Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Generating soil and stone  (Read 10433 times)

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Generating soil and stone
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:02:09 am »

Hello to all. I am new on the forums here at Bay12, but I am no stranger to DF.

I must, first and foremost, declare my love of DF, before I then go on to say that, of late, I have been playing the increasingly-popular Gnomoria as an (albeit depressingly, practically story-less simple) alternative to DF for one very simple reason, which forms the main thrust of the question in this post.

I have only the greatest mirth whenever I encounter the vast majority of DF bugs / glitches / unexpected happenings, and no other game boasts the true definition of "fun" that DF has. Without further ado, however, I will explain my absence from playing DF and thereby get down to why I come to these hallowed halls of DF wisdom seeking guidance. Aside from an inability to bake flour into bread, or an intuitive set of keyboard hotkeys, or possibly even a built-in professions manager a la Dwarf Therapist, DF is the undisputed king of complexity, story and immersion, in my opinion. Yet, there is this one small thing which keeps sending me away from my fortresses and is the sole cause of my enjoyment of Gnomoria. However, I was skulking around an IRC chat channel for another game which I enjoy greatly (Minecraft) and, amidst a mutual "DF is great" session within this chat conversation, put forth my one complaint about DF and was told that there were workarounds for it. If this is false hope, I will be devastated, but I could think of no greater place to go than to these very forums for confirmation or denial of what would undoubtedly have me remove every other game from my hard drive and stick to DF for the glory that it is. Herein is the crux of the matter:

In DF, one is utterly unable, it seems, to replace natural stone or soil. This therefore means that the small amount of soil on each map is irreplacable, unrenewable and therefore, in many ways, more valuable than all the gold beneath the earth (which, after all, can be traded for.) Once dug out, only "constructions" can be put there, and soil is never dropped, nor is stone, simply vanishing into the aether... Try as I might, I cannot "generate" earth and so, as battles, redesigns etc. wear on over the years, more and more of the precious surface of the land is churned into useless "constructions" or is outright gone. This applies to natural stone as well. If a single mistake is made when digging out rooms, for example, you are stuck forever with constructed, an thus un-carvable, walls, which look terrible and have lower value. No carvings of plump helmets, no great murals of battles against thieving birds or even of engravers eating cheese - just naff-looking "constructed" walls which, if ever used to fill in a large area, look abysmal, don't behave properly with gravity / cave-ins etc. This means that, over time, a fortress' evolution starts to look utterly awful and many of my fortresses move entirely underground as the eyesore surface world is churned into an unfarmable mass of pits and rises, where projects have been and gone. This is the thing which I was told workarounds existed for. To be able to replace and generate soil, even if expensive or time-consuming, would solve everything. Generating natural stone may be already possible through extremely time-consuming transport of lava and water, perhaps? I was told that a workaround exists to generate the natural layers of stone, though, and I cannot, for the life of me, think how. I even was told that this didn't involve the use of DFHack, which, I was also told, is unable to generate natural stone / soil anyway...

Therefore I come to you, those of greater knowledge than I, to ask how it is that I might do these things. I have played DF on and off for over 6 years and never once have I stumbled across a way to do this. My most beloved fortresses, with long histories and generations of well-loved dwarves, are doomed to look crap as I enlarge, move, change and redesign my fortress. All farming takes place underground from the outset now as it is too depressing to see the amount of above-ground valid terrain dwindle as my experiments in plumbing and trap-making are needlessly permanent.

I thank you in advance for your help. I also apologise if this has been asked before, as I could not find it on the forums or by generic internet search either.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating soil and stone
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:22:56 am »

You can obsidian everything, sure.

But maybe you can just dig your precious rooms somewhere else and transform botched rooms into stockpiles?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:32:45 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:32:27 am »

So... what you're basically saying is... not possible? Can't replace either?

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:10 am »

Also, water passed over constructed wall doesn't make soil floor, right?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:34:57 am »

I think mud does appear over constructions, but I never actually tried.

Also, I realized I misread your post and tried to edit myself out of embarrassment before you reply, sorry.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:40:40 am »

Can lava be moved in any form of bucket so I can make obsidian where I wish? Only ever used pumps...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:45:11 am »

No, I don't think there's a working mechanic for bucketing magma. Also, you need to fill entire tiles with it and then cool it with water. I can't actually help you with planning this. I actually only did obsidian casting once, trying to seal magma tube.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:47:20 am »

Yeah obsidian casting works.

As for soil, you're referring to the above ground top soil? Yeah that might be a nonrenewable resource, unless somebody else with clearer knowledge of soil mechanics can prove otherwise. I don't think creating mud via flooding the tiles above ground can propagate vegetation growth that occurs naturally above ground. But you can still fallback on subterranean vegetation for all your tree growth and pasture needs, or caravans for wood.

Somewhat related, I seem to remember certain threads during 34.11 pointing out it is possible to create sand tiles on maps without sand. You create a paved road, then remove it or something to that matter, and it regens the tile randomly.

EDIT: oh no wait, that is completely wrong information.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102917.0

From the sound of it, technically it might be possible to grow soil if you muddy above ground tiles, build a ceiling over it, wait for underground vegetation to grow and then pave and remove it. But you need soil somewhere else on the map. Needs SCIENCE and testing to prove that though.

Hope this was helpful or informative in some way.

Edit: Bah, ninjaed. You can also use mine carts to dump magma where you need it, but its still a hassle as magma evaporates and is slow moving, so if you want to obsidian cast a rather large area, you need sufficient output volume for your magma. Which might be difficult to achieve with mine carts. Would recommend pump stacks or DFhack to spawn magma.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:06:12 am by Zuglarkun »

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:48:05 am »

Also, if you build walls (ie constructions) with blocks rather than raw stone..it's already smoothed AND can be engraved.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:18 am »

Words.

To be able to replace and generate soil, even if expensive or time-consuming, would solve everything.

More words.

There's an old bug where constructing a floor over SMR (Semi Molten Rock) and then deconstructing the floor would transform the floor from SMR into a random soil type, I've used it to get emergency sand for a mood before but I'm not sure if it's farmable. Also, it might have been fixed in 40.xx- I haven't tried it since the sand-thing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:40:12 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »

I think it's time for some !!SCIENCE!!. I'll try the following and report back:

- Can furrowed earth be made on top of constructions by wetting and drying that stone?

- Can vegetation be grown upon said earth by building a ceiling above that earth, consequently making that earth be treated as "underground" and then opening it up to the sky once it's grown vegetation, then harvesting that vegetation.

- Do the above two hypotheses work using player-cast obsidian?

Estimated time to report: 1 week max.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:04 pm »

Aside from an inability to bake flour into bread

So I'm not crazy! I thought I was doing something wrong and it wasn't working! Wtf is flour for then?

When you cool magma with water it becomes natural obsidian which can be smoothed and engraved. Constructed stuff can't be engraved, not even blocks. Whoever said they can, you're wrong.

It sucks that there's no way to move dirt, maybe that will come in a future version. Maybe a composting system would even let us "generate" new units of soil.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:19 am »

I am not a pro in DF and i play like for a month but:

- baking bread.
Flour is ingredient in making kitchen meals i believe. There are also quirks. Like for example technology and differences between out culture and fantasy culture. You assume bread is widespread thing same as wheat.
Thing is in DF there is no wheat. Sure there is Cave Wheat but no Wheat like our thus no bread. Flour from Cave wheat and Whip Wines is still awesome as single barrel can hold many bags of it and this means ton of food with little space for kitchen purpose. So dwarves make stuff from flour but it is not bread but other stuff to eat like cookie or something.

-Stone and Soil reproduction.

This may sound a bit stupid but DF relies on simulation aspect. Soil is just crushed rock, parts or plants and stuff mixed together over decades upon decades upon decades. So you can't generate or regenerate it in mass scale. DF sure has problem as it doesn't allow to move dirt/sand/clay in rough form to fill holes and stuff as those doesn't leave anything after being mined.

Still there are thing you can do. First water gives you mud. drop water from 1z height and you will have enough mud to grow plants.

Also this mud will be soon covered with grass if you won't do anything with it. So for example you can fill hole with wooden logs (which in df0.4+ are abundant) and drop some water on it and soon you will have nice grass.

Also this is why i am looking for tilesets that don't round corners. Thanks to this most of my 3tile wide walls look like walls (and not some weird 8 thing) and hole fill looks like rock.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 01:02:50 am »

So, this works to make as much soil as you want.

dig out an underground area in stone.
muddy it. (either with a pond designation from above, or pumping water on it, or dfhack liquids, or redirecting a river, or breach an aquifer, whatever)
Breach the caverns.
Wait until anything (of any kind, sparse cave moss, shrubs, saplings) grows on the muddied tiles.
Build a constructed floor over the muddied tiles that have growth. (b-C-f)
Remove the constructed floor tile. (d-n)
You will now have "Furrowed soil" (clay, loam, etc) wherever you removed the floor tile.
Eventually the "furrowed" soil will simply become "soil Cavern Floor" (clay, loam, etc)

I just verified this works right now in 0.40.12.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 04:29:07 am »

I believe dfhack allows for creation of soil and stone, see the dfhack documentation: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/Readme.rst#map-modification
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite
Pages: [1] 2