Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190522 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2100 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:13 pm »

Ultimately people *do* do whatever they want, all that varies is their internal justifications for doing so.  Those internal justifications are the product of a great many things, many (arguably all) of which are outside their control.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 06, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »

True but it is just another reason that they could

And peoe who believe that please don't take offence, I don't expect you to go and commit atrocities for it but people can use that as an excuse

I was confused for a second and thought you were referring to all the atrocities committed explicitly in the name of Christianity.  Which were logical, merciful acts, under Christian doctrine.  The most merciful act is to convert as many people as possible, even if you have to kill half of them first.  The only reason Christianity as a doctrine co-exists at all nowadays is because it lacks the military support it used to rely on.

Maybe the right religion can scare a murderer out of doing murders.  I don't see how, though.  Christianity teaches that we're all sinners, and none of us can reach heaven unless we become followers of Jesus.  (Because Jesus takes your sin... but only if you join the club).  There's no real reason to stop murdering, you're already "evil" and you already get to go to heaven anyway.

Plus you're expected to rely on faith rather than society (which is supposedly evil just like you).  Reject society, listen to mysterious compulsions, and as long as you're faithful you're definitely going to heaven...  Good recipe for a serial killer, particularly if the person's already sick.

Sure, Christianity points out that murder is bad.  It's right up there with respecting the Sabbath (whether it's Saturday or Sunday).  Some of them are outright impossible:  Don't "covet" your neighbor's house or wife?  How??  (Also, I guess coveting your neighbor's livestock, money, car, or husband is just fine).

Even "Thou shalt not kill" is ridiculous.  Apparently it's a mistranslation and ought to be "murder"...  Yet people faithfully keep using the word "kill" as if it makes any sense.

The ten commandments have three rules which every culture already has: Don't kill without reason, don't steal things, and don't say people did crimes when they didn't.  Cultures don't survive without those rules, even small isolated ones.  Then it mixes those with 7 ancient Israeli values which basically don't apply at all to anyone else.  Except adultery, maybe, though adultery can mean a lot of different things and isn't really important.  Where is "Thou shall not rape?"  I guess God hadn't invented that value yet, or didn't think the desert tribes were ready for women to own their own bodies.

Anyway, Christians take God's name in vain all the time, and adulter, and covet, and steal, so I don't see how faith is stopping them from murdering if they actually wanted to.

Meanwhile, rational people see that committing atrocities is high risk for generally little or no gain.  So they don't.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2102 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »

Or, y'know, people are just using it as an excuse to ignore the whole thing of "Love God and love your neighbour (read: everyone) as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 06, 2014, 06:40:33 pm »

Don't "covet" your neighbor's house or wife?  How??  (Also, I guess coveting your neighbor's livestock, money, car, or husband is just fine).
Isn't livestock specifically mentioned, actually? And kind of property in general. Really mentioning specific things is a bit redundant when you're including everything anyway.
But to stop yourself, I think Streaker J recommended gouging out your eyes. And I suppose if that doesn't work you could perforate your eardrums or sever your spinal cord so as to not get any sense information by which to have a basis for envy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 06, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »

There is techniqaly a no rape rule, it's the don't do adultery. Because raping someone kinda falls under adultery
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 06, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »

There is techniqaly a no rape rule, it's the don't do adultery. Because raping someone kinda falls under adultery
Not necessarily. Only if one party is married to someone who isn't the other.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:48 pm »

That's not what the words mean.  Though actually I think the victim would be "guilty" of adultery, and the perpetrator probably had to pay the family amends for ruining their property.

The Israelites regularly raped their enemies' families in war, right?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 06, 2014, 06:49:34 pm »

I thought the commandment encircled lust as well

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 06, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »

But to stop yourself, I think Streaker J recommended gouging out your eyes. And I suppose if that doesn't work you could perforate your eardrums or sever your spinal cord so as to not get any sense information by which to have a basis for envy.
Matthew did, anyway.* And it was more of a general thing -- better to maim yourself into an insentient blob of flesh than risk hell, was the basic concept. No suicide, though!

I'm not sure how it would work out if you, like, somehow managed to remove your stomach and tongue and whatnot to escape gluttony. Would self-mutilation induced starvation count as suicide? If you strangle yourself to escape a lust/gluttonous feeling for air, would that be suicide or following the text...? And what happens if you bleed out after chopping off your hand, anyway? Passage didn't cover that part, iirc.

And I don't think the commandment did, cryx. There's other condemnations of the lustful outside the 10 Cs, though.

*E: Well, whoever the blazes actually wrote matthew.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:00:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 06, 2014, 07:09:56 pm »

Cryxsis: there is some relevant stuff in Deuteronomy.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:55 pm »

Who decided Man's nature- god, or Man?

Man decides
You can choose to be against your nature but any person that says they don't struggle with sin (anyone this isn't just Christians, and when I say sin I do mean the 10 commandments and such and yes *non Christians struggle with the same stuff) We as humans will always sin on this side of eternity. We have the choice to change but we do it anyways and we know what we do is wrong but we still do it.

So- choice can change the nature of a man. In that case, why haven't you changed yours? Why have you chosen to keep sinning, Cryxis?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:07 pm »

So I take it you think marital rape is OK?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 06, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »

It is said that God limits the power of the devil.

The Book of Job makes it clear the the devil cannot do anything without God's explicit permission.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »

There is technically a no rape rule, it's the don't do adultery. Because raping someone kinda falls under adultery
Rape within marriage is a very real thing, and very not-adultery.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 06, 2014, 10:13:04 pm »

So I take it you think marital rape is OK?

No, no form of rape is ok considering sex is one of those things that has to happen inside marriage and I think somewhere says that it needs to be consensual too

Who decided Man's nature- god, or Man?

Man decides
You can choose to be against your nature but any person that says they don't struggle with sin (anyone this isn't just Christians, and when I say sin I do mean the 10 commandments and such and yes *non Christians struggle with the same stuff) We as humans will always sin on this side of eternity. We have the choice to change but we do it anyways and we know what we do is wrong but we still do it.

So- choice can change the nature of a man. In that case, why haven't you changed yours? Why have you chosen to keep sinning, Cryxis?

For the same reason EVERY man still does, it is our nature. We may have the choice to change but changing your nature is not an easy task. I could change (and I will say I try not to sin but I still do) but it is difficult and temptation gets the better of me. Then there is Jesus who died to save me from my sin so I can pray forgiveness and I will have a clean slate till my next sin(s) and so on and so forth until I meet my end and am judged for the sins I have committed
Then god will wipe away my tears (yup this bit is scriptural, I can get the verse(s) if needed) and I enter heaven clean of sin and guilt and live eternity in companionship with god
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 185