Poll

Should i start a succession game?

hell yes
- 25 (73.5%)
hell no
- 9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Boatmurdered: Can we do it again?  (Read 5844 times)

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered: Can we do it again?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 10:51:04 pm »

I just hit the fifteenth yes, so this'll be a go.  :)
great! sadly, it will be postponted until tomorrow, because i need to get some sleep (almost midnight where i am when this was posted)
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 11:55:45 pm »

While he dreams dwarfly dreams I think there should be discussion about genning the world.. Every time I ever considered a community fort the first big snag I'd hit is genning a world.. :|

I personally play..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

.. but that's largely unrelated to a community fort, as most people use bigger landmasses.. I personally enjoy the compact island/region maps the most, and have always dreamed of creating a fort on every open tile for the ultimate adventure-mode map :>

So, on-topic worldgen stuff!
1. Bogeymen on or off? This only concerns the potential adventurers your community fort may draw in with its awesomeness..
2. Caves visible? (to me this one doesn't matter much, got into the habit of using it for adventure-only civilization-less maps during my adventurer craze)
3. Cavern type (flat/open or serpentine)
4. Should any fps-friendly changes be made (lower site population) or any history-clarifying options be used (cull unimportant figures, reduced civilization count, lowered 'max site cap')?
5. Should it be mandatory that there be a living/active site for all civs (elf/gob/kob/dwarf) + a necromancer tower? (all these would need to be in close proximity of each other for them all to visit a fort, another reason I like the smaller map size, and history usually can't run a full 30 years without at least one civ getting obliterated)
6. Once this perfect map is genned, where do you embark?! :> Should the embark size be framerate friendly? Just whether or not to use a totally Good or Evil site is a tough choice.. Gen a world with Good/Evil bordering each other and then get good, evil and natural biomes all in one embark :) Can't forget the potential of jungles, deserts, marshes and tundras, also.. (I hate mountain embarks and refuse to list them, bahahaha!)
7. No aquifer? Freshwater or saltwater? Oceanside embark or no?!
8. Freezing winters or non-freezing winters? Embark by a river or no?
9. Should I breathe into a paper bag if the room is spinni

Okay, #9 wasn't serious, but still! This is why I never attempted a community map.. Seems like there is no right answer, and I wonder if there is a best (or dwarfiest) answer, and even if there was a best (or dorfyest) answer it'd differ so much from person to person that the answer would turn into an opinion :)

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:33 am »

With regard to trying to run an artificially restrictive 2D succession through the current version, one could simply use the last 2D version instead.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Apparently that would be: 0.28.181.40d.

The replay might appear sufficiently bizarre to capture some attention, at least until people figure out what is going on. A few people here still play the old version; but, I suspect, very few.

Even with resort to the modern wiki resources and articles for 2D, which should remove some of the clueless blind man's bluff play-style seen in Boatmurdered, the vastly different mechanics of the older game will really throw most people and ensure sufficient hilarity.

I myself have never played v28 or before.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 12:29:22 am »

I've played v28 a bit, wanting to experience it. Its almost a different game. My main problem was how most any task proceeded ridiculously slowly and got canceled whenever the dwarf got hungry, thirsty, tired or wanted a break. So glad that was changed in later versions.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:29 am »

With regard to trying to run an artificially restrictive 2D succession through the current version, one could simply use the last 2D version instead.

The replay might appear sufficiently bizarre to capture some attention, at least until people figure out what is going on. A few people here still play the old version; but, I suspect, very few.

Even with resort to the modern wiki resources and articles for 2D, which should remove some of the clueless blind man's bluff play-style seen in Boatmurdered, the vastly different mechanics of the older game will really throw most people and ensure sufficient hilarity.

I'd vote against doing a flat map, or old 2D version of Dwarf Fortress. The Z-levels add another whole dimension to the game.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 01:11:33 am »

I would also suggest playing 'properly' - IE make a genuine attempt to make the fort successful with happy dwarves.  To easy? you think?  The difficulty comes from the fact that you only get to control the fort for 1 year, and you have to work out exactly what on earth the previous guys were thinking - that is what makes it hard and fun.  Especially when you load up the save and find this massive half finished construction sitting right where you thought would be the ideal location for a new hospital, and the previous guy thought the best way to set up a magma forge was to pave a thin bridge out to the forge on the top of the volcano magma surface.  Oh - and don't forget the amazing mist generator that someone built, that uses waterfalls rather than just mist, and tends to wash the babies out of mothers arms and drown them.  Working out how to make that safe will give you a challenge for sure.  Or even just logging in to find that someone's idea of farming is plots big enough to fead the entire universe, but nowhere to store the stoopid amount of food at, or barrels to store it in.

In other words, you don't have to make deliberately self destructive rules like 'lets open the circus on the last day of my turn' to re-create the awesome of boatmurdered - you just have to do your best in a fort that someone who thinks totally differently to you has just finished a year in, doing stuff that you would never do, and trying to work out how you will get the fortress back to your idea of working.  And then handing off a fort with an efficient, effective, organized military to the next person, only to discover that instead of simply activating your carefully set up 'red alert', they've mass drafted everyone and told the whole fort to 'kill all' resulting in the death of the fortrsses' only armoursmith, rather than him finishing the work orders for 200 full suits of steel armour.

Well - good luck with you fortress :)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 03:10:24 am »

PTW
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:26 am »

You're looking at the wrong version - the last 2D version was 0.23.130.23a, not 0.28.181.40d. And if you are going to play that version, you're going to want to apply a whole lot of binary patches to fix the rather large amount of bugs that existed in that version.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 07:52:26 am »

i'm back, and i found a location for the fort. untamed wilds next to two goblin fortresses, and no other neighbors. dwarf killing animal men and goblins everywhere at the same time! very !!FUN!!.
also, every noble must be least qualified if it can be player-appointed.
and finally, no farming. ever.
hell, no alcohol.
no alcohol is THE challenge.
even if it is undwarflike.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:24:47 am by bigjaredmonkey »
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 11:25:10 am »

link to the game's edited onto the first post.
Pages: 1 2 [3]