Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190573 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2130 on: November 07, 2014, 11:41:41 am »

No reason God can't 'fuck around' with the zillions of available other locations, planets, &c. We're unlikely to observe it if it's far enough away, and if He decides He doesn't want us to observe it for whatever reason, omnipotence continues to be convenient.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 07, 2014, 11:50:02 am »

I was referring more to how the bible makes claims of god seemingly always having some kind of finger in the pie back in the bronze age, but is far less extant since Jesus and all that shenanigans.
This is a blank sig.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 07, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »

If I was omnipotent and omniscient I certainly wouldn't have created the world like it is.  I wouldn't have ever created creatures that I thought might do something that would make me want to burn them forever.  Heck, I can't imagine I'd ever even set things up so that they could even do bad things.  What's the point?  I can't see an omnibenevolent god doing that either.  Clearly God is lacking one or more of those traits.

The only real explanation for that which I've come across is that God basically defines what those things mean and if we disagree then we're wrong.  It's an appeal to authority and completely useless in a debate since you can't refute it, of course.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 07, 2014, 05:51:25 pm »

It is said that God limits the power of the devil.

The Book of Job makes it clear the the devil cannot do anything without God's explicit permission.

Then saying "God is good! The baddy is Satan!" doesn't really work. In fact, Satan may be seen as an extension, or tool of God. It makes you wonder how God could be so close to something so supposedly evil. Instead of Satan tempting Adam and Eve, one could simplify it to God tempting Adam and Eve.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2134 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:08 pm »

I honestly don't understand how anyone could believe in an omni-benevolent god, even if they hadn't studied the Bible.

I was referring more to how the bible makes claims of god seemingly always having some kind of finger in the pie back in the bronze age, but is far less extant since Jesus and all that shenanigans.
That's pretty much the excuse for it. Jesus' power spreading through the world and all that, restricting the power of Satan to interfere directly... no more big flashy miracles because it's no longer necessary.

So OW do we have the choice to accept god into our lives and rekindle our spirit while our spirit is "dead" and we have no free will?
No. Of course not. Dead people can't make choices. That's pretty much the point of being dead. You can't do anything when you're dead.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 07, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »

That's pretty much the excuse for it. Jesus' power spreading through the world and all that, restricting the power of Satan to interfere directly... no more big flashy miracles because it's no longer necessary.

It's been a long time since I did it, so I can't provide the detailed work, but when you work out the chronology, the "big flashy miracles" of Biblical times were actually quite rare. Outside of the Great Prophets, there'd only be one, maybe two miraculous events within a generation, and those were often quite subtle, involving dreams or apparent coincidence. Offhand, I can't think of any "flashy" miracle that wasn't associated with Abraham, Moses, Elijah, or Jesus. If you believe, as most Christians do, that the time of Prophets ended when the Incarnation fufilled the Old Testament prophecies, then there have been no Great Prophets since the day of Christ. Thus, no flashy miracles.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2136 on: November 07, 2014, 06:11:53 pm »

The purpose of the prophets being to point forward to Christ, so yeah, pretty much the same thing.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 07, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »

I honestly don't understand how anyone could believe in an omni-benevolent god, even if they hadn't studied the Bible.

I absolutely can. I simply refuse said god is omnipotent.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2138 on: November 08, 2014, 05:06:30 am »

That works, too. :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 08, 2014, 07:52:17 am »

Whichever way you look at it, God loses an attribute. See Mackie's Inconsistent Triad, which I'm too lazy to get an image for.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 08, 2014, 12:16:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:50:41 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2141 on: November 08, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »

I have to say, I want a Jesus Rollerblading Christ coffee mug. Those look awesome.

Those comics are pretty funny, as a person to whom the terrible Christianity things do not apply.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 08, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »

Edit: Actually, this one is better.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion
I liked the other one, but this one's rather... crude.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 08, 2014, 02:18:57 pm »

It is?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 08, 2014, 02:19:18 pm »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/rapture

Hehe

Edit: Actually, this one is better.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

That first one is alright, but the second smacks of the kind of arrogant superiority that drove me away from The Oatmeal in the first place. It's not nearly as obnoxious as the people who comment on it nowadays though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 185