Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GUITARS: all about that bass  (Read 1888 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
GUITARS: all about that bass
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »

Guitar players bring forth your favorite guitar tabs, links to tabs, fun tabs, lessons on learning things

anything and everything that you want to discuss about guitars

this thread is for any type of guitar, I will mainly be posting acoustic guitar and electric bass guitar stuff

and I will start with my favorite tabs

Favorite bass tab as of right now: FUR ELISE though that one song from guardians of the galaxy is pretty fun to play on the bass

Favorite acoustic tab: HALO 1 theme, so awesome and fun to play
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: GUITARS: all about that bass
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:13 pm »

Even though I don't own a guitar.
Even though I know I'd be terrible at the guitar.
Even though I'm mostly tone deaf and have no concept of rythm.
I still enjoy Viking Guitar's University.

And one day I'll buy one anyway and enjoy failing at it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

pshhhh im tone deaf and thought id be terrible and I can play some half decent stuff

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:01:10 pm »

Bassist (bass guitar and double bass) checking in.  Haven't played guitar in forever but I could probably bang out some chords still.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 03:05:37 pm »

learned most of what i know in an acoustic guitar class, i dont remember any chords and can only play the tabs that are single notes. I cant read actual music sheets anymore

But im pretty decent on the bass

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »

Even though I don't own a guitar.
Even though I know I'd be terrible at the guitar.
Even though I'm mostly tone deaf and have no concept of rhythm.

Everyone starts being terrible. Hell, Robert Fripp (whom you should know at least from goddamn Windows' Vista+ sounds, if not his music) started out tone deaf.

Discerning time and tones are something you learn, not something you're born with.

@OP

I kinda burned out on tabs themselves, since they make it veeeery hard for you to keep track of what's going on and teaching you to play at the proper tempo. On the other hand, they are great for learning the fingerings, since you can break it down bit by bit.

But still, as far as most of my playing and learning goes - Rocksmith 2014 (for which we used to have a thread, but by its very nature it burned out) with an assload of DLC made by random internet people for free. Or, for that matter, DLC made by Ubisoft not for free, but it lacks the 'look sir, free crabs!' factor. That thing is freaking awesome. Not flawless, but awesome.

As far as lessons go, Ben Eller's This is Why You Suck at Guitar series is both great for helping you figure out some things you do wrong you wouldn't even notice are wrong, plus is entertaining as hell.

And this little thing is a great introductory course to theory which, contrary to donklords who practice sweeps in their sleep but couldn't sound original if their life depended on it, you DO FUCKING NEED, K?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:55 pm »

I honestly love ultimate guitar tabs. com

but i only like to play songs i already know which means that the tempo doesnt have to be displayed for me to play

heck it only took a couple minutes for me to get the tempo right for ¨Down on the corner- by Credence clearwater revival) and that song is soooooooo much fun to play

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:09 pm »

I did grade 1 guitar then stopped because I'm actually not very good.
Also I think tabs are dumb and hard to read.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 04:03:59 pm »

I prefer tabs over sheet music because they are so much easier up until they do multiple strings at once, though that's not much of a problem 85% of the time with bass guitar

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 01:16:14 pm »

*cough*.  So I bought a guitar.   :P 

Now I need advice.  I've been attempting to learn from Viking University, but I've noticed something critical.  When I play a note, it sounds like a guitar.  When Mr. Viking Guitar plays a note, it sounds metal and awesome.

Doing some research, it sounds like I need a guitar pedal.  I'm fairly clueless on what to look for, and I'd hate to waste a bunch of money on something that doesn't sound right.  Any advice on what I should be looking for before buying a pedal?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »

Now I need advice.  I've been attempting to learn from Viking University, but I've noticed something critical.  When I play a note, it sounds like a guitar.  When Mr. Viking Guitar plays a note, it sounds metal and awesome.

Doing some research, it sounds like I need a guitar pedal.  I'm fairly clueless on what to look for, and I'd hate to waste a bunch of money on something that doesn't sound right.  Any advice on what I should be looking for before buying a pedal?
Sound changes a lot based on the instrument, how it is tuned, your amp (if you are using electric instruments) and its settings, pedals, etc. Even the local weather can affect the sound, due to how the instrument reacts to it, especially the wood and metal parts. Focus on trying to get music out first. Looks for tabs on a music you like that has a somewhat slow part (I learned mostly by playing Iron Man (minus solos) at the beginning) and try it. Matching the speed of the music is irrelevant at first, focus on getting the notes right.

Also electric bass player here. 4-string master race
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 02:33:38 pm »

Nice, always good to see more people getting into that.

For the metal sound, you'll want a high gain distortion pedal, broadly speaking.

But here's the thing, you're far better off NOT getting those while you're learning the ropes. Effects conceal bad sounds, which is fine when you fumble a note on a gig, but it just leads to bad habits while you learn.

Also, depending on your amp, it might have distortion effects built in.

And your guitar should have a little lever/knob kinda thing, it sets which pickups it uses, if you set it to the lowest position (usually rightmost), it will sound a bit harsher.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 02:37:43 pm »

I've got a cheap amp and a semi-cheap guitar

I am mostly focusing on trying to develop my muscle memory at the moment, and am taking it pretty slow.  I just wanted my practice to sound a bit more metal.   :P  I guess maybe I'll just leave it for now.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »

anybody like Led Zeppelin up in here?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »

I've got a cheap amp and a semi-cheap guitar

I am mostly focusing on trying to develop my muscle memory at the moment, and am taking it pretty slow.  I just wanted my practice to sound a bit more metal.   :P  I guess maybe I'll just leave it for now.

OK then, you might as well learn this now, because it's pretty easy as far as techniques go - place the side of your picking hand (right hand, for a right-hand guitar) across the string, next to the bridge, before you pick it. It will give you that slightly muted, thumpy sound, but still sound like a note.
Pages: [1] 2