Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190150 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1680 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »

I see no theological reason that it should be impossible to create true artificial intelligence, it seems to me to be a question for a person with more training in computer engineering. I don't think such AIs would have souls, no. I don't think there's any reason for biological components to be necessary. It's just a slightly damper, squishier type of machinery when you get right down to it.

I'm also pretty okay with the idea of artificial life. It seems to me that it would be a situation vaguely similar to the whole Aulë/Ilúvatar deal in the Silmarillion; not made in mockery, but in imitation of the works of the greater artist.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 27, 2014, 01:14:16 pm »

I don't think such AIs would have souls, no. I don't think there's any reason for biological components to be necessary.
So why don't you think they would have souls? There shouldn't be any problems with the process of thought, so would have to be something else.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 27, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »

Perhaps it just is that no one has a soul, and spiritual actions are actually "mental events interpreted in a spiritual way" (Gilbert Ryle. I think)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »

You misunderstand me. I believe that the level to which we have developed silicon based technology is far enough that we can classify true AI as a physical impossibility.

It shouldn't be too difficult to simply run a brute-force simulation of an entire human brain, which by all rights should achieve the desired result.

More than a bit impractical yes, especially at our current level of developmemt, but almost definitely possible even now, provided you had a few spare billion laying around for to buy a  ver large number of supercomputers and to hire some scientists to spend a few years precisely mapping someone's connectome.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 27, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »

It is called artificial for a reason though

it is the simulation of thought and not true thought
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1685 on: October 27, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »

I don't think such AIs would have souls, no. I don't think there's any reason for biological components to be necessary.
So why don't you think they would have souls? There shouldn't be any problems with the process of thought, so would have to be something else.

It seems unlikely to me that we would be able to make a metaphysical (is that the right word?) concept. But hey, I follow a religion the holy text of which specifically states that all things are possible, so I guess we could.

Perhaps it just is that no one has a soul, and spiritual actions are actually "mental events interpreted in a spiritual way" (Gilbert Ryle. I think)

RE has practical applications, I see!

Edit: But Cryxis, if it's a perfectly accurate simulation of thought it is indistinguishable from thought and therefore presumably thought itself.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 27, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »

I love RE :P

I love this thread.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

Logically (not that logic or reason matter in this field), one would think that extremely religious folks would be more inclined to accept the possibility of an artificial lifeform due to the fact that they posit that all life was artificially constructed.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:29 pm »

It is called artificial for a reason though

it is the simulation of thought and not true thought
The thing with thought is that (in the context of AI anyway), simulating thought is true thought. In the same way as a calculator performing 8^2 or something is simulating calculating the value of that expression, but by simulating it is also actually calculating the value.

It seems unlikely to me that we would be able to make a metaphysical (is that the right word?) concept. But hey, I follow a religion the holy text of which specifically states that all things are possible, so I guess we could.
People manage it when they make sprogs, why not when making computers?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1689 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »

I'd mark a distinction between building and reproducing. There is no thought involved in fertilisation and pregnancy. You don't have to design the brain and the nervous system, let alone try to build it. That's all taken care of autonomously by systems totally beyond your control, and largely beyond most people's understanding.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 27, 2014, 01:48:33 pm »

In theory the end result should be all that matters.  Whether a brain is grown or built should be irrelevant.  In theory.  Trouble is that you can't really define what a soul is in the first place, much less say for certain whether something has one.

It's all going to boil down to personal belief, and I guess in this case it comes down to what you believe a soul is.  Is it something that literally only humans have, is it something that comes from sapience, or is it something that comes from life?  Frustratingly, even with those narrow conditions it becomes easy to find a case that is blurry.  What is life?  What is sapience?  What about genetically engineered humans?  What about a human that's constructed from a template and raw materials?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:29 pm »

Again, the problem is solved if you assume nothing has a soul, and that existence is based on personal merit rather than a bestowed psychological pattern.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 27, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »

Again, the problem is solved if you assume nothing has a soul, and that existence is based on personal merit rather than a bestowed psychological pattern.
Yes but this is the Christian Beliefs thread. The one where we talk about things specifically from the perspective of Christians.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 27, 2014, 01:57:43 pm »

Christian beliefs and discussion yes....

I don't see why my comment wouldn't fit.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1694 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »

The majority of Christians believe in the presence of a soul. Edit: dangit I'm sure that wasn't underlined before.

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 185