Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: 13th Age: End of an Era - Chapter 1: The High Druid  (Read 19244 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: 13th Age: End of an Era - Prologue: The Siege of Horizon
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »

The bawdier ballads always came second...

Ey, Captain says!

Captains says-on your feet, you've got a mountain to climb!
No ladders or ropes, son, just be sure to make good time!

Yes sir, double quick, righty-o, let's go, heave ho!
It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day to fly!
Oh my my, it's a wonderful way to die!

Captain says the Orcs have come, they're only a thousand in all!
Here's your sword, and here's your shield-don't worry-they're only ten feet tall!

It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day to die!

Captain says, to your corpse, on your feet-no time to console!
Here's your spear, and here's your helm-you've got first patrol!

It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day to sigh!

Captains wife says, on your feet, my husbands off to tread!
I only nodded, smiled, when she ordered me to bed!

Yes ma'am, double quick, righty-o, let's go, heave ho!
It's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful night to lie!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 03:02:15 pm »

"Now? No lands, good lady. I am long gone from the lands I once called home."

He smiles sadly at the elf, shrugging.

"And I fear I will not be returning for a very long time..."

"Well, you have posed me a riddle. Usually those of your kind must serve, or die-with honor intact. How come you here? You don't strike me as a craven soul." She says carefully. Her eyes are sympathetic...

Katoya is, after all, an outcast herself.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »

The samurai seems upset, almost insulted, for a moment, at her comment. Whether it was the 'your kind' or the 'craven' part is hard to tell. In any case, the moment passes, and a look of regret, shame, and almost longing takes it's place.

"I disgraced my lord and my family grievously. I was to commit ritual suicide, to restore what honor I could to my family, but even this was denied me. I cannot die by my own hand, or by the hands of others when they seek to assist me in ending my own life."

To demonstrate, he draws the shorter of the two blades at his side in one smooth motion, before pressing lightly it to his thumb, and showing the slight trickle of blood it left to Katoya.

Then, with a great deal more violence, he drew it across his throat. Yet...no arterial spray followed the motion. No real spurt of blood, though a slight trickle followed the edge of the weapon Maruko holds at his side, and his neck has a very shallow red line across it, as though he'd been scraped by a house-pet's claw.

"I was exiled, in place of proper means of restoring honor. I am now ronin, through no choice of my own, and can only hope to die in battle in order to regain my honor."

Which meant he'd probably be on the frontlines, and with no real regard for his own life...such warriors could inflict tremendous damage, if they wished. If for a limited time...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 08:24:24 am »

Katoya mused. A man unable to harm himself...she wondered how the Gods could be so cruel. Katoya knew about the code of the samurai-Bushido. Justice, Courage, Mercy, Courtesy, Honesty, Honor, Loyalty and Discipline. It demanded one face death gladly...but, not gently.

"...I am sorry if I offended. I did not know of your...strange ability. The world is stranger than any of us know.

But, I think you must be spared for something greater, Ronin Maruko. Perhaps I might help you find that. And...I might be the one to tell your story."

She wondered...if she took off her glove, and touched him with bare skin...would she see his future? Her power sometimes worked that way. It was why she wore her clothes such as she did, so as not to touch anyone by accident. Too much pain from that. Katoya thought, oddly, that this was the one person in the world who would gladly welcome knowledge of their own impending death.

Later, Katoya chattered with the soldiers, looking for rumors. They seemed a cheerful lot, some consigned to the battle to come, and she remembered to bat her eyes at them now and again. Good to remind me that there was a reason to live, after all.

"So, tell me fellas-whose sitting out the fighting? We need every hand we can get...I know people, though. I can get us more people on the walls, if I know where to look."

Action: Katoya asks around, looking to find if anyone has heard of additional help to be found in the city.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:25:11 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 11:34:15 am »

Alicia listene to the songs, but when no more seemed forthcoming, she slipped out and went out into the empty streets, looking for some kind of library. Books were always soothing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:20 pm »

"That would be...very gracious of you, were you one to do so. But I am not worthy of song; if you are right, perhaps I will be some day. But for the time, I am simply an honorless warrior, cast from his people."

He bows deeply to her, before straightening and sheathing his blade, after cleaning it briefly with a small cloth.

"Now I am afraid I must go; there is much to do, and little time in which to do. My humble thanks for the honor of your aquaintance."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »

"One thing I think the recruits could benefit from, if I may suggest it?"
"Sure thing, let's hear it!" The drill sergeant says, picking up a training sword off the ground and returning it to a barrel.

Maruko bows politely and leaves and making his farewells, headed for the armory and fletchers.
The armory is a large stone building floating on grey, ashen clouds. Brass smokestacks rise from its sides, constantly spewing wisps of smoke. As you enter, you see several different types of weapons hanging from racks all along the walls, and a woman working the forge off to one side. On the opposite side, a gnome stands on a tall stool, bent over an axe on the table in front of him, working on it with many tools, some of which you don't even recognize.
The gnome looks to be too busy to notice you, but the woman working the forge looks up and greats you with a short wave. "Hail, dwarf! What services do you require?"

The bawdier ballads always came second...
[[Roll: CHA + Musician (7) (CRIT FAIL)]]
All the shouting for an encore has really put you on the spot. You try to play, but you lose the notes and the words don't come. The audience looks a little disappointed, but they break out some cheap booze from behind the bar anyway, to keep spirits lightened.

Alicia listene to the songs, but when no more seemed forthcoming, she slipped out and went out into the empty streets, looking for some kind of library. Books were always soothing.
This is Horizon, so of course there are libraries everywhere. You find the biggest one you can; a huge marble tower, with bookshelves packed with books from floor to ceiling. A metal golem with a glowing prism for a head greets you at the door. "{HELLO} {MADAM} {HOW CAN I HELP YOU TODAY?}"

Action: Katoya asks around, looking to find if anyone has heard of additional help to be found in the city.
Just as you exit the inn, you hear Captain Davora yelling to some soldiers as the gate begins to close for the second time today. "You there! What happened?"
"Dunno, sir. He just appeared in a flash of smoke and fire. He's incoherent and barely conscious. Keeps mumbling about 'Her warning.'"
"Keep an eye on him in case he wakes up. I want him guarded, but don't kill him."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »

"Well sir, in my experience you aren't normally fighting one person at a time you know, so, if the recruits were to fight, say, two at a time to start off they would be more prepared wouldn't they?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 09:12:11 pm »

Duncan tidies up, and makes a few small adjustments to the ballistas, until the captain leaves. Once he's out of earshot, Duncan looks out over the walls, into the land beyond, and speaks to Spider, "Would you mind seeing what we're up against?"

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:32 pm »

Maruko bows to the woman, introducing himself briefly, before coming to the heart of his request.
"Do you have a supply of arrows or other instruments I might use? And may I request the use of a sharpening stone with which I might upkeep my weapons? I fear they have been neglected during my travels, for I was ill able to make time for them, much to my dismay and shame."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 01:17:50 am »

Ethnon had never been flashbanged before - the sensation was unpleasant and disorienting, and needed to be cataloged for further reference. On the other hand, it was pleasing to be out here, greatly so at that. She was growing a bit tiresome in Her incessant mothering.

It was fortunate that he had no dreams, otherwise all this would be difficult to process, given its tangential connections with what Ethnon already knows. It would ostensibly not be easy to deliver the warning - She was less than well-liked around these parts. But Ethnon would try Ethnon's best.

Waken. Regardless of what I see, proclaim my message loudly, but calmly.

"She wants to tell you that the demons are not Hers, and that none of this is Her fault. Also, She wants the people of Horizon to not die to the demon known as Skull, and assures everyone that if they were to do so, everyone will die everywhere else as well."

Ethnon supposes that works. The meaning is kept well enough as far as Ethnon is concerned.

Was anyone there to hear it?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:40:30 am by Harry Baldman »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 07:07:01 am »

Alicia nervously looked at the golem. Everything she'd heard about golems was that they were a rope under tension, so to speak... sooner or later, they snapped. Despite that, politeness drilled into her mandated she introduce herself."Er, h-hello. I-I'm Alicia Wyrmsbane." She said, a little self concious about speaking to the construct. "I-I was looking for books on demons. A-and dragons. Dragon descendants."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 08:16:37 am »

Katoya moves over to the mysterious stranger...

"Captain, do you mind if I tend to this man? I am skilled in coaxing truth, and can care for the ill to some extent-perhaps the gentle hand of a woman can rouse him for you, and you need not spare a soldier." she said, being as gracious as she could.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:23 pm »

"Well sir, in my experience you aren't normally fighting one person at a time you know, so, if the recruits were to fight, say, two at a time to start off they would be more prepared wouldn't they?"
The man strokes his chin thoughtfully. "True, true... Well, you heard him! Two to one in a fight! Let's go! Thank you for the advice, sir. What's your name?"

Duncan tidies up, and makes a few small adjustments to the ballistas, until the captain leaves. Once he's out of earshot, Duncan looks out over the walls, into the land beyond, and speaks to Spider, "Would you mind seeing what we're up against?"
Spider clatters at you, saying something about a great evil in the forest that it would rather not be around at the moment.

Maruko bows to the woman, introducing himself briefly, before coming to the heart of his request.
"Do you have a supply of arrows or other instruments I might use? And may I request the use of a sharpening stone with which I might upkeep my weapons? I fear they have been neglected during my travels, for I was ill able to make time for them, much to my dismay and shame."
"There's a sharpening wheel over there," She says, wiping sweat from her brow and gesturing towards a pedal operated sharpening stone in the corner, "And the arrows are in the back. Hughes!"
The gnome snaps to attention and turns around, "Yes, milady?"
"Get into the back room and grab a quiver of arrows for our dwarf friend!"
"Yes, milady! Right away, milady!" and with that, the gnome apparently named Hughes disappears into the back room.

"Captain, do you mind if I tend to this man? I am skilled in coaxing truth, and can care for the ill to some extent-perhaps the gentle hand of a woman can rouse him for you, and you need not spare a soldier." she said, being as gracious as she could.
"You can tend to him, but I'm still keeping one of my men on him. I don't want to take any chances."

Was anyone there to hear it?
You awake to the face of a rather pretty wood elf, who jumps slightly as you loudly proclaim your message in her face. Next to her, a man in silver Imperial armor stands at the ready, hand on the hilt of his sword, ready to draw.

"Er, h-hello. I-I'm Alicia Wyrmsbane." She said, a little self concious about speaking to the construct. "I-I was looking for books on demons. A-and dragons. Dragon descendants."
"{SEARCHING...} {SEVERAL BOOKS FOUND} {PLEASE SELECT FROM} {ON THE ABYSS: A HISTORY} {BESTIARY OF DEMONIC CREATURES} {GREAT DRAGONS OF THE WORLD} {THE WYRM'S ETERNAL STRUGGLE} {A HISTORY OF DRAGON'S BLOOD} {HOW TO KILL A DRAGON: FOR BEGINNERS}..." As it lists, the titles appear suspended inside the prism that is its head.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:50:45 pm by AlleeCat »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

They seemed to be taking it rather well.

"I am glad there are no questions," Ethnon said not untruthfully after a second had passed. "I would now like to attend the nearest outhouse to empty my bowels. Can either of you point me in the right direction?" Ethnon then asked. An offhand reference to bodily functions Ethnon knew to be the best way to make Ethnon seem... how was it that He put it? Familiar? Unsuspected? Probably something along those lines. Ah, legit! That was the word!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22