Poll

Should i start a succession game?

hell yes
- 25 (73.5%)
hell no
- 9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boatmurdered: Can we do it again?  (Read 5848 times)

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
Boatmurdered: Can we do it again?
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:25:47 am »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:20:22 am by bigjaredmonkey »
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered: Can we do it again?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:30:04 am »

I'm pretty sure its still saved in the LP archive thingy somewhere. I am completely sure, however, that its save won't be compatible with the newest version. Although it would be interesting to have a succession/community fort from one of the early versions. This is also not the first time someone has had this idea. I urge you to check out Battlefailed, considered by many to be the spiritual successor to Boatmurdered. Its a good read and I think the latest installment is still running.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »

Multiple levels weren't even in when Boatmurdered sucession was played. You might be able to recreate the map partially, I guess, if only on similar biome/layout. A river and a more or less straight mountain cliff parrallel to it should be doable.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

Why are all the pictures not showing in that battlefailed thread?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »

Back in the 2D versions, there were no worldgen seeds, so it was impossible to generate the same world twice.

Furthermore, terrain generation was not predictable either, so if you embarked multiple times in the same place (using copies of the same save) you'd get different placement of minerals and map features.

There's also the fact that the fortress and government names could not be customized back then, so even if you got a copy of the world immediately after it was generated and embarked in the Smooth Points of Pride, your fortress would not be named Boatmurdered - the fact that the original fortress was named named Boatmurdered was entirely by chance.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:14 pm »

Why are all the pictures not showing in that battlefailed thread?

Picture host went under/user account with picture host timed out/pictures removed to make space/etc.

Four years after play, many user-provided images will have disappeared; you'd need to properly archive the whole thing with the images themselves to keep it in its full glory (and who'd host that?).

A replay of Boatmurdered would have to take place in the old 2D version in which it was created. Some retro-forts in 2D have been made on occasion over the last years, but i think the main draw is not recreating Boatmurdered itself, rather experiencing the old gameplay, which is a very different beast from the 3D versions.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:51:23 pm »

I am a little unsure why you would want to publicly replay boatmurdered.  Part of the roguelike nature of the game is the randomness.

If you want to do a boatmurdered like game you should create a minimal zlevel world (with 1-2cavern layers) and embark on a savage Savannah/hilly spot.  But mind the animal men.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 01:07:07 pm »

Other than boatmurder getting the elephant spawn + madrill spawn there's not much that's even special about the embark is there? All the 2d embarks seem pretty similar in terms of features.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

The glory of Boatmurder is in the community nature of the succession fort, and being one of the earlier succession forts.  It has community involvement and, perhaps most importantly, age, to support it.

There's NOTHING stopping you from making another succession fort in the current version - it's just an issue if it'll become as popular or as maddeningly weird as Boatmurdered.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 01:41:49 pm »

i think we should make a succession game in this version.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 01:43:34 pm »

+1 and try to restrict your playstyle.  A challenge fort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

+1 and try to restrict your playstyle.  A challenge fort.

make the fort very redundant is my idea for the restriction.
and no farming.

EDIT: and make sure it's somewhere labelled "untamed wilds". my fortress currently is being terrorized by peregrine falcon men.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:26:11 pm by bigjaredmonkey »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »

I'd love to participate in a succession game for the current version.

Boatmurdered was awesome, but I don't see the point of trying to recreate it. So much of the awesomeness of a succession fort comes from dealing with the unexpected.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

well, now i just want to start a succession game with as much hilarity as possible.
having another project: fuck the world is optional.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:23 pm »

I really think Boatmurdered is to DF what Nirvana was to good music ;) It hit at just the right time, and did all the right things.. Today it isn't much, but when it happened it was it :> I only wish I was present when it was active, to wake up each day and run to Bay12 for the next update..

I think Boatmurdered itself set the bar pretty high, as Girlinhat said, with community togetherness combined with some of the most interesting tragedies DF can manage, all rolled into one near-perfect experience :> It desensitized us all!!
Pages: [1] 2 3