to know the basics (like the difference of sound per-fret and such, and just adapt that to the other strings for application of note (My mimicking skills are kinda similar to how Akinator works. Once it finds it, it knows it; it just needs some basic clues to start.). To play 2 of the same note on 2 different strings might be a neat trick to learn for kicks. Add more duplicates for kicks; especially with 4 fingers/strings. No real point to it, really.), and figure the rest out.
Learn your basic scale shapes, chord shapes, your Major keys, and so forth.  Also learn the relationships between the notes on different strings; fifth fret on the lower string is the unison, the note directly above your starting note is a perfect fourth,  second fret on the above string is the perfect fifth, second fret two strings higher (and thus the seventh fret on the string between) is the octave, etc.  And never try to figure everything out on your own; either find a friend who knows what they're doing (preferable) or find a website (less desirable) to learn properly.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:59:58 pm by Remalle »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:44 am »

EDIT:
Learn your basic scale shapes, chord shapes, your Major keys, and so forth.  Also learn the relationships between the notes on different strings; fifth fret on the lower string is the unison, the note directly above your starting note is a perfect fourth,  second fret on the above string is the perfect fifth, second fret two strings higher (and thus the seventh fret on the string between) is the octave, etc.  And never try to figure everything out on your own; either find a friend who knows what they're doing (preferable) or find a website (less desirable) to learn properly.

Stahp, pls. I remember learning that stuff, dumping so many required information all at once just makes it discouraging.

Learn intervals - what they are and the distances between them. This is the first and the most basic thing you absolutely must understand and literally everything else from melody to harmony just flows from the way intervals work, including scale/chord shapes, keys and so on.

And re: friend vs. internet, it's a crapshoot. With Dunning-Kruger et al, you might run into a friend, or an internet person, who misunderstands a concept and just ends up confusing you. I've had an awful Music teacher, for instance, who messed up my understanding of time signatures so badly that it took a lot of figuring out on my own later on.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]