Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No First Migrants  (Read 2267 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No First Migrants
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 12:57:57 am »

second wave came in.  Went from 16 to *45* dwarves :O :O :O
hamster cheese supplies are low

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:23 am »

second wave came in.  Went from 16 to *45* dwarves :O :O :O

Ah yup, sounds about right. Migrants are now being attracted to your fort due to it's success and wealth. Did you not want that many dwarves? You're gonna end up with a lot more before the year is over if you don't change the pop caps to something you feel is reasonable to deal with.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:03:33 am »

Most dwarf fortresses seem to treat migrants about the same as USA treats mexicans, except DF doesnt get illegal ones sneaking in, alternatively seeing them as cheap labor or freeloading pests
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:02 am »

I've been playing since before Boatmurdered and I always, always set my pop caps to gradually influx immigrants rather than explode with them. It's much more fun to play things out and take your time rather than be on a constant scramble to deal with dozens of new dwarves constantly rushing in. Usually they're set at 20, 50, 100.

I stay 20 cap until I've got a good amount of digging done. Caverns breached, basic militia is up, apartments are dug, food supply is adequate, dining hall is fancy.

I stay at 50 until I've got the noble's quarters hollowed out, nobles are all designated, administrative areas finished (jail, throne room, treasure chambers, graveyard), the food/booze supply is constant, and any major projects are completed or nearing completion. After 50 pop, things get much harder.

I stay at 100 until I'm satisfied that the fort's morale is stable, the militia is functional, and so on. Only rarely does it ever reach this high, usually due to some hilarious unforseen problems like the booze stockpile catching on fire.
Pages: 1 [2]