Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generating soil and stone  (Read 10432 times)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Generating soil and stone
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 11:18:19 am »

Yeah, if you're just worried about a few little digging mistakes and just want to replace the squares for peace of mind (that's a niggling for me too) just use DFHack. Dwarves should know how to fill a hole with dirt or stone anyway, so I don't see it as cheating. Heck, our family had several 20-30' hills of dirt and huge rock chunks from digging out our house basement and we had no clue what to do with it all, other than using the hills for sledding... so when you dig a hole theres definitely dirt remaining for reuse.  ;)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »

I believe dfhack allows for creation of soil and stone, see the dfhack documentation: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/Readme.rst#map-modification

It does, specifically the "tiletypes" command lets you "paint" soil and stone.  It does have some limitations though -- you can't actually paint soil outside of soil layers.  You actually just tell it to paint a "stone wall" and if you're doing this in a soil layer it makes soil instead.

--nomad_delta

QuickQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:39:02 pm »

Report back:

I can confirm that even in the latest version of DF (at time of writing), it is NOT possible to smooth or engrave constructions, whether those construcitons are built of logs, natural stone or blocks of wood / stone either.

Looks like the only way to get engraved material replaced would be to engineer the combining of water and lava to generate obsidian at the target location and then carve that "natural" obsidian.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »

just pretend that a "plump helmet, cave wheat, elk bird egg and dwarven sugar roast" is dwarven bread. Yeast is a fungus, wheat, egg and some sugar. the rest is water
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]